February 20, 2009

Stop looking at my hair like that. Just stop.

My friend and fellow fancy pants author Karen Harrington and I presented a panel for the Writers' Guild of Texas earlier this week, called "A Year in the Life of Two Debut Authors", and Karen has done a good write-up on her blog of some of the topics we touched on, in an entry called "8 Tips for The Debut Author".

Clearly, Tip #9 should be "Have someone look at your hair before you go out in public". Well, what are you going to do? Karen is always so pretty and put together and organized, and I am just a big mess all the time. She's nowhere near as compelling of a cautionary tale as I am, though. So, you know, I've got that going for me.

I am working on a few entries about my trip to San Francisco. They should be posted at some point between today and the cooling of the sun and the subsequent end of civilization as we know it.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You're getting so fancy that you might need a publicist -- or stylist. Or perhaps you could court some kind of Hunter S. Thompson image?

Mary said...

Oh, there's one little floofy bit. It's fine.

But yes, it's a good idea to ask someone who isn't you, and whom you trust to be critical, "Is my hair okay? Shirt on right side out? Do I have toilet paper stuck anywhere?" But then relax, you really do look fine.

dana said...

"If you appear to be between the ages of 17-28 "

That is 100 percent awesome. You don't HAVE to be, you just have to appear to be!!

Jennifer Good said...

It's okay. It makes you look quirky or eccentric. It works for you.

Kassie said...

I think MTV just called you a hillbilly.

Robert Hudson said...

Man, when I was in high school, MTV was like this monster of cultural influence. I mean, for better or for worse (and it was the 80s, so probably the latter), they pretty much dictated what was popular and relevant in this country.

Now they're spammers. That's just SAD...

Tansasser said...

Before I read the entry, I looked and the picture and thought, "Ooh, her hair is so pretty." I kind of ignored you, Rob, because I was so overwhelmed by the shiny and voluminous hair. Then I read the entry and had to agree with the first commenter - Maybe you are indeed so fancy as to need a stylist.

Now that I'm looking at your comments, I think mtvtruelife needs to get a life - you are neither embroiled in a family feud (that you'd let play out publically, anyway) nor are you between the ages of 17-28. wtf?

Julia O'C said...

[Spamming a blog? WTF?]

My brother has tried to convince us for years that as an academic, his thoughts are too deep for him to care about things like his hair (or any personal hygiene, really). I don't buy it, but if anyone makes fun of your hair, you can always just say, "I'm published and you're not."

Anonymous said...

I saw a canvas bag online last night and immediately thought of you:

FANCY PANTS TOTE

I think you need this. And on really bad hair days, you could just put it over your head. Win!

Anonymous said...

"So, you know, I've got that going for me".

Which is nice.

I can't be the only Caddyshack fan out here.

Ellen Seidman said...

Belated note to say, what's wrong with the hair? Like Jenn says, it's totally you!