February 17, 2009

Letter to PRC


things that are green
Originally uploaded by mo pie
I'm writing more about my visit to the Bay Area (much more, in fact), but I wanted to share a letter I just sent to the president and to the marketing director of the Prentke Romich Company, known to monster fighters all as the makers of Schuyler's Big Box of Words.

Sometimes I feel like so much focus falls on people when they don't measure up to expectations, and yet there are so many people out there getting it right. I don't ever want to forget to say thanks when they do.





Hello again!

I just wanted to take a moment and let you know that I had a very successful visit to the San Francisco area this past week, visiting the
Bridge School and the TACLE Program at Redwood Heights Elementary School in Oakland. It was amazing to see how these programs work, and to meet the dedicated people who are fighting the good fight. It's one thing to talk about how augmentative communication technology SHOULD be implemented in a school environment, but quite another to see how people are making it a reality. It has given me a lot to think about, and to write about as well.

I would be remiss if I didn't let you know just how extraordinary
Kara Bidstrup was in making my trip such a memorable experience. From the very beginning, she was enthusiastic and very efficient in setting up these visits and getting me where I needed to be without any trouble at all. She was very warm and friendly, and was a real pleasure to be around. It was clear that the people we met at both schools held Kara in high regard, and I can't imagine that she could have represented PRC with any higher degree of professionalism and enthusiasm.

Beyond her role in facilitating my school visits, Kara was a real joy to talk to one-on-one. I was especially thrilled when she came to my book signing the next night at Book Passage in Corte Madera. Schuyler and Julie were unable to come on this trip with me, but they appeared at the event via teleconferencing. When Schuyler used her Vantage on the screen and audience members began asking questions, Kara stepped up and was able to show a Vantage Lite and demonstrate how it functioned. I received a number of very appreciative comments from people who had been curious about the device when they read about it in the book and loved being able to see one in person, as well as having a knowledgeable person on-hand to answer questions about it. It made me realize that I should have invited a PRC rep to be on-hand at my solo events all along.

The longer I work with your company, both in my capacity as a writer and advocate and more importantly as Schuyler's father, the more impressed I am with the level of competence and enthusiasm of everyone who works for you. It speaks volumes about PRC that I was thrilled at how amazing Kara was, but not one bit surprised. Thank you once again for everything you've done, both for me and my family and for all the other people out there who seek so desperately for a voice and find one, thanks to you.

My continued best wishes,

Rob R-H

8 comments:

Niksmom said...

As a parent currently in the midst of evaluating options and trying to make decisions which will help my son communicate with greater ease and fluency, this makes me feel very positive about PRC. As you know, getting the actual device for your child is only half the battle. I am looking forward to meeting the PRC rep in my area now. Thanks!

kris said...

Great letter, Rob. As someone who answers a lot of mail, it appears that it's much easier to put pen to paper only to complain. It makes letters like yours so much more gratifying!

Karen said...

You were so right when you said that our focus falls on people when they don't measure up rather than when they are getting it right. It was a pleasure to read your letter and hear someone do more than bitch and whine. I know there's power in complaining and trying to right a wrong (as you clearly know, having dealt with a problematic school system), but there is also power in praise. Thank you for remembering the efforts that so many are making to help others.

Kyla said...

They sound like a really wonderful company, across the board.

wen said...

I live in Redwood Heights. No kids, but glad that the taxes are going to fund programs like this! People complain all the time about Oakland schools, but there are some real gems. Glad your little girl is in a great program, too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for this very positive posting. I certainly need it tonight.
Best wishes

Ellen Seidman said...

That is great that you took the time to write. I agree with Kris, people more often than not will take the time to complain, but not compliment. PRC so deserved that letter.

Amelia said...

Kara has been wonderful in helping my 5-year old daughter out in using the Vantage Lite. She knows the devices inside out. She is very efficient and responsible, always willing to help and spare her time for us whenever we have a problem with the device. Wonderful to work with.