February 8, 2009

Muted anxiety

Recently, I've been reading a great deal of literature and material on the subject of special needs parenting (including an absolutely amazing manuscript I may be blurbing that I can't WAIT to tell you about in the coming months as it gets closer to publication), and the thing that strikes me once again is the incredible diversity of the experiences we have.

In the past, I've addressed how those of us writing about our experiences as "Shepherds of the Broken" do so with a variety of perspectives and approaches to what our kids face. Some of us are pragmatists, some infuse our writing with spirituality or religion, some of us use humor, some report from a place of despair, and others write with cheerful optimism. One of the reasons I have largely rejected the idea of People First Language is that it only really works as intended when it's applied as a universal standard, which assumes that there is a common attitude and approach to special needs parenting. In my experience, nothing could be further from the truth.

Lately I've been especially aware of how the experiences we face as special needs parents are so wildly divergent as to seriously challenge the notion that we really even have a comparable perspective at all. We do, of course; the challenges we face in receiving services, the grief over the loss of the imaginary child bourn from our expectations who is not to be, the fight that we take on because if not us, then who? -- these really do seem to be universal experiences. But our kids all have individual monsters, with wildly different effects on their hosts. The variety of disabilities can be daunting when take a step back and take it all in. God, the Universe, Fate, whatever you believe in -- someone or something seems to have a limitless (and limitlessly cruel) imagination when it comes to ways to break children.

Among children with disabilities, Schuyler is luckier than most, we are aware of this. When people meet Schuyler, they tend to take her at face value; her monster is hidden, for the most part, and doesn't obviously stamp itself on her outward appearance. Her facial structure is "normal" (whatever that means), her social behavior is largely consistent with that of a neurotypical kid her age, and she is completely ambulatory, albeit somewhat clumsy. Truthfully, however, Schuyler tends to skew a little younger when she finds random play friends; her delay and her lack of language still makes her a more ideal playmate for kids who are a few years younger than she is. There are concepts that she simply doesn't get, concepts that a nine year-old should understand. It's nice to pretend that she's on track with other kids her age just because she's attending age-appropriate mainstream classes part of the day, but the truth is more complicated than that, and it's going to become more and more of an issue as she gets older. Will she ever catch up to her peers? Nobody knows, but she's not there yet, not by a long shot.

Still, it's easy to put her monster out of mind. This might be a strange confession from someone whose very identity as a writer and public speaker is largely defined by special needs parenting, but I don't think of Schuyler as a child with a disability, not most of the time. It's not that I forget, exactly. Rather, the accommodations and adjustments that we make as her parents when we communicate or interact with her on a daily basis have become ingrained in our natural behaviors. It's simply how it is with Schuyler.

When your child says something to you, do you automatically repeat it back to her to make sure she said what you think you heard? Do you keep an expensive electronic device within arm's reach at all times for the times that sign language and Martian fail to communicate a concept? We do, and the odd thing is, we do so without thinking about it most of the time. We've accepted the weird as our new normal, and honestly, your normal strikes us a a little weird. Normal conversation with a child? What kind of futuristic, science fiction concept is that? Do you have a talking cat, too? That's just crazy talk, man.

There are times when it all breaks down, though. Schuyler is a willful child, and while her school is, in most respects, the very best place in the world for her, she's still a square peg sometimes. This has very little to do with her monster and almost everything to do with her father, I know. Schuyler has a natural distrust for authority and a taste for random acts of meaningless defiance, personality traits that are nothing like Julie and everything like me. Notes come home from school reporting various acts of mild insurrection about once a week or so. "Schuyler refused to use a pencil today" was the most recent, and when asked why, she simply stated that she wanted to use a pen, as if the issue was obvious. She clearly understands the idea of her teachers as authority figures. I just don't believe she accepts it, not entirely.

I recognize this as a strength as well as a liability; it's a trait that is going to serve her well when she's older. But it presents a challenge and requires a delicate balance. The issue becomes more complicated when she disobeys Julie and me, of course. Schuyler defies us, because she's nine and because she's Schuyler, and we push back, because we'd like to avoid raising a feral anarchist if we can.

But when she gets in trouble, Schuyler shuts down. She freezes up when we insist that she use her device to explain herself; it's suddenly as if she has never used it before in her life. I mean it, too; she actually used it more proficiently back when she really had never used it before in her life. The problem goes beyond stubbornness, too. She seems to legitimately be unable to calm herself to the point that she can construct a dialogue. Instead, she tries to defend herself verbally, but the more upset she gets, she more unintelligible she becomes. Her words, already identifiable mostly through context and inflection alone, run together into an fretful, angry stream of sound. Her meaning disappears, replaced by an incomprehensible anxiety.

These are the worst moments for us, and while they don't compare to the worst moments some families face, they nevertheless involve a near-complete shutdown of communication. In those moments, our frustration and being unable to simply parent our child is exceeded only by Schuyler's frustration at suddenly finding herself under a baffling glass dome, shouting into a void. In those moments, we all feel broken.

I don't know what the answer is. It saps our strength, all of us, because it shines a hard light on one of the lingering deficiencies of Schuyler's use of the Big Box of Words. It illustrates just how far we all have to go, and how hard we have to work, in order to make this unnatural form of communication feel like second nature to her.

Most of the time, Schuyler doesn't seem broken, not to those of us who love her and live every minute in her world. Even now, though, after all these years and as far as we've come with her, it is painful and shocking when the monster bites.


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as it breaks my heart when you guys experience this much frustration, I'm so glad that you share it with us. Posts like this one are the ones people like me, who plan to spend their lives working with kids all along the broken spectrum, need desperately to read. It would be easy for people to lump all children with one disorder into a neat little group and not understand when one kid didn't respond the way another did. That's just not how it is.

Working in schools, too, we sometimes forget to hear the parent's stories and not just the teacher's. Each child has their own puzzle to fit together and I wouldn't want it any other way.

mooserbeans said...

I agree with the first comment. I have used you as an example for the parents of my students and even recommended your book. You help teachers see things through parents eyes. As far as shutting down communication goes, I'm sure you and Julie have looked into ways to help her calm down when she is mad. I have a ten year old who despite being nuerotypical is very anxiety ridden. It has taken years of us teaching her how to "stop and breathe, go calm down, now come back and let's make a plan.." This only works half the time. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

On a less serious note, I just want to comment on how amazing Schuyler's outfit is in that first picture. As someone who avoids wearing matching socks for the joy of it, Schuyler- your socks rock! And the tights and skirt just make your outfit that much cooler. Keep it up Guapita!

StaceyEsq said...

Rob -- Your post resonates with me. My son is 7 and has a cochlear implant. So much of what you're describing vis-a-vis the frustration of communication is experienced in our home, as well. He works SO hard at school (mainstreamed in 1st grade) and when he gets home, he doesn't want to work anymore. We constantly ask him to "use his words," enunciate, speak slowly, but he just shuts down. I'm guessing that the common denominator is the difficulty in method of communication (e.g., Schuyler and her "Box of Words," my son and his "ear"). I cracked up when I read how you don't wish to raise a feral anarchist! That's brilliant! And a shared experience! But sometimes I place myself in my son's shoes and I, too, would be rebelling against the constant pressure of conforming, the constant effort to live in the hearing world, the growing realization that not everyone needs an "ear" to function. As a fellow shepherd of the broken, I appreciate the honesty and share the weight of the task at hand.

Anonymous said...

Rob, this feels lame and inadequate, because I have no good response to the content of this post. And it feels terribly misdirected, but at the same time I wanted to tell you how beautifully written it is. Your writing was always good but recently it's been doubly so.

As for the rest of it--thank you for speaking your truth to the world, so that those who aren't living it can better understand.

Anonymous said...

Rob - I'm a long-time lurker on your site, and frequently draw strength and inspiration from you in my own parenting challenges. What you described today sounded a lot like what I go through with my (ADHD) son when he gets frustrated. I know you are probably up to your ears in advice and good intentions, but we found "The Explosive Child" a helpful book. It has involved a lot of work on our part as parents, but we've found that the techniques help us work through those times when Casey is so frustrated or mad he can't function/think straight.
KarenNM

Anonymous said...

Your words, your insight, your understanding make music of the tragedy: it is heartbreaking, it is beautiful, and it is human.

Thank you for the music, Rob.

Liz Ditz said...

Lately I've been especially aware of how the experiences we face as special needs parents are so wildly divergent as to seriously challenge the notion that we really even have a comparable perspective at all.

As I've been corresponding with parents across the country, it is this variance that is really striking. What is difficult under Superintendent A or Principal B is easy in another district or school. It sort of makes a mockery of "Free and Appropriate Public Education" (FAPE).

When your child says something to you, do you automatically repeat it back to her to make sure she said what you think you heard My two step-sons and my daughter are all neurotypical, and that became a natural habit early on...because even neurotypical kids use language differently than adults. It isn't such a bad habit to develop in communicating with adults, even.

But when she gets in trouble, Schuyler shuts down. I think this is a common feature for even neurotypical kids. It was true for my neurotypical daughter, until she was about 16. I had to learn how to stop talking to her, and just be present.

One of my daughter's athletic coaches always wanted to "talk her down" after a poor performance. It was always a disaster. I finally convinced the coach to try giving my daughter the direction, "Go walk around until your breathing is calm, and then we'll de-brief" was the best way to go.

The deal is to explicitly teach your kid (broken or not) how to self-soothe and self-regulate. You can't do that kind of teaching in the moment -- you have to make it kind of a game when the kiddo is calm.

Truthfully, however, Schuyler tends to skew a little younger when she finds random play friends; her delay and her lack of language still makes her a more ideal playmate for kids who are a few years younger than she is. In my mind, this is not necessarily a bad thing. It seems to me (a mom whose children are now 30, 28, and 20) that children are even more speeded toward artificial maturity that they were when my kids were Schuyler's age. Is it possible that she is selecting developmentally-appropriate play-friends? Wait, that's not as pointed as I meant to say. What I'm trying to say that girls Schuyler's age are acting older than they actually are, than they can actually sustain, and Schuyler's wisely choosing to be with kids more appropriate?

Kyla said...

We feel similarly about KayTar. I mean, we feed her through a tube for example, life around here isn't exactly "normal"...but it is OUR normal. Sometimes, though, something hits me and I feel the weight of it, the heavy reminder of just how far from normal we are.

Azul said...

This one struck a chord.

We've had a rough(er than usual) few days with Chico.

Last night's bedtime included a symphony of shrieks, kicking the walls and me, and face slapping (his own, not mine).

Finally he burnt out and slept. I sat beside him, and, as you so perfectly put it, feeling the frustration at being not being able to simple parent my child.

Anonymous said...

My Asperger's daughter is hyperverbal, but her monster leads to the same incomprehension and frustration on my part as Schuyler's communication difficulties. It's hard to know what in the world to do when your child falls apart in a restaurant and, when you take her outside, says between enormous sobs and panicked shrieks that it is "evil" and she can't possibly go back in there. So while the manifestations of monsters vary infinitely, the frustration and sadness of the parents seems to be very much the same as we watch our kids struggle and fail to fit in, whatever that means. When the child is to all appearances "normal," as are Schuyler and my daughter, it becomes easier to be taken aback periodically when the monster rears a new aspect of its many heads. Greatest sympathy, and thanks for letting all of us know we are not alone in our feelings.

Linda Ball said...

I think you are touching on something more general than 'normal' vs. special needs children and parenting. We group ourselves in order to get social support, but sometimes too narrowly. Sometimes you are just a parent and your kid is unique but so are those in the fat part of the curve vis-a-vis some things. Blacks come together to rally around their equality as do gays and lesbian and childless people and old people. But we sometimes cut things too fine and start comparisons that deny membership in some 'group' or that exclude everyone else. Let's all be human. I'll accept your child, first as a child. (I have none.) I put my nickel in so she could communicate but I'll accept that sometimes emotions separate her from the box. (Interesting. How are Rob and Julie going to deal with that, long term. The rest of the world?) I'll be supportive, but I'll not try to make Rob be a 'typical white parent in Plano' nor Schuyler be a typical kid. I'll celebrate your uniqueness. And you mine. And all the rest of it.

Anonymous said...

Every time I read your words, I know that there are other parents like my husband and myself. So many of your experiences translate to ours and its amazing how well you can describe these things. Please keep writing, keep telling the stories of ppl largely unknown.

Melanie said...

I have to agree with the person who said "I know that there are other parents like my husband and myself. So many of your experiences translate to ours and its amazing how well you can describe these things". Daniel is 3 yrs younger than Schuyler and I find myself searching back to see if I can find the same behaviors and how you guys handled it. Thanks for sharing your story, as we are on the exact same path.

stitching aussie style said...

My Alex has dylexia. He is now 13. He never had a big box of words and looking back should have, or at least sign language or something....
He still shuts the world sometimes. Curls into a ball and refuses to acknowledge the world or those in it. When he was younger it could take a day before he would come back to us. It was absoutely heart breaking. The time frame is so little now. 1 - 2 hours sometimes less. At least now, you can have a one sided conversation with him and know that on some level he is hearing you, even if he doesn't like what you are saying.

stitching aussie style said...

Alex has dyslexia, but it was the dyspraxia I was meaning to write about.

Anonymous said...

As is often the case, you hit on a topic that I'm sure many of us think about all the time. I recently finished a collection of essays (arranged by John Kemp) called, Reflections From A Different Journey, The essays are written by individuals with disabilities. The primary premise is what these individuals would have wanted their parents to know while they were raising them. I highly recommend it.

The Greek Chorus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I can see aspects of all three of mine in this post of yours. Now let me tell you about the crappy time i have been having lately.
On Monday it was parents evening at my 5 year old school. The teacher was running over 40 minutes late. I went in and the long story short is that they want my son to undergo part exclusion. They want me to take my son at home at 12 instead of 3 pm every day. It's not in force yet, and trust me it won't be!!

He hits out when he gets frustrated and that day he hit out 3 times. I told the school before he started that he had difficulties and that i had tried to get him statemented but was turned down. Told the school that they needed to keep a daily diary on his behavior so that it can be used to help get him statemented. Guess when they finally started to do a daily diary?? THAT MONDAY!!

The fact that they want to exclude him is hopefully enough proof that i can try and get him statemented.

Feb 15th in the UK is an important date for those children that have statements and are due to start at a new school in September. Reason being is that is when the name of the next school should be on the statement.

This is when parents like myself will have a battle on their hands if the school that they don't want for their child is named.

I have found the perfect school for my eldest, unfortunately the local authority have already told me that they won't consider it as it's above and beyond their resources.

I knew this could happen so have spent a few thousand on getting the evidence needed to take the LA to a special needs court.

The school that the LA is pushing, accepts a wide selection of difficulties. My daughter non verbal skills are above average, her visual perception is also above average.
Basically she is far to bright for that school.

The final costs i hope will be round £15000 but 2 friends of mine who had to go to special need court was £22000 and £24000. The most scary thing is that a parent can fork out this amount of money and could still lose. Thankfully both my friends won their court case and both children have improved beyond recognition due to their parents fighting to have their child in the right educational environment.

Ellen Seidman said...

Hi, Rob. That was a really powerful post. We, too, feel that Max is relatively lucky to be doing so well. He also kind of "passes" for a typical kid, unless he starts drooling, that's always a giveaway, or you're around him long enough to realize that he doesn't verbally talk.

Sometimes, all the "extra" stuff we have to do with him gets to me. Like Schuyler, Max relies on a communication device. He still needs to be dressed, still needs help being fed, all the etc's.

For us, the problem is enabling. We're so used to taking care of Max and projecting his needs that he, in turn, expects us to do it all for him and he often doesn't even bother to use his communication device at home. He is much more independent at school—I almost keeled over when I went in one day and saw him punching away at the Dynavox and then sitting there by himself, eating lunch. At home, he wants one of us to do it.

I think I'm going to have to do the tough-love thing, soon, and force him to attempt doing more things himself. But, forcing him to do anything is hard, I'm a mushball with him (less so with my four-year-old). Actually, I believe the proper term is "wuss."

Anonymous said...

Got the school that i didn't want named on my daughter's statement so will be heading off to tribunal. There goes the money that we were going to spend on getting the roof/gutters repaired.

Jill393 said...

I guess the term to use is neurotypical, as in NOT broken, but I have two kids (one 5 and one 7) and they lose all ability to communicate at will too... my son (5) hears selectively, my daughter (7) cries when she thinks things are unfair and stops talking to me. It is not a really controlled thing, at least not yet. I think you may have discovered one of your daughter's normal kid traits. It may seem like it is not normal, but really, it is. She is a normally adjusted kid. Well done!

FridaWrites said...

There is nothing wrong with not being ambulatory or with having another disability. There is nothing that makes someone who walks (or speaks) better than someone who has more limited abilities.

We are whole as we are. Not monsters, not broken. Whole.

Many of us who are disabled want more function, and those of us who are parents of a kid who's not neurotypical want our child to reach every potential, but it's dangerous to see disability as tragic because that devalues our lives. Whether or not you think of your daughter as disabled, her encounters in public as an adult will remind her that she is. People's attitudes are far more hostile, hateful, cruel, and even violent than when we are accompanied by others. The real disability comes from people's refusal to accept us (and disability is part of the package) as they do others and their denial of our civil rights.

While I understand the thinking that allows us not to consider someone disabled--i.e., we accept someone for who they are and aren't thinking about accommodations that are a natural part of life--it is disability status that gives us protections under the law that are still greatly needed but largely ignored by the public, by educators, by employers, by business owners.

Similarly, we may not think of our friends' race, but in the 1960s, when people were denied their civil rights, you can bet it was in people's minds, and still is when discrimination still occurs. In terms of disability rights, we're not out of the 1960s. The laws are there but are violated and not enforced. Plus a lot of people would be upset if you said you didn't think of them as black (or female or homosexual, or some other minority status that they have).

You say you reject people-first language, but how do people with disabilities, including your daughter, feel about it? You're right, there is no universal standard, but there won't be one unless people start using the one that people with disabilities have suggested. We've changed from Negro to black to African American (and from more racist terms)--no one would think of calling someone by the first term, and we have to continue getting rid of disablist terms such as has happened in the medical field with the developmental disabilities classifications.

FridaWrites said...

There is nothing wrong with not being ambulatory or with having another disability. There is nothing that makes someone who walks (or speaks) better than someone who has more limited abilities.

We are whole as we are. Not monsters, not broken. Whole.

Many of us who are disabled want more function, and those of us who are parents of a kid who's not neurotypical want our child to reach every potential, but it's dangerous to see disability as tragic because that devalues our lives. Whether or not you think of your daughter as disabled, her encounters in public as an adult will remind her that she is. People's attitudes are far more hostile, hateful, cruel, and even violent than when we are accompanied by others. The real disability comes from people's refusal to accept us (and disability is part of the package) as they do others and their denial of our civil rights.

While I understand the thinking that allows us not to consider someone disabled--i.e., we accept someone for who they are and aren't thinking about accommodations that are a natural part of life--it is disability status that gives us protections under the law that are still greatly needed but largely ignored by the public, by educators, by employers, by business owners.

Similarly, we may not think of our friends' race, but in the 1960s, when people were denied their civil rights, you can bet it was in people's minds, and still is when discrimination still occurs. In terms of disability rights, we're not out of the 1960s. The laws are there but are violated and not enforced. Plus a lot of people would be upset if you said you didn't think of them as black (or female or homosexual, or some other minority status that they have).

You say you reject people-first language, but how do people with disabilities, including your daughter, feel about it? You're right, there is no universal standard, but there won't be one unless people start using the one that people with disabilities have suggested. We've changed from Negro to black to African American (and from more racist terms)--no one would think of calling someone by the first term, and we have to continue getting rid of disablist terms such as has happened in the medical field with the developmental disabilities classifications.