May 12, 2008

Things are afoot at the Purple Cow

The father of one of Schuyler's friends at school left this comment on an earlier post, and I thought since it was left as a public comment rather than an email, it would probably be okay to share here.

I think it gives a unique view of sharing a few moments in Schuyler's world, from a different perspective.


-----

eran has left a new comment on your post "Mosaic":

Tonight we celebrated my son's fifth birthday at the Purple Cow. For those of you not familiar with Plano, this is a fifties type diner in Plano that has a model train running on a track suspended from the ceiling. But the big attraction is that they serve purple milkshakes. Essentially, it's our kids' restaurant of choice.

I got there a little bit early before my wife and kids showed up and had a few minutes to have some thoughts to myself. For some reason I thought, "I wonder if we will see Rob and Schuyler here tonight." It was a fair enough assumption because we often see people who we know every time we eat there.

Well about 15 minutes after my family arrived, my daughter says "There's Schuyler!" Yup, I'm not lying, I really wondered if we would see her in there. Lauren knows Schuyler because she has been in all of Schuyler's classes at Gulledge. Lauren and I walked over and I introduced myself to Schuyler and Julie. Pretty much after that Lauren, Schuyler, and my son Scott were inseparable the rest of the time we were in the Purple Cow. They picked songs to play on the jukebox (Lauren always plays YMCA by the Village People). They eventually ditched the boring parents, sat at the bar and ordered purple and chocolate ice cream. I'm not sure who paid for that actually. Rob, please let me know if they charged you guys for my kids ice cream and I'll pay you back.

This was my first time meeting Schuyler and I have to confess I got excited the way someone does who sees a celebrity. I think because I read the book I built up a mental dialog and wanted to see it played out by the real actors. I asked her if she liked soccer and how many goals she scored this season. She raised 8 fingers. She had a very good season indeed! Lauren's been playing for two and half years constantly and she has only scored 3.

Schuyler is a riot. She has a lot of energy and she is laughing constantly. When the kids were all sitting down at the bar, I joined them. I enjoy watching Lauren hanging out with kids her own age. I see a side of her that I don't often see at home. To tell you the truth, I could understand almost everything Schuyler said to me tonight. She has learned to be expressive with her hands which does help. She had her device at Julie's table but she just wanted to hang out without it.

Julie came by and spoke with us a little bit. I asked her about the device which she showed off to me. I'm a computer programmer so my inner geek came out and I wanted to know all about it. After Julie and I talked I began think about how Schulyer could communicate in the future once she outgrew her device. I actually see her using a Blackberry sized device with a full QWERTY keyboard. This device would have a strong enough speaker so that she others could listen in a crowded room. I hope that as the AAC generation gets older the technology evolves with them.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun. Lauren kept asking me if Schuyler could come over tonight. I told her that Schuyler and Julie were eating with a friend and tonight was not a good night. However, maybe someday soon she can come over and we can have a soccer game.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool, Eran. Thanks for sharing your story!

Michelle said...

I love the Purple Cow. Very kid friendly place...and what a cool visual to have of Schuyler and crew enjoying the ice cream, the friends and the fun. Thanks for sharing.

meanderings said...

What a great post - made me smile!

Niksmom said...

It's always so awesome to hear how cool other people think our kids are, isn't it? I'm envious of Eran for getting to meet her! Maybe he will start thinking about designing for future AAC devices?

Anonymous said...

Great post -- FYI, Rob, the photo that should accompany this entry is marked as private in Flickr, so all I'm seeing is a big white box.

Robert Hudson said...

Hmmm, try it now.

PeanutandSweetPea said...

Nope, still a big white box.

Robert Hudson said...

No idea what to tell you. I see the photo, even when I log out of flickr and blogger and approach it cold, and even with the photo made public. Weird...

Becki said...

It's still blank for me, too. I had the same thing happen when I tried to blog a private Flickr photo. I had to remove the html from my post, republish, re-add the html and publish again. Major pain in the ass.

Solcat said...

I liked this post immensely. Rymer likes to keep up on Schuylerbits as he calls them. He's been fascinated by her since he saw that photo of her that halloween she was the bug fairy and used to make her a central character in the stories he'd think up..I know he'd lose his nine year old little mind over purple milkshakes and the Village People.
Funnily enough, he told me once that he's had dreams that she's been in, where there off on these grand adventures. Curious, I asked if she talks. His reply was, "not like we do but I knew every word she said."

Tammy said...

That is wonderful. So glad he took the time to share this with you. That's the best.

Mary said...

Great story Rob! Perhaps the best part? (Next to Schuyler's awesomeness that is!) the reference to Bill & Ted! LOVE IT