May 16, 2008

Getting Schuyler


I never know what I'm going to write about here, and really, it could be anything. (My elderly but faithful car Beelzebug is going to get a post soon, after all.) But in general, there have been two kinds of entries that come up the most in recent months: Schuyler and Schuyler's Monster.

I make no apologies for writing about the publication experience, by the way. If I am blogging about my life and in particular my life with Schuyler, then the fact that it's a memoir, and more specifically a memoir about her, means that when people say "We want to hear more about what's going on with Schuyler!", this is a huge part of what's happening right now. So yes, in general of late, you've gotten a lot of two things. Either I'm trying to make Schuyler come to life for you, or I'm talking about the book and its media exposure.

Tonight, I'm happy to announce that I'm going to do both.

The story that Fox 26 Houston reporter Greg Groogan and special projects photographer/editor Matt Matejka put together was broadcast earlier tonight in Houston. It looks like it's going to run in some other markets, including the Dallas area, so don't be surprised if you see my big, white, doughy Robba the Hutt head on your tv soon. And possibly during the dinner hour, too, for which I can only say that I'm truly sorry. It doesn't exactly do my poor heart good either, looking at that face every morning. You at least get to look like you.

It's a different kind of story than has been done before, I'll say that right off. It's of a somewhat higher pitch emotionally, for example. But I like it, and the primary reason for that is simple.

They captured Schuyler. In the short space of the story, and really mostly in the latter half of the story, they show the Schuyler that I know and love and have been trying for all these years to show to you.

A lot of people are curious about her. They want to see how she talks and how she uses her device, and they want to know some very simple things. For the people who have come to feel emotionally invested in Schuyler (and I am learning that there are more of them than I ever imagined), they want to know most of all that she's happy.

And if there's nothing more that you take away from Greg's story, I hope that you'll see just how happy she really is. I see Schuyler's happiness and I want it for myself, I want to laugh like that every day of my life.

And the funny thing is, because of Schuyler, I usually do.

Thanks, Greg, Matt and everyone else at Fox 26.

MyFox Houston | Schuyler's Monster: Texas Dad Writes Book About Child's Disease

38 comments:

Ariel said...

What a wonderful segment! The only part I'm not so sure about is the literal monster imagery that they kept playing. I like my metaphor a little bit less literal. :)

Kirsty Worth said...

Thats such a nice piece. Its great to see Schuyler, shes such a wonderful little girl, she could charm the socks of anyone. But really, its really well put together and honest, quite deep! I love it!

Kassie said...

fantastic. thanks for posting it for us non-texans :)

Schuyler said...

It is wonderful seeing Schuyler in motion. The still photographs don't give her the same spirit that her movement, her hands, her expressive in that piece does. The way they weaved your relationship with God through the segment seems so very American. I've lived in the UK for 6 years now and it is a rare show that comments on a turning from and returning to faith.

robyncz said...

Oh my. The monster stuff did sort of cross the line into hard-core cheese, but I loved seeing and hearing Schuyler in action. Thanks for sharing the clip!

Anonymous said...

That was awesome,thank you for the insight.

Sandi said...

I loved it! It was very cool to finally see Schuyler in action, and she is just adorable. Thanks for posting this for us that don't live in Texas. I really enjoyed it.

Amy said...

Great story! You have such a beautiful daughter. I love it that you say she's taking ownership of her weirdness. We should all be as wise as Schuyler.

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

Wow, I get it :) What a fantastic laugh she has! It's exactly how I imagined it while reading the book. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

She is looking more and more like Julie every day!

Alaska Kim

Anonymous said...

Oh, my heart, my heart.

Thank you for linking to that story, Rob; it was wonderful. And thank y'all for all the work you're doing to help other parents and kids. You've not only helped to give Schuyler her voice, but you and Julie and she are giving others voices, too.

We love y'all.

Kisses from Tennessee.

Anonymous said...

Look at that gorgeous girl! Watch out Hollywood, there's a new heart-throb in town!

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a great Segment.. I am right in the middle of your book now.. it gives us a better persective on just how great and happy Schuyler is!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! That was great!

kris said...

That was awesome. Seriously. She's magical and illusive and impossible to take your eyes off. And I love the use of the T-Rex in the piece.

Tammy said...

Wow, they did a nice job. What a wonderful portrayal of Schuyler...she is delightful.

Single Mom Seeking said...

Love it... especially the baby photos! Looks like Schuyler got a manicure, so sweet!

Anonymous said...

That was lovely!

bunnybea said...

That piece was beautiful. Thanks for the link. And after reading the book I now want to read it all over again with the beautiful image of your family on the bench in my mind.

Anonymous said...

That was a great segment. Y'all need to be on 20/20 or 60 Minutes or something so we can see even more!

Kelsey said...

It was such, such a joy to finally really hear Schuyler's voice and see her laughing right along with her movements - she has such a strange kind of delicate sense of motion and it was so touching to see it in action. Great clip! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Anonymous said...

Long term lurker emerging to say how much I liked the clip :) Her personality and spirit shone through so clearly!

Amanda said...

Thank you for sharing that. I'm in agreement with everyone who said it was great to see Schuyler in action! I'm actually in the middle of your book right now and think it's amazing.

Unknown said...

That was a really excellent story. Thank you for sharing a link so those of us outside TX could watch too.

Galen said...

The news segment was very good...Schuyler's spirit spoke loud and clear!

Anonymous said...

The video took forever to load on my computer, but it was totally worth the wait. Wow.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find some kleenex.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. She is so stinkin' tall, isn't she?! Goodness. I never pictured her so lanky.

Thanks for sharing all of this, Rob. It is so wonderful to see.

Christy said...

So many times over the years, when I read about Schuyler, I cried. This piece made me smile.

She is an amazing girl!

Niksmom said...

The beauty of her spirit and the purity of your love both shone through so clearly. Beautiful and moving.

Lauri said...

I loved it.. thanks for sharing

An Unlikely Retirement said...

I don't even know what to say - it's like meeting an old friend you haven't seen in a long time, and then realizing that you'd never met. Part of me feels that I know you, and know your family, but it's only through your blog and book. Thank you for sharing Schuyler.

Holly said...

I've been reading/lurking around your blog since my interest in medically necessary blogs entered my life when our daughter was born. Love it, love your truth, spunk and general love of your child. And what'ela know I was watching the news tonight and there you were!

Caleigh's Blog
www.hollydgray.blogspot.com

Robert Hudson said...

Tonight? Really? Where did you see it? (You can email me if you don't want to advertise where you live here.)

Holly said...

I live in Arlington, TX so it was on Fox, I think the 9 0'clock news. Hope this helps!

J said...

This is the first time I've heard Schuyler's voice and the beauty of it made me cry.

Erin said...

That was such a wonderfully well done piece and it was great to see Schuyler in action. Although a tad cheesie, I did love that they used her dinosaurs in the segment too. Everytime I see those dinos in a toy store, I think of her.

Melanie said...

You guys are so lucky, she is wonderful. I sat and cried when watching the interview. It is all very overwhelming isn't it? You are familar with my son Daniel (2 1/2), you did a post on him a while back, he has the same diagnosis your daughter has, unfortunately Daniel has some of the other things that come along with his PMG (seizures, cerebal palsy, developmental delays). It is so inspiring to see how well she does with her device. We are getting Daniel's device in the next couple of months, most likely the same one Schuyler has, and I can't wait to see how well he does. I can only hope that he is able to fight his monster as successful as Schuyler seems to be doing with hers!