November 13, 2006

Hootenanny


Yo.
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
There's not much new to report about Schuyler other than the completely uninteresting details of the cold that she's enduring (two words to strike fear into your heart: green elevens) and the (probably inappropriate) high black boots she wants me to get for her. (She's currently wearing a camouflage half-jacket and grapey purple hair, so I suspect we all know how this is going to end.)

In the interest of continued shameless self-promotion, let's take a look at the newly-expanded list of speakers for the MediaBistro "Blogger to Author" panel in December:

-----

-- Jessica Cutler, author of The Washingtonienne: A Novel (Hyperion), a book loosely based on her blog about her raunchy exploits as a congressional staff assistant

-- Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan, author of Apartment Therapy (Bantam), and New York editor and co-founder of Apartment Therapy, the design blog the New York Times called "quietly addicting"

-- Kate Lee, literary agent at ICM, whose client list includes prominent bloggers, reporters, editors, publishers, novelists, and memoirists

-- Laura Mazer, Managing Editor at Seal Press (an imprint of Avalon), which has published numerous titles that began as blogs

-- Robert Rummel-Hudson, author of the forthcoming memoir Schuyler's Monster (St. Martins Press) which began as an online journal about how his life was transformed when his daughter Schuyler was diagnosed with an extremely rare neurological disorder that left her unable to talk

-- Rachel Kramer Bussel, moderator, Senior Editor at Penthouse Variations, writes The Village Voice's Lusty Lady column. She's edited 13 erotic anthologies and her first novel, Everything But..., will be published by Bantam in 2008.

-----

I think it looks like an awesome mix of writers and publishing professionals, even though I think making a parenting memoir interesting in the context of everything else on the program is going to be, and I think I'm putting this charitably, challenging. I exchanged very nice email with moderator Rachel Kramer Bussel and I think this is going to be a fun and well-run panel. The end-all hootenanny of hootenannies!

I've seen photos of the other participants, and yeah, everyone's all young and good looking and hip. Well, I should say, everyone else. I clearly have some work to do. ("Hey, look at that. I had no idea Ernest Borgnine had a blog!")

If my book advance pays out in time, I do believe I may just do something that I don't believe I have ever done in my life, or at least not since I was taller than four feet high and able to choose my own clothes. I think I might buy a suit. An actual, fancy pants snazzy suit.

You know, I should get a semi-stylish haircut, too. And yeah, I know. The beard. I know.

29 comments:

Ariel said...

Hey! Laura Mazer was my managing editor! (Meaning, the editor who wrangled my book through the production process, as opposed to Brooke Warner, who was my editor editor.) Say hi to her for me!

Anonymous said...

Ernest Borgnine...that made me laugh out loud.

Long story, but I can relate. I don't like looking at myself through the eyes of people meeting me for the first time. Ugh. Also, shopping sucks.

Good luck. I'm excited for you.

sunShine said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You will do fine at the panel, whether or not you get a new suit or a stylish haircut!

Anonymous said...

Rob -- what is the latest with the trip to see the butterflies?

Robert Hudson said...

I still plan to do it, hopefully this spring if I can. It's going to depend largely on the status of the book and the level of poverty in which I find myself at that time.

Anonymous said...

I was also curious if you've ever taken Schuyler to Six Flags in Dallas? I went there years ago when my uncle used to live in Grand Prairie.

alison said...

I have to say that I think the scruffy look is hot on you.

Remember: I'm married now, so I can throw stuff like that around. :P

Anonymous said...

don't dis the beard!

knock 'em dead.

Ignatz

Anonymous said...

I've attended a lot of panel sessions at various conferences, and it's a fact that the panelist who doesn't quite fit the mold of the rest always is the most enjoyable to watch and listen to - and I mean that in a positive way. Be who you've always been; it's been working for you this far!

Jammies said...

Rob, it's not "just" a parenting memoir, it's a book about Schuyler. If reading your blog fascinates a (scientific estimate) zillion people, hearing you talk about it live will fascinate the individuals in the room.

Anonymous said...

You are so big time. Whoa. Get the suit, get the haircut. Beard looks all author-like. Maybe you should keep it.

bozoette said...

I like the beard.

Gaijin Mama said...

Hey, what's wrong with parenting memoirs? Maybe I'm weird, but I'd much rather read about families than strangers having sex.

Robert Hudson said...

Heh. Yeah, you might be weird...

Robert Hudson said...

I have to say that I think the scruffy look is hot on you.

Remember: I'm married now, so I can throw stuff like that around. :P


Oh, don't worry, I've never discouraged anyone from saying stuff like that.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Your going to be awesome because ultimately, yours is a love story.

Never uninteresting.

Anonymous said...

How about a makeover? (Believe me, I'm not trying to be a jerk). It's amazing how much of a transformation they can make.

Anonymous said...

Are you thinking "Goth" for Schuyler, or did I misread the inferences ?

Anonymous said...

ps You should totally keep the beard. Pamper it, take it to the barber's when you go for that pre-panel tweak.
At best, it will stop you from being mentioned in the same breath as other, older,( considerably less comely ) authors who are sans beard, and I'm not mentioning names....

Anonymous said...

Hey, Rob, check out your link-backs! Apparently your writing is loathesome!

He doesn't go into WHY, but if you keep reading, it's pretty clear that he is a jealous unpublished writer, and a shitty one, too.

Get used to it! The untalented and resentful always come after those who make it.

-C

Robert Hudson said...

I hadn't noticed that. Wow, loathesome. Well, okay then. My first book-jacket blurb!

Anonymous said...

Everyone else? You probably don't even notice it but seriously, you're looking damn good. Better now than in some of your older photos and it's not just the weight loss, it's something else. Whatever it is, it makes you pretty hot. I mean this purely objectively, of course not in a "ooh Rob's hot" way heh.

Anonymous said...

Donna said: Loathsome was John Birmingham. Rob was material. You could click on either word.
Author is a hack just from reading a few of his entries, you've been called worse things by better people Rob, not to worry.
And he has no comments, therefore no following.
Have we found someone that knows Oprah so that we can get it to be in her book club?
Lets get cracking people, so that Rob can see the flutterbies.

Robert Hudson said...

Yeah, I've heard worse. I just liked having that there big fancy pants SAT word thrown at me. Loathesome! I feel like I should put on a tie.

As for Oprah, welcome to every writer's dream, even those who don't want to admit it. I do think Schuyler would be a hoot on tv, though.

Amy said...

You'll be great, don't worry! I vote for keeping the beard too. Just don't make the mistake my spouse did: trying to trim it yourself with one of those mustache/beard trimmer kits, accidentally taking out a huge chunk of hair and having to shave off the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

Green 11s?

I'm guessing runny boogies.(?)

Hope she feels better, mine just went back to school today after a nasty cold.

Gwensarah is right too. You're looking good Holmes. Seems to be coming from within, that Stuart Smalley talk must have done you good.

Mark G

Keri said...

Green Elevens!!! ROFLMAO!

*gasping for breath*

You are too much, Rob! ;)

Anonymous said...

I really thought you had a shot at being the most interesting until I got to the phrase erotic anthologies. I mean, how can anyone compete with that?

Also, I am glad you know about the beard. I didn't want to be the one to say something.

Anonymous said...

Laura Mazer was is my managing editor, too!

I hope the panel was a blast!... With Rachel Kramer Bussel, surely it was!

I really look forward to reading your book.

See you in NYC when I'm there in January, I hope!

Best,
Rachel Sarah
www.singlemomseeking.com

Author of:
Single Mom Seeking: Playdates, Blind Dates, and Other Dispatches from the Dating World