November 20, 2006

Better


Yes. No.
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
Schuyler and I bought these Chuck Taylors over the weekend. Think of it. Shoes with something to say, worn by a little girl who can't say a word. That's some fated footwear right there.

There's one good thing about depression, a great thing, actually, even if it's a little manic. When it finally lifts, you feel fucking awesome, like nothing can beat you. You may not suddenly have all the answers, but you feel like you do, and that's not nothing.

I'm sure there's a chemical element to the passive of a depressive episode. I'm not sure I care so much. It's the other reasons for improvement that interest me more. There's clarity of thought and good advice of smart friends who listen and care, and improved health, too.

And exercise. I've started hitting the treadmill at my apartment complex's workout room for an hour a day, walking at 3.5 mph. Not exactly tearing it up, but compared to the ass-to-couch regimen I've been following, it's a start.

Mostly, however, it involves reaching the point where you're just not going to be down anymore. That's how it works for me. I never know exactly why I go into a down period, other than identifying the things that trigger it on the surface, and likewise I have no idea exactly what makes my mind arrive at "Oh, fuck this", either.

But I feel better, and stronger, and ready for the next few weeks. I need to finish the book, have a productive and successful New York City trip, and turn thirty-nine without stepping in front of a bus.

I can handle that.

9 comments:

jeesau said...

Ah, yes, the ol' chemical tide...your description of how a downer period lifts, and how you have no idea how it did -- spot on. Had one of those a few weeks ago. Guess we just have to be thankful when they go and not worry about the next one.

Happy Thanksgiving.

P.S. Love those shoes!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are taking care of yourself, because you are so worth it. Well done on the treadmill - exercise is my anti-depressant, and the fact that it makes a visible physical difference is a nice bonus.

tiff said...

an HOUR at 3.5 MPH is pretty good. Way to rock!

Michelle O'Neil said...

The down moments are just the gathering of momentum for the upswing.

Glad you're feeling better!

Bev Sykes said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. But you mean that I have to get out and move in order to feel better? How much do I hate being depressed? Gonna have to think about this.

Anonymous said...

Love the Chucks! Yes I agree with Michelle. The lows are preparing you for the highs. Still love the site and what an inspiration to us all!
-Shannon, Austin

sunShine said...

Love the shoes! Glad that you are feeling better. Any exercise is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Love the shoes! where did you bought them?