April 30, 2006

Kelly


Schuyler & Friend
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
Two things of note this weekend, both of them accomplishments by the ladies of the house. Don't look at me like I'm going to do something equally cool. It's the weekend, man. If I even shave, it's a miracle. (And I didn't.)

First of all, congratulations are in order for Julie, who got a big promotion at The Monolith yesterday. Every time we move, she transfers with the company, which is one of the cool things about working for a big corporate monster like The Monolith, but she always ends up having to take a different position, depending on what's available. Well, as of today, she's back on the management team, in her old position as the store's Community Relations Manager. How weird is is that she and I are both doing the same thing in our respective places of employment? We are Ministers of Propaganda. Say what you will about this household, but it is definitely NOT a no-spin zone.

The other thing that happened yesterday involves Schuyler. I bought her a Cabbage Patch Doll, partly because she's been a very good little girl for quite some time without much in the way of reward and partly to distract her from the Mermaid Barbie that she had become fixated on in the store, despite its near-identical appearance to the Mermaid Barbie she already owned. Her sudden interest in a fat-headed, buck-toothed ugly doll seemed like a healthy improvement over her fixation on perfect, big-boobied Barbie.

She brought her Cabbage Patch Doll home, and I told her that she'd have to name it. This was a reach, and perhaps an unnecessary one since in addition to having the designer's name printed on their asses (no, really, I didn't believe it until Julie told me and had the doll moon me), Cabbage Patch Dolls come with names and birth certificates. Where's the fun in that? That would be like giving birth a baby and not being allowed to name it. (Not to mention someone's name tattooed on its ass.)

I had no idea what she would do, but I told her to get her device and tell me her doll's name. After she considered it for a few moments, she started deliberately typing on her Big Box of Words.

And that's how we learned that her new friend's name is Kelly.

Now here's the thing about that. Schuyler doesn't, to my knowledge, know anyone named Kelly, although she obviously heard the name somewhere. She certainly doesn't have any friends named Kelly. But she knew that was her doll's name, and more importantly, she knew how to spell it. She got it wrong at first, and then she figured out what she got wrong and fixed it.

What this means is that Schuyler understands the functions of letters well enough to work out how to spell a word that she wants to say. It also means that she grasps the basic rules of spelling, and therefore reading. AND, it means that she understands the relatively abstract concept of arbitrarily selecting a name for an inanimate object that represents a living being.

Which might not impress you if you've got your own little neurotypical wonderchild at home. But reading and spelling and abstractions are not easy for a nonverbal child. Stop for a moment and ask yourself how you would teach a mute child to read. Imagine that you could never get any kind of feedback, no repetitions of the things, no reading out loud to confirm that the things you are trying to teach are taking hold. You just read and provide tools like the BBoW and hope and pray for a sign that it's taking root inside a unique and broken brain whose workings have already baffled the world's leading expert on her monster.

So yeah. We're extremely proud of her. I am more convinced than ever that she's going to confound and exceed the world's expectations. I'm counting on her to write the rebuttal to my book one day.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

What have you and the school been doing with her, in the way of learning to read and spell? Just reading to her?

That is wonderful news. I bet she'll be spelling to you on that box by the time she's seven.

Anonymous said...

Dear Rob,
I'm so happy for you!
Miellyn

Anonymous said...

Oh, fabulous fabulous Schuyler! It must be so frustrating, for you and for her, that you can't easily get a grip on her progress and capabilities. Still, sudden windows like this one must be beautiful.

Also, congratulations, Julie!

Anonymous said...

Great news all around, Rob.

Christine G. said...

Incredibly happy for Schuyler and her naming and spelling skills. The BBoW is awesome because it will give her the chance to sound out things that she is speling and she'll get the ear for how things are pronounced. Similarly, we didn't have a BBoW for our kids but they both used a Leapfrog Learning Desk from the age of 3 onward. You slip this card into the thing, it says the word, you put magnetic letters in the holes in the card (we were always losing the dang letters all ove the house) and then it phonetically makes the sound of the letter, and says the word. A kid can sit there and press each letter in the word over and over to get its individual feel, and then it would say the word so you got the blend.

Then, they introduced Blend combos like /ch/ /sh/ /ck/ and so forth.

Both my kids were reading before preschool.

Geoff has a problem spelling because he writes something and to him it looks correct (selverwear) for silverware) and then he fights with me that he DID spell it right and that i'm wrong. He has a learning disability, so we're working with him on that.

Sorry, that was long winded. i'll shut up now.

:) said...

Rob, that is HUGE news for Schuyler! I'm so thrilled for all of you.

Anonymous said...

How long before she starts checking out her own butt in the mirror...? :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful for all three of you. I can't wait to hear when Schuyler writes her first poem or story (they don't have to be too long!).

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, fascinating news. It looks like she's going to surprise you all the way along. What a leap!

Anonymous said...

You go girls! Hooray for Julie and the long awaited promo, ironically, back to where she belongs. Clearly, she is excellent management material and shame on the Monolith for taking so long.
And, oh my, Schuyler (which you do pronounce like sky-ler yes not like the schuylkill river schuy?). Of course we who have been following know that she is extraordinary but now we can have the chuckle of picturing her some day penning "Daddie Dearest".
My own dear 3 children, who learned at an early age that to make me laugh was to divert my anger and most consequences, have lovingly (gosh, I hope it's loving) referred to me as Mommye Dearest since the movie came out.
Alright Rummel-Hudsons it's about darned time we see some light in this recent tunnel!

Anonymous said...

The females in your life rock!

My youngest daughter's name is Kelly...I think Schuyler made a fabulous choice!

Iselyahna said...

Have I mentioned lately that I love. her. ? ... Now I seriously need to find out where to get that hair dye.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone that reads what you write has ever doubted that Schuyler is brilliant... just a quiet ninja.

Linda Ball said...

She did attend that wedding where Reckless Kelly played but that's a reach. Scruffy singer to Cabbage Patch doll. I didn't last until the band played myself. It would be interesting to try to get her to tell you how she came up with that name, but I guess you did.

My small investment in the BBOW seems huge now.

bozoette said...

Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Rob, that is just wonderful. I am so rooting for Schuyler!

Best regards, Tom Dean

FiveAcres said...

This is terrific! Loved the epilog, as well.

Nightfall said...

"Schuyler's Rebuttal" -- I can't wait. ;-D This and the following post just about made my heart explode.

grandefille said...

Add congratulatory hugs to the customary kisses from Tennessee.


Go Rum-Hud girls! Go go go go!

Anonymous said...

We actually read to her on regular basis. She gravitates toward reading. Magazines, newspapers, anything. Most importantly though is that the school called me Friday to tell me that she read two stories w/ her device to the techers. We are so proud of her!
Julie

eliza said...

Shit, Rob. This is awesome.

CameraDawktor said...

That is so fantastic and I bet your heart was filled with so much pride and WONDER!!

Schuyler is amazing and she's at that age where her intelligence is going to start blowing you away regularly. That's awesome that she can spell so well and only be 6(?) My 7 year old is learning to read well and spell and its fantastic to watch. Even more so for you watching Schuyler.

But much of reading is hearing the sounds, and Schuyler can hear. And then you learn how the sounds fit together, and she can hear that too! So it only stands to reason that she will be extremely proficient at this. Probably more so than the rest of us, with writing anyway....as her main source of communicating with the world is through writing.

Isn't that wonderful....Schuyler will be following in her Daddy's footsteps!

Sonja Streuber, PMP(R), SSBB said...

Wow! Rob, this is *huge*. Congratulations to Schuyler!

... said...

I am more convinced than ever that she's going to confound and exceed the world's expectations.

I've been saying this all along Rob.

That's awesome news. I love reading about her progress.