May 26, 2014

Insufficient Instrument

Today at Support for Special Needs:
For a guy who's not too smart, I think I do a reasonably good job of navigating the chaos around me. And yet, it is in respect to the most important part of my world where I think I know the least. Schuyler has always been, and remains today, the central mystery of my life. I think I made peace with that years ago, mostly because it is in the journey to understand her mystery that I've grown the most as a person, and found my closest approximation to lasting happiness. I've accepted that as lucky as I am to have Schuyler in my life, I'm mostly not going to get her.
It's beginning to occur to me that I'm not the only one.

1 comment:

NRenee said...

As a neuropsychologist (so I suppose I have a personal bias here), I would encourage you to seek out a professional who is familiar with assessing kids with significant communication challenges--most schools do not have access to the sort of assessments that would suit Schuyler and her skills best. Also, doing outside testing gives you control over whether the school even receives the results.

Since that professional would most definitely not be using the same measures, no need to wait a year!