November 26, 2012

It's Complicated

This morning over at Support for Special Needs, I discuss the complicated nature of my relationship with Schuyler, which is no doubt both completely unlike any other in the world and at the same time identical to any family with a disability. We're all navigating varying degree of happy and sad. It's complicated for us all.

By the way, speaking of complicated, today is my birthday. Actually, it's not all that complicated at all. I'm forty-five. Forty-five human years. That's youthful for a tortoise, or a tree. It's not feeling all that young to me. It beats the alternative, as they say, but still. Forty-five feels like it falls squarely between kind of awful and frankly surprising.

On the other hand, I might get a chinchilla for my birthday, so you know how it goes. "Strikes and gutters, ups and downs," as the Dude says. I abide, too.


6 comments:

Renee from GA said...

Dude. I turned 46 in October and "kind of awful and frankly surprising" is the best description of forty-mumble birthdays I have ever heard. I should probably say a cheery "Happy BD!" but I know you will understand why I close with, "Hang in there!" instead.

Korinna said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO AN AWEOSOME DAD!!!
Hope your little one is doing well. Hope your birthday wishes come true and you get that chinchilla you want too adorable!

KM

Natalia said...

Happy birthday :)
If you get a chinchilla, can you post a picture of it? Pretty please? I love those furry cuties.

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday to you. And anyone who gets a photo from "The Seventh Seal" is ageless and awesome, at least in my book.

wkmtca said...

when you are 57 you will know how young 45 is...

Shannon said...

Oh man. I think your "kind of awful but frankly surprising" comment sums it up perfectly. I am 42 and I've felt that way since I was 29. And last night as I was watching a video of a band in concert thinking, "I'd LOVE to see them live!" which quickly transitioned to "OMG if I went to that concert I'd probably get trampled to death in the mosh pit" it hit me: I'm f'ing old. But then again, I was also just looking at chinchillas (for my 8 year old, but I know it'd be my pet). So at least I'm in good company. Happy Birthday, Rob. Get the chinchilla.