July 23, 2012

First

My latest post at Support for Special Needs addresses People First Language. I've written about this before, and I'm not sure my feelings have changed about it very much, but a discussion I had online recently made me think it might be time to revisit the topic. So here you go.

In other news, it is entirely possible that someone in a managerial situation in the city of Chicago might be saying to themselves, "Say, I'd really like to hire that Rob fellow to come work for me in my Factory of Hopes and Dreams, if only I could meet him face to face and determine if I like the cut of his jib."

Well, good news. Both me and my jib will be visiting next week. Let's make it happen.


3 comments:

Christine said...

Thank you so much for posting this! It needed to be revisited. As a disabled person, I know very well that words can hurt...but I also don't need people pussyfooting around me, using what PFL or anyone else designated as the 'proper language.' It only diminishes what I, and Schuyler, and everyone else who lives life with a disability goes through...and that doesn't help anybody. Thank you for your honesty!

little.birdy said...

Tell Schuyler I like her rancor!

Annie said...

http://div12perspectives.asha.org/content/21/2/60.abstract?etoc

saw this and thought of Schuyler..