November 28, 2009

Road Trip with Schuyler


Too cool to smile
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
Schuyler and I are coming to North Carolina this week, for the North Carolina Assistive Technology Program's 2009 Assistive Technology Expo. Julie has to work (retail and the holidays make for scant flexibility, as some of you doubtless know already), so it'll just be the two of us.

Will there be trouble and chaos? Come see us and find out. (Smart money says chaos for sure.)

Here are the details:

December 3, 2009
10:00am (Opening Session, Salons A, B, C, D ) - Keynote Address: “Fighting Monsters with Rubber Swords” - Robert Rummel-Hudson (Author, Parent)

12:30pm (Salon C) - “Implementing the Big Box of Words: A Parent’s Perspective” - Robert Rummel-Hudson, Author, Schuyler’s Monster: A Father’s Journey with His Wordless Daughter (St. Martin’s Press 2009) - Listen to a father’s observations on the implementation of AAC in the daily life and school curriculum of a nonverbal child.

----

December 3 - 4, 2009
2009 Assistive Technology Expo
North Carolina Assistive Technology Program
North Raleigh Hilton, Raleigh, NC

What: The Assistive Technology Expo is an exciting two-day event designed to increase awareness and provide current information on assistive technology. Conference offerings include an exhibit hall (on 12/03/09 only) featuring 30-40 vendors exhibiting the latest in assistive technology products and services, 40 concurrent sessions, a poster session and a Keynote address. Featured Tracks: Work, Education, Vision, Home Modifications and Promoting Healthy Living/Recreation.

Who: Each year between 550-700 registered participants from across the country attend the NC AT Expo and approximately 1250 attend the free Exhibit Hall. Participants include: persons with disabilities, family members, teachers, therapists, Vocational Rehabilitation and Independent Living staff, rehabilitation counselors, employers, engineers, college professors, medical staff, college and university students, and authorized state purchasers.

9 comments:

Liz Brooks said...

This is where I whine that Raleigh is a smidge too far from me in VA to make a casual trip, and I can't quite justify taking time off from work just to try to meet a famous blogger who doesn't know me from Adam.

Hope you enjoy NC, though!

ChristineQ said...

When are you bringing Schuyler to DC or Baltimore? Imagine that child at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum (where the dinosaurs are)... She would love it!

Elizabeth said...

This sounds very impressive -- I wish that you could could come out to Los Angeles and do a talk here. I always feel panic when I think about AAC/AT and my daughter -- like I haven't pushed it enough, done it enough, worked on it enough, etc. I just feel like the ball was dropped long ago in the school system and I just can't seem to summon the energy to pick it up. What I need is a kick in the ...

Cheryl said...

Doesn't Schuyler have school? Christine, I'm from DC/Balto. You into activism? Always looking for people who don't think I'm weird...

Candace said...

You have to try som good EASTERN NC BBQ.... Nothin' like it, trust me, a native E. N. Carolinian! So close, wish I could make it!

Rena said...

sounds great. good luck, and enjoy the chaos.

Unknown said...

glad to have a chance to meet you ans Schuyler at the Conference. Always good that speaks my language.

Jeff said...

I don't have twitter so I can't use the twitter response function. I wanted to ask you about this.

"TSA agent gave Schuyler a hard time because she couldn't verbally answer "What's your name?" at security check."

I don't think I've ever been asked for my name by TSA. They just look at documents.

Does she not have ID? Do they ask kids that?

Maybe I'm being asked and don't remember it.

tiff said...

I can't believe I missed out on meeting you, or trying to meet you. Truly, I must get out more. Why, you could have come up to Ye Olde Wake Foreste and marvelled at our compete and utter lack of things to do!