April 28, 2008

Deus ex machina


The Management
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
When Schuyler's Monster was published, I think the thing that surprised my friends the most, even more than my confessed infidelity (because let's face it, who was really surprised?), was the fact that I wrote so much about God. To be honest, I was a little surprised myself.

"For now, she largely remains an enigma, the most daunting one of my life. She is the source of my joy and my sorrow, and for all my resentment at him for giving her this burden, it is nevertheless when I am with Schuyler that I feel closest to God."

After the book came out, and especially after I began talking about faith issues on tour and in book clubs, and now on television, a lot of people have been writing to me about it. That's fair enough, and it's a dialogue I welcome. If I didn't, I wouldn't have written about it. But it's been hard to discuss because my own feelings are in flux. I think that's the way faith is for most people. Does anyone ever truly arrive at an endpoint in their philosophy? I'm not sure I trust anyone who is absolutely sure of very much in this world.

It didn't take me long as a child to decide that I wasn't a Christian and never would be. Sorry, Jesus. I'm just not that into you. But my feelings about God have been more complicated, even before Schuyler was born. It's probably no secret that my feelings have become much more convoluted since she was diagnosed. Well, of course they have.

But the thing is, I've never given up on the idea of God, not completely. My God might not be your God, not if you buy into the whole "angry invisible man in the sky" idea. I find the idea of moral judgment from on high to be so subjective as to be meaningless. When I refer to "this grand rough world" as I sometimes do (and no one has ever identified the source of that phrase), I mean a place that is wondrous and terrible, a universe of unspeakable beauty and unblinking cruelty. It can be difficult to place God in the context of such a place.

And yet, sometimes I try. Sometimes I want an answer from God, an answer to why he sometimes breaks children. It seems like a fair question to me, and yet the God that I seem to have constructed in my head (like I think we all do, which is why our God tends to hate all the same people that we do) doesn't have the answers. Perhaps my God is less of a Creator and more of a Manager. Maybe he built the store, but now he works behind the counter, and what his customers do is beyond his control and maybe even his understanding.

I find Manager God easier to accept than Control Freak God, because then we're back to the idea that he intentionally breaks little children, allows vile things to happen to them, makes a mockery of their innocence. And that's hard. I hear a lot of variations on "God works in mysterious ways", about how Schuyler and all the broken children in the world are here to teach us things, or how their brokenness has some greater meaning. And I just can't accept that, I can't make peace with the idea that they exist and suffer in order to illuminate the rest of us.

And yet.

There are things about myself that I accept as a sort of hardwired reality. I can resist them, and I do, but they are there and they are me. I'm always going to have a temper, and poor impulse control, and most of all issues with authority. I'm not actually sure I'd want to change all that. I'm never going to be the poster boy for monogamy and I doubt very seriously if I'll ever get a job as a responsible financial planner. I can always try to do better, but the thing is, it'll always be something that I must try to improve. I'm flawed, like the rest of you but probably more than most. Perhaps it is to my advantage that my worser nature is in a book now; people who can't deal with my flaws can't say they weren't warned.

And yet, Schuyler came to me. To me, and to Julie, who shares most of my flaws. And I'm going to flatter myself to think that we've done pretty well for her. We made lots of mistakes, and we continue to do so, and our flaws haven't magically disappeared. But we're managing to raise a pretty amazing little girl, one who is as broken as we are and yet perfect in her own way.

I don't know how God fits into that. I remember that very few of the people in the Bible or throughout history who were doing God's work were very strong believers. Blind faith and religious fealty don't necessarily seem to lead to great deeds. They doubted, and they sinned, and if a doubter and a sinner can labor for God while simultaneously calling him on his bullshit every so often, then perhaps I've still got some work to do. I can shake my fists at the sky and say "oh, that's fucked up!" when such a gesture is appropriate, and then get back to work.

God and I have some things to work out. But negotiations haven't broken down just yet.

29 comments:

DmL said...

You're on the right track.

Kelsey said...

Your idea of a Manager God runs very close to the higher power I'm close to and I have to say, your description made me tear up. I've struggled with the idea of God for a long time and I'm glad that there seems to be at least some common ground for those of us still questioning faith.

Anonymous said...

You are right. Everyone has questions - even the truest believers. I like to think God does not plan the sorrow in our lives. Instead the victims were picked; either by abusers, preditors, disease, or something like human error. My father used to say "things could be worse". Does that mean we are blessed for what we have? All parents are touched by their children. And I guarantee Schuyler is blessed to have a dad like you. Maybe God knew you would say "yes" when she asked for red hair..... Not many parents would. Our questions will always go unanswered, but I am glad you see hope. If we were "perfect", we would know the answers. The complexity of the battle will always remain.

Anonymous said...

This is why you're still one of my favorite online writers. In the face of all that you must wrestle with every single day, you still have the brain-power to address topics like this. Eloquently.
Thank you for shaking your fist at the sky, for saying that you do, and for unintentionally sending out a lifeline reminder that the rest of us fist-shakers aren't alone out here.

Anonymous said...

This post seems like you at your best. Erudite, sardonic, humble, expansive but hanging on at least to the option of judging others. Parenting any child is humbling. Parent members of the "broken kids" club are simply on our knees almost all of the time.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully, beautifully written and thought-provoking, as always.

(Given the context of the entry, I cop to having giggled afterward, when I saw the venue for your 5/31 signing.)

Courtney Kay said...

I think God works through brokenness...even "broken" children... they have taught me so much about what we mean to God... innocence and simplicity.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

Well said. Honestly, you probably have a better grasp on you're relationship (of sorts) with God than most so-called Christians do.

And if it makes you feel better, I'm a Christian and I take more of a Manager God relationship. He gave us free will, after all.

Linda Ball said...

I believe in chaos, entropy and the inevitability of death. (Which someone reminds me of a part of the Apostle's Creed in my church upbringing.) One thing? I'm rarely disappointed with life. With myself, sure. But not with what things befall me and my family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Color me baffled.

The longer I live, the wider variety of things I see, and the more parenting I do, the less I believe in any sort of god. As a Texan, I had the god assumption in me for the first part of my life, but every year of adulthood has called it further into question, and these days no amount of squinting will make it appear.

Because everyone's experience is subjective, I won't presume to poo-poo anyone else's spiritual feelings. When I spend time with my son, the presence I feel is of a budding intelligence, a mind that is taking in the world it has suddenly found itself in. Those around us in supermarkets or malls likely don't feel it, but it's very real to me.

Often it seeks sense where there is none, and in those moments, I see the holes in the vision of life that I and so many others have painted for ourselves. Human beings are really very silly creatures, propping ourselves up on social constructs that children whittle down with glee.

If one day my son tells me he feels the presence of some spiritual force, I can hardly tell him he doesn't. But for me, he is an overwhelming force of his very own, and I can't help but be drawn into the world as he sees it now. I don't really know where a god would be necessary in that feeling, but then, I don't know what the hell's going on half the time anyway.

tiff said...

Oh - most of those folks in the Bible were naughty sinner and broken difficult people, and yet God loved them enough to talk to them from time to time and help them out when need be. Heh - I would've hung out with King David...he seemed like a fun dude, fo sho.

This post comes as close to being the most apt description of faith that I've seen in a long time. Thanks for putting it all on the line, again.

Karen said...

I've always thought of God as a parent. And the more I parent, the more sense that makes to me. I love my kids, I want good things for them, but I aslo know that me fixing everything won't help. I would never take away their free will, even to keep them from hurting each other. And no matter what they did, I would love and forgive them.

But I also think that the Bible slanders God. I don't care how mad I got at my kids, I would not drown them in a flood. I would not demand that they worship me. I would not afflict them with illness or injuries.

So me and God have worked some stuff out. I will believe in him, try to help him out, talk to him, and try to be a good kid. But I won't worship him or anyone else because of fear or because they are so powerful and impressive. And if I'm wrong and I'm going to hell for that, then so be it, because I still won't worship someone, even God, just for being powerful. I will love a God who is good, but not one who is cruel.

Anonymous said...

I have a son who is very much like schuyler. He also cannot talk and will be getting his own "box of words" soon. I am also a follower of Christ. I believe He is a loving God, intimately involved with every detail of our lives. I don't believe He is cold or uncaring, or a control freak. Although, I can understand how people develop these misperceptions. I agree that there is nothing like the heartache of seeing our children suffer. I would give a body part to hear my child say "Mama" and he's four years old. I do believe that God has a unique plan and purpose for my son. I don't blame God yet I don't believe that my son's issues are outside His sovereign control either. Sounds to me like the God that I know and love is trying to speak to your heart. Just keep listening.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear if Rob. Finally.
(even if you don't put this comment out there, which you probably won't).

Alaska Kim

Robert Hudson said...

No offense, Kim, but my feelings about God haven't changed in a while, not one bit. (Remember that the book was written over a year ago, after all.) If you hadn't gotten so upset at my tone when you emailed me a while back, you might have recognized that an angry, disrespectful dialogue with God is still a dialogue with God.

There are going to be days when I am still not very cuddly towards God. I'm still uninterested in having Jesus as my imaginary friend, and am still not going to take my daughter to church. So I'm not sure what you're so happy about.

Also, has anyone noticed how many comments are posted here that say "I'm sure you won't post this comment"? Curious...

Anonymous said...

You and I have always locked horns on this subject. I was just simply happy to read the last sentence of your post.

AK Kim

Anonymous said...

Re: "This grand rough world". . .
possibly Benjamin Britten, speaking through Billy Budd??

Re: The God issue. . .I'm as confused as you are, Rob! I grew up in a "battle zone" between two parents who seemed bent on destroying each other, but equally determined that I be exposed to God and the established church(es). The irony did not escape me, even as a young child.

I finished reading my copy of your book last night - Bravo, very well written and I am donating two copies to my branch library!!

Robert Hudson said...

possibly Benjamin Britten, speaking through Billy Budd??

Sweet!

Anonymous said...

Just curious, what do you think?

Where do you go when you die?

A. No where
B. Reincarnated
C. Heaven or Hell
D. Become a ghost
E. A better place
F. Your own planet
G. None of the above


What gets you to the place you believe in?

A.Everyone goes there
B.Being a good or bad person
C.By faith in Christ through His grace
D.Believe in God
E.None of the above


What do you base your belief on?

A My Imagination
B.Bible as the complete truth
C.Bible - take what I like & make up the rest
D.What I grew up with
E.Just a feeling I have
F.None of the above

These are just the things that crossed my mind as I was reading everyones posts.

Esther

Unknown said...

In response to your rhetorical question- "Does anyone ever truly arrive at an endpoint in their philosophy?" Well, yes people do, but then they stop calling it philosophy and call it science. It has happened to things like physics and chemistry.

Galen said...

Throughout the years I've made my way through several denominations: Methodist, Unitarian, Quaker, Lutheran. But in recent years, my faith has stumbled on this issue of suffering. If God is loving and omnipotent, how could he sit back while my son was burned and battered? Oh, yeah, I know the stock answer is "free will." But I think you can't have it both ways. How can a believer let God off the hook when a helpless child is tortured, but if their child is healed, they praise him for answering their prayers? What do they say to the parents of the child who died or lives a life in the prison of multiple disabilties?

Monroegirl said...

Hi Robert! I am reading your book in stages, mainly because I'm savoring it, but also because I usually sob after each little section. I especially enjoyed this post, since I have had many issues with faith since Mason was born. As my husband likes to say, "I hope there is a God...I have some questions for him." I think people with kiddos like ours tend to see the whole God thing in a much different light; a light that most people cannot even begin to see. Thanks for being so honest! Laurie Georgeson; Mason's Mom

Anonymous said...

Esther, my answers:

Question 1 -
H. Worm food

Question 2 -
F. Cessation of brain and pulse activity

Question 3 -
G. Empirically provable evidence

galen,

These concepts are reconciled through convoluted sophistry, and it's the basis for most religion.

Sorry, Rob, I see a hornet's nest and I poke it...

:(

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking here for a few months and just wanted to say that I **loved** the book. I see so many dads who either deny there is something wrong with their child or simply let the mom do all the work - that is just one of the reasons I appreciated hearing your story as much as I did. Thank you for sharing openly about the aspects of your life that many of us struggle with.

Lyric's Mommy said...

I have a 10 month old baby boy and for the first 4 months of his life, I feared that he would die from SIDS as all the literature had warned me he might.

When that fear finally abated, I began to wonder if he has any hidden health problems of any kind. I am a high school English teacher who loves to research so I went on a hunt for any information I could find. Autism was something that obsessed me for a while. Still does, to be honest.

What you say here about God and about your faith is so very true to me and I want to thank you for being so eloquent and so honest. I no longer believe in God as a single entity and really find Buddhism has been the closest to my own beliefs for many years. But when I read your words, and I'm not sure how to say this any better, they just seemed true. Pure and simple.

So, thank you for this gift.

(Please forgive the scattered nature of this post; it's almost 3pm on a Thursday and the end of a double block day of grade 9 English.)

Karen said...

I don't know if you really wanted answers, Esther, but here they are anyway.

Since matthew used H, I'll use
I-- It is irrelevant. I don't base my behavior on a fear of punishment or a promise of reward. I try to be a good person because it's the right thing to do.

Again matthew used F, so I'll use G-- My choices, my effort, how willing or unwilling I am to sacrifice for others, how repentant I am when I hurt people.

Matthew used G, so I'll say H-- On what God shows me and tells me every day. I would rather get my info straight from the source (God) than from a translation of collection of words attributed to him. So I pray, and I listen for the answers.

And also like Matthew, I'd like to answer Galen. Galen, I believe he is powerful and loving. But the only way I can reconcile the cruelty of birth defects and natural disasters is to realize that he can be either omnipotent or loving, not both. My experience tells me he loves us. So that would mean his is powerful, but not all-powerful, not omnipotent. I can live with a God who needs my help to make the world what it should be.

Maybe just saying that is a help to someone.

Thanks Rob, for endulging me.

Anonymous said...

I've started to comment 4 times and stopped because I have too much to say. This topic is fascinating. Thanks for this post, Rob. I find it very interesting to read (through blogs and some of those Caringbridge or Carepages sites) about how differently parents react when their children are affected by something devastating -- either the unknown or the known. And then, when a child dies, perspectives may change. Some parents ask themselves if the angels the child saw in the room were really there and why were they so sure they were and they were protecting the child. Some never question their faith. I don't know - it just makes me more confused. I hope the children are in heaven -- whole, pain-free and playing like they couldn't when they were on earth. I hope, but I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Well put- your words amaze me and give me great comfort- my husband and I are raising three children and one of them doesn't have a specific diagnosis but he has a lot of tendancies of ADD, autism, OCD, etc. and he is very implusive. The last 15 years have been a big challenge to raise him. I took him to church and Sunday school when he was little but we stopped going (for my own personal reasons) when he was around 11. He never has and does not believe in Jesus and I have struggled with this admission of his. He questions and questions and has some very solid reasons as to why he doesn't believe. We live in a very small town where 99.9% of the population is Christian. So this is hard to accept and understand and I remind him that if he says these things to his friends, he is opening himself up to some harsh criticism. Your words give me comfort and help me with my own questioning as well as with my son's.