March 16, 2008

A Thousand Miles in a Ford Focus

I got back from the book tour a few days ago, and I've been getting caught up on work stuff, and Life stuff, for a few days. (The one thing I haven't gotten caught up on is email, so if you wrote to me within the past three weeks or so and are now thinking "Wow, what a dick!", I am going to answer your mail. I just don't want to respond with some pat little "Hey, thanks for writing, buddy. Buy my book!" Because then you'd be completely justified in thinking, "Wow, what a dick!" I don't mind you thinking that, I'd just like to earn it like in the old days.)

The book tour was a great experience in a lot of ways. There were a few with a big turnout and also a few with maybe a dozen or so people by the end, but I never had an event where the dreaded "what if you had a book signing and no one showed up?" occurred. I got to see writers I dig, like Gwen and Ariel, and a lot of old friends, and I got to meet people who touched me profoundly.

I've read a lot of critiques of the book tour as a marketing tool, and strictly speaking, I agree with much of what I've read. When you factor in travel expenses and hotels and all that, the sales you make on tour aren't going to even cover the cost of the tour itself. Perhaps the real value is in generating buzz and word of mouth, but still.

However, I wouldn't trade the experience of the book tour for anything. It's one thing to write about Schuyler's experiences and my own, and even to receive emails from the people who have been moved by those stories. It's quite another thing to meet people, however. I heard stories from parents who are in the place that we were with Schuyler a few years ago, a place with more questions than answers, and I cried with moms who were just happy to tell their story to someone. Never mind the fact that I was an author in my fancy pants. They were telling their story to someone who'd been there before them, and that was enough. What they didn't realize, perhaps, was how much I got from the experience.

So now it's over, and after driving over a thousand miles around Texas and feeling both very fancy and authorial one minute and then not one bit famous and fabulous at all the next, I'm home. Back to work, and back to play with Schuyler.

Yesterday I took Schuyler to see Horton Hears a Who, and when we got home, she took out her Big Box of Words. Together, we very carefully found all the words she needed (and spelled out a few not on the device), so that when Julie got home from work, Schuyler could tell her something very important she'd learned.

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Today, Schuyler begins playing soccer, at a local program for special needs children. I took her to a sports supply place the other day and got her outfitted. We're taking Schuyler to play soccer today, and if you're a parent and that sounds like the most boring, every day, every kid sort of thing to write about, I agree.

It sure took a lot of work on Schuyler's part to get there, though.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be interesting to see how Schuyler gets around the need to communicate verbally with other soccer players, not that she won't.

After finishing your book over the weekend I have come to realize just how special you and Schuyler are. I still hope that any parents with children are as good a parent as you are, because many are not. Don't ever sell yourself otherwise.

kris said...

Keep us posted on the soccer practice--I'm so curious! I used to be a "buddy" in a baseball league with special needs kid from the time I was 9 until I was about 14--tons of fun.

Bernard said...

I hope Schuyler has a great first time at soccer. Our middle girl started it several years ago and now we're hopelessly hooked. I'm still amazed at how physical a game it is, especially in the older leagues.

Despite the potential to be boring, do let us know when she scores her first goal.

Go Schuyler!

Anonymous said...

"It would be interesting to see how Schuyler gets around the need to communicate verbally with other soccer players, not that she won't."

Eh. I had an 8-year-old soccer player in a North Dallas kids league, and it's more funtime than serious Pele-training; I never once saw the girls need to call instructions or anything to each other on the field. And Schuyler can handle the team celebration/commiseration parts just fine all on her own. Nothing to "get around," I suspect.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so happy for her! My kids were never interested in soccer, but they are on the swim team, which is a fabulous sport for kids who have health issues. Not only is it a great workout, communication problems are almost non-existant. My son (with perfect hearing) reports that all he can hear during a race is "a sort of a wimble-womble, wimble-womble sound." So much for all the coaches shouting from the deck!

Jenn said...

I'm new to the your blog. I found out about you and your amazing family in a magazine at the dentist's office. I was so touched by the piece, that I wanted to check out your blog. The book looks fascinating and I can't wait to pick it up.

Courtney Kay said...

Everyday kid things, that is what is important... I am a college student working on a degree in Special education LD/EI to make a difference to show the world the amazingness of children who don't fit the puzzle quite right, for they are the peacemakers and educators of the soul.thanks for sharing. i can't wait to get my hands on the book!

Niksmom said...

Ah, that fourth graf got me teary...I would be one of those moms if you came to Delaware! I'm currently reading the book a SECOND time.

Can't wait to see video of Schuyler ont he soccer field!

Curlytop said...

That is one awezome little lady! I love her spunk!

She took to the soccer and playing baseball right away and I am very excited to see her learn more skills!

It was great to finally meet this amazing little girl! oh yeah to meet you two also. ;~) see you in 2 wks ... 1,2,3 Goooo Angels!

Jim Howard said...

Pictures from your Austin appearance here:

http://flickr.com/photos/jimntexas/sets/72157603959172937/

And what's this 'Ford Focus' of which you speak?

What happened to Bealzabug?

Robert Hudson said...

The Bug has about 120,000 miles on it, and Julie's Focus is brand new. We're trying to keep the Bug running until my fabulous book millions roll in and I can afford to replace it.

Anonymous said...

I know I am going to sound like the dumbest, most insensitive person in the whole entire world, because I am so in awe of your daughter and what she's come through, and I have this cheesy, stupid question to ask: holy cow, is that her natural hair color?? What a beauty she is! I hope you're practicing your kung-fu for that day in the not-so-distant future when the boys start knocking on your door! Congrats on the book. But mostly, congrats for the way you are raising your daughter. I can't decide who is my hero--you or her.

Sustenance Scout said...

So much good news! What goes around truly comes around, doesn't it? I'm headed to the Tattered Cover Book Store here in Denver to buy your book today. So glad I discovered your blog; you (and your blog, your book, your daughter, etc!) are featured on my my blog this week. I agree your parenting style--and your unique relationship with your daughter--deserve to be celebrated! K.

Unknown said...

Hey Rob, thanks for emailing me back. I figured you were touring like a rock star and you would email back eventually.

That is funny about soccer. I was going to ask you if you thought Schuyler would want to kick the ball around some time with Lauren. (For you regular blogger's Lauren is in the same class as Schuyler).

Lauren has been playing soccer since kindergarten and now plays for the FC Dallas Academy. As someone said before the girls don't talk to each other on the field, even though the coaches wish they would. That won't happen until they are much older.

I'd be happy to work with Schuyler on some one on one lessons to get her up to speed sometime. I've learned a lot of great drills that are really fun for beginners.

Anonymous said...

Although you occasionally mention Schuyler's problems with fine motor control, this gets less airtime than her speech problems. But it looks like she has a pretty good grip on that bat! How does she do with running and kicking?

Aja B said...

Wow, this is so awesome to see! I was one of the animators who worked on Horton Hears a Who, and it's really amazing to see this thing that I slaved over for endless months actually out there and making kids laugh and quote it and stuff. :D

It was great getting to actually meet you, Schuyler, and Julie at the first book signing in Plano (we were the dorky couple that had just moved down from NY), though I am a little jealous of the people who went to the signing the next day and got an autograph from Miss Schuyler herself! :D

Glad you guys liked the movie, and thanks again for writing such an excellent, inspiring book! :)

Aja B.

Shannon said...

Which reminds me.................I need to pick up my signed copy! :)
SCHHHHHHHHHHH-WWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! Some breezy night reading!
Glad you made it home safe.
-Shannon in Austin

Anonymous said...

I cracked up with (another) anonomys' comment. Don't think he/she is the parent of a kid playing on any typical soccer team.

Never saw kids this age even TRY to communicate with the other players. 99 percent are off in their own world and playing at this age.

It's non-verbal communication for all the kids Anon 1. Nothing more.

Unknown said...

My son Ricky (with CF/bipolar/other stuff) is in the local AYSO VIP soccer league (for special needs kids). We only do the fall season. He loves it! And it is so great for him! It's a great program.

That much driving in a Focus -- you are a brave man!