March 1, 2008

"Don't believe you're all alone."


Us
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
I've mentioned it before, but there's a line that I love from a song sung by my favorite musician, Andrew Bird, in a cover of a song by The Handsome Family. The song is called Don't Be Scared, and seems to be (at least to my ears) about a child who lives mostly in an internal world and who perceives our world differently. The line that always reminds me of Schuyler is this one:

"Don't be scared. Don't believe you're all alone."

I frequently think about Schuyler being alone, which is interesting only in that practically speaking, she is almost never actually alone in an immediate sense, aside from when she plays in her room by herself. Even then, I get a little nervous, because one of my greatest fears is that the seizures that she is statistically likely to develop could land on her while she's by herself, and the thought of her going through that for the first time without someone there with her makes me want to go roust her out of her bed this very moment and keep her by my side until I grow old and die, and not let her go one second before.

In a larger sense, I worry about what will happen to Schuyler after we're gone. I think about her having to make her way in this mean fucking world, and I almost can't stand it. It's funny how fear and love go hand in hand so often in our lives. The very act of opening up your heart to another human being can also reveal such vulnerability and rawness that to contemplate abusing it feels like imagining a murder. Or a suicide.

Yesterday I watched Schuyler charge through her little world as a reporter, a photographer and a videographer from the Dallas Morning News followed her around at school. I was once again reminded how easily she adapts to change, how in fact she thrives on it. Schuyler only seems to stumble when things become too routine; her world thrills her when it throws her curve balls.

I envy that about her. Last night, I attended a local music showcase and got to hang out with a newish friend whose media work I've always admired, and I had a great time being me for a change, not The Author or The Father or anything else. And yet, I was still aware the whole time of how shy and unwieldy I can feel in unfamiliar social situations. Sometimes I feel like Bigfoot, dressed up like a normal person and trying to fit in despite being, well, a big clumsy monster. It is in those moments that I appreciate Schuyler's breezy ability to embrace the world on her own terms.

In my dreams, Schuyler talks to me, telling me that things are going to be okay. I think she means more than just her own monster battle.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

You and your wife will equip her with the amazing ability to be self sufficient. She'll be OK.

On a side note: I was sitting at my hairdresser's last night reading 'People' magazine while waiting for color to set on my hair when I happened to flip the page and I saw you and your cute daughter on the page for a book review!! It's in the March 3, 2008 issue. You received 3.5 stars!!

I thought it was pretty damned cool seeing someone I know...but really don't know I had to remind myself, LOL.

Linda Ball said...

I get that feeling in the world, too. Like I'm an impostor and that if I'm accepted in polite society it is only because people are being kind. In spite of that, I can only go so far to fit in.

Anonymous said...

i was reading people today and guess what i saw?

yep, you and your book.

britmummybites said...

Sometime this planet can be over whelmingly large and that you can't help to think that your the only person going through or experience what ever it is.
And it can be rather frightening, scarey and overwhelming.

But then you meet someone or hear of someone that is in the same boat as you or have experienced the same thing. Or you meet someone your not expecting to see.

Kathy of the HavinsNest said...

She's never going to be alone and y'all are teaching her how to handle herself so well already that she'll be an awesome adult.

The one question I wanted to ask at the book signing but couldn't bring myself to ask...

Have you sent a case of the books to her former teachers and school district?

I'll be happy to deliver them for you...

Unknown said...

I think more people feel like this than let on, and I think being a loving parent makes it hard to avoid fear for our little ones.

I thank you for voicing such things, as it makes ME feel less alone, and like I'm not the only one who feels the way you describe.

PeanutandSweetPea said...

Here is a song that makes me think of my little dude. It is from the Signing Time video series, now a PBS program that teaches children and adults to communicate through ASL. I think it describes Schuyler well too. And maybe even her dad.

SHINE

Sometimes I see you stuck
For such a long time
A daily nothing new
Pretend I don’t mind
With lists of things you’ll never do
Until somehow you do
And you do — you do — you shine
The days and months and years,
they run together
Is it just one day? Or is this forever?
You’ve taught me in your lifetime
More than I’d learned in mine
And you do, you do, you shine
Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine
Shine your light on me
Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine
everyone will see
Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine
I’m so glad you are mine
And you’ll shine in your own time
Well, maybe I’m too close to see you clearly
Or is it now my role to simply believe?
You’re just one of those mysteries
That may never be solved in time
But you do — you do — you shine
And Sammy will do what Sammy will do when Sammy is ready to do it
And Trevor will do what Trevor will do when Trevor is ready to do it
And Lucy will do what Lucy will do when Lucy is ready to do it
And they’ll do it in their own time
Yeah, they’ll Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine
Shine your light on me
Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine
And everyone will see
Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine
I’m so glad you are mine
And you’ll shine, and you shine

PeanutandSweetPea said...

I am sending you an email at your email address. Would really appreciate a response. I know you have much going on, but it would be so helpful to me.

Thanks in advance,
Earline, mom of Andrew
sjelcox@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Ok, nagging again. Time to set up the trust, or something similar.

Shannon said...

Schuyler is so pretty in this pic. Just beautiful.
-Shannon :)