May 11, 2006

I want a new drug.


Pharm-Life, by Luke Chueh
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
After three month of trying to control my blood sugar and weight with diet and exercise, I had my follow-up appointment with Dr. Hottie.

"So, how are you doing?" she asked.

"Well, I'm fat and my blood sugar's too high," I said. "Other than that, I'm swell."

It was true. My blood sugar is down, but not enough, and I actually gained a little weight, which she said was normal. So we moved on to the next step, and that next step is a drug called Glucophage.

It's not a bad one. I don't have to inject anything into my stomach or get bitten by a Gila Monster, for example. It's just a big pill that I take once a day. Glucophage works in three ways. It reduces the amount of glucose produced by the liver, it reduces the amount of glucose absorbed from food through the stomach, and it improves the processing of the body’s naturally produced insulin to reduce the amount of glucose in the blood stream.

It doesn't seem to have many side effects, apart from fucking with my digestive system a little bit. A small number of people can react to it by developing a condition called lactic acidosis, and that can be fatal in about half the people who get it, usually patients with kidney or liver problems. So that's no fun. But so far, I live and breathe.

My eyes are fine, too. You know, aside from their usual state of nearsightedness.

The other thing that Dr. Hottie did was put me on something called the Zone diet. Okay, I admit, that was the day before yesterday, and all I've done so far is buy some of these Zone Perfect bars for my desk drawer at work. Baby steps, you know.

I don't have much else to report, actually. The person who was bitching in my comments about the quality of my writing since I took on my diabetes blog will no doubt be even less thrilled that I am also now writing for a literary blog with my friend Rhys. Yeah, I know. Guess I'll have to start reading now.

This entry might actually be slightly lamer than most, but honestly, I don't have a lot to say today. I'll tell you what. You ask me whatever you want, and perhaps I'll answer your questions in future entries. I promise not to lie unless my true answers are too boring. So get ready to be bullshat.

9 comments:

laura capello said...

One that does what it should? One that don't make you feel too bad, one that don't make you feel too good?

Anyway, you're blood sugar must not be all that bad if you're taking ONE glucophage a day. I have PCOS and take three day -- and my blood sugar was never really highly out of whack.

And the Zone diet is awesome once you get use to it (I've done it before with amazing results, but since I've found out I have a wheat allergy and am on a gluten-free diet that's worked even bigger wonders).

Oh, and never bullshit a bullshitter.

Robert Hudson said...

I'm confused. When did I ever say that she's not usingher device?

Lys said...

Truthfully, this is your blog, and I am fine with whatever you write. You can write about your goopy toe and hamsters all you want. I particularly am partial to Schuyler stories, but that is also because she is adorable and I am rooting for her! And I was reading when she was born! Yay! I can't wait for the day when she is old enough and reads through your archives and sees all the wonderful things you have written... She will feel loved and proud of her dad! :)

Nightfall said...

I respectfully request more Schuyler stories, please. ;-) And videos.

grandefille said...

Second the request for more info on Luke Chueh work. It always makes me cry.

But that's a good thing, sometimes.

Don't worry about those naysayers with the "you're no fun anymore, Rob" comments. You're always fun. It's your blog, it's your life. We're just glad you let us share a tiny piece of it every once in a while.

Glucophage is a good thing, especially since its generic, metformin, is CHEEEEAP. Woot! If Hottie Doc puts you on the single-dose Glucophage XL, though, it's usually still on the formulary. It didn't work for me, so I remain on the twice-a-day horse pills.

Sugar-free kisses from Tennessee to you and the fambly.

tiff said...

I would like to know if you're ever going to get a tuba. Also I would like to know what your favorite color is, if you have an accent, why the sky is blue, who makes you laugh, and is it faster to get the New York than by car.

You pick.

CameraDawktor said...

You don't look fat.

You don't look like you need to lose weight, unless it will help with the diabetes which sounds like it will.

Good luck with the diet.

My question (until I think of better ones)

Are you and Julie going to have more babies cause the one you have now is pretty stinkin' awesome and cute???? We need more cool people in the world!

How do you know I'm not Liddy Wales? said...

It's so nice to see bloggers parlaying their hobby into something akin to a legitimate job!

The Zone ain't so bad. I like starchy things too much to stay on it very long, but as crazy diets go, this is one of the least crazy, and you're allowed to have things like hamburgers (no fries) and peanut butter and banana sandwiches (not fried) and such. I reccomend tuna- screw the mercury thing- it's perfect for this sort of diet.

And while we're screwing mercury, screw everyone who tells you what to write. The glory of the blog is that you don't have to bow to an editor.

Anonymous said...

A family friend, who used to weigh 320 lbs, was diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes. She went on the Zone diet, too, and within 1.5 years she was down to 150 lbs (people thought she was dying) and her blood sugar was totally controlled. She actually has been deemed "cured" and only checks her blood sugar a few times a week. It's a pretty great diet. I've used it to lose weight, too. There is a lot of math at first, but you eventually learn that if you eat a palm-sized piece of protein with lots of veggies and don't eat crap food, you're basically doing The Zone.