February 10, 2014

Monsters Who Smile

I'm sorry if you're getting tired of this story. I actually wrote this last week. One of the pitfalls of a weekly column, I guess. Anyway, today at Support for Special Needs:
But being Schuyler’s father has also shown me, again and again with stark clarity, that there really are monsters in this world, and some of them smile pretty smiles and take your daughter by the hand if you let them, and God, do I hope I’m alert enough to know those monsters when I see them.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Excellent and very sobering article. I read and followed Single Dad's story of the horrifying assault on his young adult daughter who is severely disabled. It's not unimaginable for many of us to contemplate, and that's what people don't understand, I think -- like wondering whether your child will die before or after you (and which is better), wondering whether and how you can protect them in all their vulnerability is part and parcel of the whole insane operation.

tiffany ard said...

Have you seen this yet?

http://www.ted.com/talks/rupal_patel_synthetic_voices_as_unique_as_fingerprints.html