May 13, 2013

One Small Light

Today at Support for Special Needs:
If you're here, you get it. You're almost certainly part of the club. You have a disability, or your kid has one, or someone you love or work with. We may not have anything else in common, but the thing that we do share isn't small. When I come here and I write about Schuyler or my own fears and triumphs as a parent, you might say that I'm right, that sounds exactly familiar. Or you might say I'm full of crap. But you're probably never going to say "Oh, that never occurred to me." Because if you're in the club, there's very little that hasn't occurred to you, often in the middle of the night when the shadows are long on the ceiling and the future grumbles softly under the bed.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Are you familiar with the story of Jay Turnball and his parents and the Beach Center at University of Kansas?

The thing that strikes me about his story is that yes he did have paid assistance because he required that for living independent of his parents but he also had true friendships. In his adult life he was an employee of KU and member of SAE fraternity and a loved member of the community.

I don't know how anyone can read the posted 3 eulogies of JT on the Beach Center website and not sob. Anything is possible.

picturingtheordinary said...

Well said.