April 22, 2013

The Negotiating Season

Today at the 504:
Parents need to understand that their intimate relationship with their kid empowers them with a level of investment that can't be ignored and shouldn't be minimized. It's imperative that parents go in knowing what they need to know, and with a clear and sober understanding of their child's disability and what that might mean realistically. But in my opinion, parents also need to temper that with a philosophical open door. They need to overbelieve. They need to hold onto possibilities, because those possibilities have a funny way of turning into realities.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like this reminder. Too often I am focused on the "what is" reality only to be totally surprised when my kid shoots right past that. Always teaching me something new, thank goodness.