March 4, 2013

Traveling Companion

Today, at Support for Special Needs:
I see how Schuyler is at these conferences, and I get a glimpse of what her life might be like one day. I see in Schuyler a natural advocate, and one possible face of disability for the world. I know it’s frowned upon by many to use the word “inspiration” when it comes to those with disabilities, but that’s just what Schuyler can be. It’s not so much in a “gosh, what a plucky little trouper” kind of way so much as “all of this just might have a happy ending one day”. Parents of kids like Schuyler see a possible outcome, and maybe they’re not quite so afraid.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I personally don't see why it's frowned upon to use the word "inspiration" in the world of disabilities. I think that children & adults with disabilities do a lot to inspire us to be better people. I think they are inspirational everyday that they wake up and only see sunshine & roses, they see the things we don't take the time to notice. There innocence is inspirational, as we look at the world all jilted. I have seen the pictures that you have posted on facebook. She appears like a natural! She seems like she has found her element, the place she fits in, the place where the people around her accept her. Isn't that we long for our kids to be accepted? So when the other school kids are just nasty toward our kids we all have to hold out hope that our kids will be find their place where they fit into where ever that maybe.

Jim Howard said...

Rob, as you know I've been a fan for many years.

Now it looks like my family is joining the monster fighting club.

I have a grandson who is 2 1/2 and is a 'slow speaker'. He's at least a year behind his peers in his speech development.

So these days your writing and advocacy are more important to us than ever.

If he continues to have speech issues growing up I'm sure we'll tell him Schuyler's story.