January 24, 2013

Two things. Three, if you count the chinchilla.

Two quick orders of business today.

First of all, I want to very publicly thank Dr. Janice Light from Penn State's Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. I had the opportunity to speak to her class this morning about Schuyler and AAC and the experience of being a parent wielding a rubber sword. One of the very best things to come out of writing my book has been the opportunity to meet and speak with the young people who are heading out into the world to make a difference, to make THE difference, in the lives of people like Schuyler. They are my heroes, and it really is an honor and a privilege to share my own small insights with them.

Secondly, I'm happy to announce that I will be contributing to the new special needs blog, The 504, over at Parenting.com. You can read my introductory post, Meet Schuyler, Monster-Slayer. (It's sort of a "Hi, this is what I'm all about" post, so it's not exactly going to be new stuff for regular readers.) I'm happy that they've started this new project, and even happier that they've invited me to be a part of it.

Okay, that's it. Oh, and here's our new chinchilla, because as you may or may not know, chinchillas are exceptionally cool. (My Instagram and Facebook feeds are mostly about chinchillas these days, in no small part because it makes me happy, imagining everyone saying "What's with all the goddamn chinchilla stuff?" I gotta be me.)

Hello, Frida.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

As one of the Penn State students attending, I want to thank YOU for being a part of the discussion! My only complaint is that time moved too fast.

Elizabeth said...

The new site looks cool, and I'm sure they're fortunate to have you as a contributor!

Natalia said...

Frida is cute :)

Sabrina Steyling said...

Congrats on your new project! They've made a great choice bringing you on as a contributor, no doubt.

On the topic of Frida, I had several hamsters throughout my lifetime, so your adorable chinchilla has won my heart - in fact, she's even cuter than any of my pet hamsters ever were! I definitely think it's the ears...

Anonymous said...

Your insight, inspiration and simple way with words will now reach even more people-congrats!