August 7, 2010

Seven years


Pondering monsters
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
Last weekend marked a strange anniversary. Some years I remember it, and some go by unnoticed. Perhaps because the past week has been sort of awful and reflective on a bunch of different levels, this year I've been thinking about it a great deal.

It has been seven years since Schuyler was diagnosed with bilateral perisylvian polymicrogyria.

I think I can safely say that I've never experienced as much change, as much growth and heartbreak and joy and failure and LIFE as I have in these past seven years. In a very real sense, I feel like a different person than I was that beautiful summer day in Connecticut when our world came crashing down around us, albeit soundlessly and invisibly to the rest of the world and particularly to Schuyler. I remember how on that sunny afternoon, she kept spinning in her little private, wordless world, the one she still visits from time to time but no longer seems to live in.

Our world fell apart, but it came back together again, completely different and not pretty, but somehow stronger. The worst case scenarios we were given were mostly not to be. Schuyler has a few things she can't eat and a few tasks she finds difficult to accomplish with her clumsy hands, but she's otherwise completely ambulatory and mostly unmarked by her disability. She sometimes experiences a strange anomalous electrical storm on the left side of her brain when she sleeps, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything other than just happening. Schuyler's not having the seizures that we were told were probably inevitable, and I am beginning to feel ever so slightly comfortable with imagining a future without them ever arriving. School is hard for her, and I am no longer confident that her team really understands her or what she's capable of. But she's also in a good program where even when they get it wrong with her, they are getting it more right than most schools ever would. She's delayed and unable to speak, and she might always be, but she's not trapped in her secret world anymore. She's trying with all her heart to be a part of this one, this beautiful, hateful, hard grand world that has never understood her but which has mostly welcomed her just the same.

As for me, I've come to see my weaknesses, as a husband and as a provider, and as a father. As aware as you may believe you are of the things at which I have failed, I hope you'll understand that I am even more acutely aware of them. But at the same time, I've grown as a person. I've become a better father, and I've learned to trust my instincts with Schuyler, because even when I'm wrong about what she can do, I like to believe that I mostly err on the side of overbelieving in her. I've learned that everyone needs people who love them enough to overbelieve in them. In Schuyler's case, she has a funny way of ultimately meeting those expectations, albeit in her own time and in her own way.

I've learned over the past seven years that when Schuyler stumbles, when she doesn't meet academic expectations or fails to communicate the things that are happening inside her broken but beautiful brain, she usually does so because someone out here in this world has failed her. Her teachers haven't found the tools to teach her or the methodology to reach her. Or her parents have dropped the ball in some way or another, or the technology that is supposed to help her is inadequate to the task.

Perhaps that overbelieving is informing my perspective, but I believe that most of Schuyler's failures are ours more than hers. And in seven years, I've learned to embrace the ancient wisdom of the Chumbawamba. We get knocked down, and we get up again. Oh yes.

Schuyler's diagnosis didn't change who she was. She's had her monster since before she was born, since before she even looked like a tiny little human fetus. She had her monster when she was a guppy, and probably before we even knew she was coming.

No, her diagnosis changed who we were, and who we are today. And if it wounded us, it made us stronger, too. Not like an athlete whose body becomes beautiful and efficient through training and exertion, but like some old scarred animal who has been bitten and scratched and chewed up, but who always comes back for more, desperate to protect its young from the biting monsters and an unforgiving world.

So there it is. Seven years.

Happy anniversary to Schuyler's monster, you motherfucker.

16 comments:

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

I feel like that song all the time. We get knocked down, but we get up again. Honestly, what choice do we have? The monsters aren't going to go away on their own, we will always be chasing them.

I'm glad that Schuyler is doing more after 7 years than they said she ever would. She's awesome. :)

Penny said...

Thank you for this post Rob. And congratulations (?) on 7 years of change and growing and knowing all that you know about Schuyler.
12 years for me, overbelieving.

shewill said...

This is a fine essay Rob. Print it and put it aside for Schuyler. One day she will want to read this one.
Have Schuyler's teachers tried Wilson or Orton- Gillingham method of reading instruction? The one student I had with similar monster to Schuyler responded very well to it. Teacher Sherry

Ceedy said...

Thank you Rob, for sharing your collective journey with the rest of us out in the ether. I think you've made us all a little stronger by doing so.

Pia said...

"No, her diagnosis changed who we were, and who we are today. And if it wounded us, it made us stronger, too."...

Wow, this resonates with me so much today. I am thankful that you share your story (warts and all)... it makes our story a little more normal and "ok". If that makes any sense whatsoever...

Rich said...

With most kids I deal with, I generally (and perhaps immodestly or incorrectly) think that I have more influence over them than they have over me. I can't say the same about Schuyler. I don't think her life would be any different if she hadn't met me, but I can say that my life is different and better because I know her.

Elizabeth said...

Those last two paragraphs are amazing (the long ones -) -- uniquely and beautifully expressed. Thank you.

farmwifetwo said...

We're at a little over 8yrs, and a little under 6yrs.

Time does truly "fly" doesn't it?? When we started with a tutor (retired school teacher) in Gr 1, I worried my eldest would never catch up.... She looked at me and said "they all grow up, they all learn, they all change, who knows what tomorrow will bring". Going into Gr 6, caught up except for English class - short term memory issues, and then barely delayed - I have learned, anything is possible.

NOW, saying that my younger son's delays are closer to your daughter's... but... on the worst days I remember what she said... And you know... She's right.

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a beautiful tribute. It brought tears to my eyes. I love a son with a language disorder (MERLD) and the last line made me smile -- I hear ya.

Nicole P said...

You know I love any post that ends in the words "mother fucker." Just sayin'.

I admire you and Julie very, very much. You're doing a remarkable job with Schuyler.

R.M. said...

Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I'm actually from Plano, but live in california now. My infant child has been diagnosed with polymicrogyria (Perisylvian distribution) also, so my husband and I are terrified. All we really hope for is that our little boy is happy. Reading your blog, it's clear that Schuyler is a happy, amazing little girl. I hope that in seven years, we can say the same. I would love to talk via email or on the phone about your journey, given that we are just starting ours.

Thank you for opening yourself up to share this story with us. I can tell you that all I want to do is lock myself away sometimes, but when I see my little guy smile, I know that I have to pick up and move on.

Rena said...

Look out monster, this dad can do a lot of damage with a plastic sword.

Beth said...

God, are you a beautiful writer. In this entry, you manage to capture why and how we all hope to love our kids, how we and they are all broken and beautiful. Thank you.

Kathy W. said...

It's the job of (good) parents to overbelieve. That's what love is all about. And it shows on Schuyler's face; when she smiles, the happiness shines through her eyes. She is growing up KNOWING she is loved.

Anonymous said...

Hi
We met you at the PMG, Microcephaly conference last year in california. I am Jenny Carpenter. Caleb and DJs mom. I will never your affectionate and loving little girl. She didnt even know me and yet she hugged me like she had known me forever the first time she met me. DJ my oldest son and Schuyler played together quite a bit. He was a bit star struck with her since a book was written about her. I was reading your blog tonite and realized again that your timeline is the same as ours. Schuyler was diagnosed with PMG just a few months before Caleb was. I thought of this too when I was reading your book. It will be 7 years since diagnosis for us in november. Caleb is younger than she is he is only 7 now. He wasnt even a year when he was diagnosed. In this world that sometimes feels very lonely especially because PMG is so rare and until last year we had never met anyone else in person, on the yahoo group yes which is a wonderful support group but not the same as in person, it is strange to think that someone else was going through the same thing around the same time. I am sorry you had to go through it too. I know for me words can not even describe my feelings especially of lonliness then.
thank you for all you have done for awareness for PMG hopefully other parents wont have to feel so lonely now. Give Schuyler a hug for me and hi from DJ and Caleb
Jenny Carpenter

mamamo said...

This is the first time I have been on your site and I will definately be reading more. My son was diagnosed with PMG just a month ago. He is now 10 months old and I have him started on OT and we are looking into PT as well because he does not use the left side of his body for normal things like feeding himself or playing. Even crawling (army/commando) his left side is used more as a kick stand. I asked the therapists and the neurologist what I was going to be looking at in the future and things to watch for so that I can "nip it in the bud" but she said that looking at his MRI and seeing that it covers the entire right side of his brain (not sure about technical terms yet)she thought he would be worse off than he was and that she had no clue what to tell me for his future besides to watch for seizures. Which he never sits still so I don't even know if I would notice them. Anyways, long story short if anyone can share any stories with me of experiences that will help me in the long run I would greatly appreciate it. Don't exactly have the biggest support group as I haven't even told my parents because I am worried he will be labeled and judged for what he has and not who he is. Sadly, keeping it from judgemental people, means keeping it from my family. Your story inspires me. I have taken everything I have been told so far (thought of stroke, MRI, Therapy, jumping through hoops to get help) head on. I am just really scared at what the future has in store for my sweet little boy.