September 3, 2009

Insult + Injury

So I've been having a pretty sorry run of luck in recent years where television is concerned.

This past year or so has been particularly bad, with the (planned) ending of my favorite show, Battlestar Galactica. (The new, bleak, 9/11-metaphor version, obviously, not the goofy Tribute to Feathered Hair from 1979.) I didn't like having to deal with BSG going away, not at all. But almost as bad was the cloud of doom that seemed to be hanging over my other favorite show, a phenomenally well-written and well-acted cop drama on NBC called Life.

My worst fears were realized when NBC decided to give Jay Leno his own show five days a week during prime time. Not being very industry savvy, apparently, I was confused. Doesn't Leno already have a show five nights a week, conveniently programmed at a time when I can easy avoid it? Ah, yes, but this new show will air at 9pm Central, during the time that was usually reserved for dramas. Sure enough, NBC cancelled Life after only two seasons.

It occurs to me that NBC and high-quality L.A. cop dramas are not a match made in heaven. (Look out, Southland, which is a great show but one that I am trying not to fall for, lest it break my heart, too.) First came Boomtown, easily the best show I have ever seen on television, after one season. I've still never gotten over that one. Then came Raines, also done by the same writer and producers of Boomtown and Band of Brothers. Raines only lasted for seven episodes, even though it starred Jeff Goldblum. Come on, NBC. Jeff Goldblum? You don't cancel Jeff Goldblum. Jeff Goldblum cancels YOU.

Anyway, I recently ordered the newly released box set of Life: Season 2, and it arrived yesterday. It was bittersweet, of course, but I decided to make the best of it, right up until I opened the case and saw the ad that NBC included with the set.

Dick move, NBC. You are dead to me.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dick move, NBC. You are dead to me." - Priceless

Sandi said...

I teased my husband endlessy about "Battlestar Nerdtastica" for a long time. Then one day I was bored and sat to watch it with him, and I got totally sucked in before the last season aired. It's a really great show, and I will miss it.

Nicole said...

If you like cop dramas you should really try "The Wire". It was on HBO but you can rent/netflix the seasons. It is an amazingly well done production.

Cassandra said...

Are you trying to tell me that avuncular smirk doesn't ease the pain?

Are you made of STONE, man?

Christopher said...

Jay Leno sold his soul to the devil and now the rst of ou our paying for it.

I love Southland: it is doomed.

I wish I actually believed in the devil, makes it easier to understand why NBC network execs are so stupid. I think I could program better with a dart board.

Nightfall said...

They seem to be taking a page from the Fox book of bass-ackwards station management. WTF?

Suzanne said...

Ouch. So very wrong. You can now tell people that Jay Leno ruined your Life.

Pia said...

Smart, well acted, well written shows are SOOOOO overrated. I mean really... follow complex plot lines and fancy-shamcy dialog??? PLEASE. Heck, if you have to do THAT you might as well start READING. Now, if you can pander to the lowest common demonator AND mug for the camera... cash in the bank, my friend, cash in the bank.

Anonymous said...

well first of all, when i saw the word "injury" mentioned in the blog title , i thought, oh lord, rob's cut off another finger tip.....

i'm sorry rob, i'm going to have to duck after immediately posting this, but i've never heard of Life....and i LOVE jay leno :( I do enjoy Southland though :) NBC as a network does suck.

Unknown said...

Cancelled? Cancelled!?! Well, crap. I don't pay enough attention to these things. Life was one of the few primetime shows I watch these days. I can't believe we won't get to see what happens next. RIP Crews and Reese.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can get your BSG fix with Caprica which starts in January.

Robert Hudson said...

Oops, when I turned on comment moderation, I forgot to turn on the email notification letting me know that there were actually comments waiting. Sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

Cna't stand Jay Leno, love BSG. have never seen Life, but will now be looking for it.

Shelly said...

I am also sad about the cancellation of life that was a great show! What is wrong with NBC

Elizabeth said...

I might have to send this post over to my good friend who is one of Jay Leno's head writers (he actually hates his job, though). I'm in total agreement with you but about different shows that are constantly replaced with reality tv. It seems that only HBO and Showtime consistently show quality stuff and maybe AMC because of Mad Men.

Michelle said...

OH CRAP! You're kidding??? I had not heard that Life was cancelled. I LOVED Life. I have a feeling this fall is going to be a bummer...

katie said...

I still mourn Raines. I have even broken my rule of watching shows in the Law & Order series because it means I can see Jeff Goldblum at least every other week. But it's not really the same.

That was such a good seven episodes.

H said...

I thought I was the only person who watched Boomtown. I loved that show!

Megan said...

My husband and I just finished watching both seasons of Life on DVD. Damn that Jay Leno! We really enjoyed it and are sorry it was cancelled.

sarah said...

Have you seen Sons of Anarchy on FX? Great writing, laugh out loud funny scenes even though it is ANYTHING but a comedy! Season 2 is about to start, just watched season 1 on netflix.

Lisa said...

Wicked humor is back. You must be feeling better...

Anonymous said...

You know what is even scarier? I heard commentary on NPR yesterday about how if Leno's new show is successful, it could change the landscape of broadcast television entirely. More networks will move to this type of format, and stop making dramas, because it's much cheaper to produce.

I will never forgive Leno for ruining TV is this happens.

Susie said...

You called it, Rob. Southland is gone.

Robert Hudson said...

What? Seriously? Jesus Howard Christ, I hate being right sometimes.