January 5, 2009

Grey matters


Waking up, unhappy
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
We wanted a black and white answer, something sure, something where we could say "That's great news," or "That sucks, I'm going to get drunk". Something where our friends and family and readers could join us in celebration or console us as we got ready for the next big fight.

The reality that most special needs parents face is cloaked in shades of grey. We finally receive the answers for which we wait for so long, and we step back and look at them and say, "Huh. Okay then. What now?"

So here's the short version. During the hour or so that Schuyler was connected to the EEG monitor, no seizures were recorded. A number of episodic abnormalities were recorded, none of them bilateral and the majority of them occurring on the left side of her brain. Probably not surprising, considering the malformation of Schuyler's brain that is the signature of her monster, but it presents an unknown wrinkle nevertheless. These abnormal episodes aren't seizures. We're not sure what they are or what effect they have on her, if any.

More questions. More grey areas.

The next step will be an extended, 48-hour EEG, in which Schuyler will spend the weekend wearing a portable unit that will record her brain's electrical activity as she goes through her day. Not sure when this will happen, but we'll find out soon. Easy, right?

I'm not sure how it's going to work, actually. Getting her to go through another EEG might be a challenge. She was having a good time for the early part of the procedure. The tech was a lot of fun, and he let her help put the leads together with the tape and ask "What is this?" about every device and doodad he used. She loved that he could mysteriously understand every Martian word she said, as if he spends his days hearing worse speech than hers from more severely broken kids, which of course he does. She didn't even mind the stinky, sticky blue goo that went in her hair beneath the sensor contacts.

But when the test began in earnest and the lights began flashing, she suddenly began to take it seriously. I think she suddenly remembered, at least on some level, the endless tests and evaluations and medical procedures that predated her diagnosis back in 2003. By the time she woke up from the sleeping portion of the festivities and rubbed her little hands (and apparently just a little of the blue goo) in her eyes, she was well and truly DONE with the EEG. It has been years since I've seen her cry like that. She actually asked for Jasper, her oldest and most beloved teddy bear, and wouldn't let go of him for the rest of the afternoon.

I think I understand what she was feeling. Even though she was probably too young to remember much of it now, I think on some subconscious level, Schuyler was suddenly back in 2003 again, being tested and evaluated and confused by medical procedures which could not have possibly made any sense to her. For a while, Julie and I were in 2003 again. Not because of anything that was actually happening today, because really, the EEG was just about the least traumatic procedure imaginable. Nothing painful except for the irritation in her eyes (and really, that was just the blue icing on the already unhappy cake at that point), and no one was treating her like a patient instead of a person. And yet, the underlying feeling was the same.

Sometimes, most of the time, the monster isn't a thing we face. It's a thing we fear, a thing that exists not as a reality, which can be shitty but is at least something that can be grappled with, but instead as a growling "What If?" in the dark. When Julie saw Schuyler asleep on that bed, her head wrapped in wires and full of innocent little girl dreams, she cried, because that's how she purges it. She cries and then she gets back to work. I sat in a chair next to the bed, the lights turned down low as I watched my little girl sleep, and for a few minutes I let myself give in to the gathering gloom, the shadow that seems to creep around Schuyler in those moments. I didn't cry so much as let the feeling grip me. Tears in my eyes, perhaps, but not crying so much as feeling that little pit as it opened again, the one that we first saw six years ago and only occasionally have to peek into.

And then we pull ourselves together, we dispel the fears, if only for a little while, and when the lights come on, the shadows recede. And we get back to work.

We ask black and white questions, and we receive grey answers in return. And when I think about it, I guess that's probably for the best. I've seen far too many families who looked for black and white answers and only got black ones. I'll take grey.

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

There's a special kind of post-traumatic stress disorder, I think, that pertains to children with monsters and their parents. I know I've felt it over and over, and I especially appreciate your descriptions of peering into the hole...
As a recipient of much gray, I feel for you. It's just plain, well, gray.

Amanda said...

I wish you guys had received a more definitive answer - I guess, in this situation, the "grey" answer is the best one...but I know it's not an answer you can really count on. Thank you for keeping us posted on Schulyer's test - I was wondering how it all went.

Annie B. said...

Once again, you find the perfect phrase to sum up the heart of the matter. . .for so many of us. . ."we are asking black and white questions and getting gray answers." Pretty much sums up the last dozen or so years for us!
Glad that this test is over . . .and now back to school and a little normalcy. . .whatever that is.

Anonymous said...

Yes, of course she remembers...as do Julie, and you.

There's nothing easy about this...glad she has Jasper, and other assorted monsters, to help her process it.

xo

Anonymous said...

In a perfect world, I would not even know that Schuyler existed. Her broken mind would be fixed and she would not have these monsters to contend with. However little help this brings, I want you and her to know that her strength is giving strength to others. Schuyler is an amazing little girl, as well you know and this is not some religious rant. This is just another broken human being who is marveled at her tenacity and will power. After reading your blog for so long, I felt now was the right time to comment. Schuyler you are brilliant. Do not let anyone ever tell you differently, not that you would :) Keep on battling through and scream and shout and cry when you need to but always end smiling, just like you do. You too Rob. And, after what she has been through I am not surprised about the angry tears. Schuyler is entitled to them more than anyone.

Karen said...

I'm so sorry. Please let her know that we are thinking of her.

kris said...

Thinking of you guys. It's tough when the cloud's lining is grey instead of silver.

Schuyler's a trooper, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

I hate grey. I always want black or white, but you're right -- grey is better than black, in a way. I hope the next one is not so traumatic.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that picture! Poor Schuyler! Poor... all of you, really. I can't imagine what you are going through. I can only hope that you will get some answers soon - good answers. Hang in there.

Quill2006 said...

Ohhh, that picture of Schuyler made me tear up. I hope she feels better now!

I had to have several EEGs as a child and they were definitely not fun.

I hope the goo is easier to remove from hair than it was 15 years ago, but I doubt it. My clearest memory of the EEGs is trying to get that gunk out of my hair with about 20 gallons of shampoo!

Monroegirl said...

Of course, I cried reading this...so funny how your description brings up many sad memories of waiting during appointments and tests and hospitalizations...wondering what the world is going to hurl at top speed into Mason's face next. There's Nothing Worse than watching your kid go through tests. Nothing. I hope gray is enough for you....I somehow sense it won't be. But, kudos for being strong in the face of all of this. I hope Schuyler is recovered before starting the next one. ARGH, I say.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you didn't get quite the answers you were hoping to get...in our experience with Chris, ANY brain that is not formed 'properly' will have abnormal waves. (typically 'slowing' of waves in a particular area of the brain)

My 9 year old has migraines with some visual disturbances, and her 'normal' EEG has some 'slowing' of waves in the occipital lobe. Chris' abnormal waves are typical of an epileptic brain. The electricity is just not firing in perfect order.

I suspect you may find much of the same with the 48 hour recording. Hopefully you can catch an actual 'space episode' though and get it recorded. That is key.

Chris spent 8 days in the hospital a couple of years ago, we took away his medicine, trying to provoke a seizure that could be recorded. It took 7 days for him to have one - where he had been having them daily, WITH medication, prior to the hospital stay. Go figure - the brain is a goofy thing.

Good luck, we'll be thinking of you all.

Cyndi

Ellen Seidman said...

Robert, hi. I'm with you on not looking too hard for black and white answers. I just put up a post today on the hard lessons I learned about dealing with a special-needs kid, one of which was to toss the books about developing. You always have such a good handle on things, I'd appreciate your weighing in. Post is at http://lovethatmax.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-i-wish-id-known-when-max-was-baby.html

Kyla said...

K had diffuse slowing on her EEG, though, we've never caught any actual seizure activity, not even on her 48 hour EEG. We were in-patient for that one...nothing like having a two year old tethered to a wall. Joyful. ;)

All the many answers that are grey. We are notorious for getting abnormal but nonspecific results. We just expect it now, kind of like a running joke that isn't all that funny, when you think about it.