June 13, 2008

Sad Father's Day


I was all set to post something about Father's Day, and I might still do that. But I just found out that Tim Russert died today of an apparent heart attack.

I know we're going to hear a great deal about his contributions to the field of journalism, but the thing that I'll remember about Russert is that he wrote about fatherhood, both his life with his own dad and his relationship with his son, in a way that opened the door for other writers like myself who had something to say about being a father and a son, and what we're all trying to do in that role.

According to MSNBC:
Russert was a trustee of the Freedom Forum’s Newseum and a member of the board of directors of the Greater Washington Boys and Girls Club, and America’s Promise — Alliance for Youth.

In 1995, the National Father’s Day Committee named him “Father of the Year,” Parents magazine honored him as “Dream Dad” in 1998, and in 2001 the National Fatherhood Initiative also recognized him as Father of the Year.


Fathers have been pretty consistently marginalized in our societal narrative, but I think that is beginning to change, albeit slowly. Tim Russert was an agent of that change, although I suspect that all he really set out to do was write a love letter to his father (a personal mission I understand perfectly), and to give others a place to do the same. I truly regret the fact that I'll never have the opportunity to meet him, and to say thank you.

8 comments:

Nicole P said...

Rob - This made me sad today too - and I too remembered his book first when I heard the news - a book a gave to my own father last year for Father's Day. After he "got over" the fact that it was written by "a commie" (quotes - his words not mine) - he truly enjoyed the book. I loved that he did. Anyway. Sad news. - Nicole

Anonymous said...

Very sad indeed.

Omar said...

Well said. The timing certainly makes this even sadder.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, when I saw the title and then the picture of Tim Russert I thought maybe he had written another book. My heart caught in my throat reading that he died; somehow I have managed to not hear the news today.

Wow, what a terrible loss.

Jeanine said...

Thanks for posting this -- I heard the news yesterday and felt almost as if it was someone I knew personally.

And thanks for reminding us about his more personal writing -- I do hope that doesn't get lost in all the eulogizing of his journalistic achievements.

You said: "Fathers have been pretty consistently marginalized in our societal narrative..."

I must say, "huh??" You might have to explain this in a future post. I'm not sure if I'm reading the some "societal narrative" you are.

Happy Father's Day!

Robert Hudson said...

I'm sure I'll write about this, maybe later today.

Karen Putz said...

Pretty sad news-- especially since Tim was one of those down-to-earth guys.

Liana said...

Tim Russert's death made me really sad. It's such a huge loss, especially for his son. :(

Also, I agree about fathers being marginalized in our society in some ways, and that, thankfully, this is slowly changing. I'm eager to read your thoughts on the matter.