September 8, 2007

My Beloved Cyborg and Me

When Schuyler gets handed school projects that are beyond the scope of her monster, we roll up our sleeves and get creative. This weekend, she has to make a giant poster for her turn as the Second Grade Star Student of the Week, although it's unclear if she's actually the start student or if this is just getting the poster ready early. Apparently every kid gets a turn, which is probably as it should be in second grade. Let every little monkey get a taste of celebrity and power.

Schuyler functions pretty well in a mainstream setting, and she'll continue to improve as she goes alone. But like many of her projects, the big poster presented some challenges. Schuyler's handwriting is still very hard to read, for example, and she doesn't deal well with small spaces in which to write. We've been having her write out as much of her homework as possible, as opposed to printing it off the Big Box of Words like we did last year, but for her poster, we decided to use the computer and help her create something with a little zazz.

I know some people probably would disagree with helping her out with a project like this, as if we were ashamed of her monster-fogged work. I guess we felt that Schuyler's poster should reflect the girl behind the monster, rather than seeing all her interests and loves obscured by the Difference. Her artwork is good stuff, and her ideas of what she wanted to present were very cool and, yes, very Schuyler. (She drew King Kong, of course.) But since her writing is a problem and doesn't really keep up with the crazy race going on inside her head, we decided to do a few items for the poster as a family, and in doing so, bring some computer power into play.

Which was how Schuyler and I came to create a real artistic collaboration, a little comic book-style page telling about her new puppy, Max. She wrote the text and helped choose the photos, and I did the formatting for her, using basic Apple "drag this here and type this here and suddenly everyone thinks you know what you're doing" software.

(I was already thinking of comic book formatting because I'd been tidying up my old site, reformatting my old "pet blog" parody site, Flappo!, the night before. I know Flappo! was crude, and since the pet pages trend mercifully died out pretty soon after, the joke of vile, rude pets instead of cute, fluffy ones is sort of dated. Still, I have to admit, of all the pre-diagnosis things I ever did, Flappo! was maybe my favorite. It was my first attempt at humor after September 11th, although I'm not sure anyone else thought it was actually funny. Still, I sort of miss the guy who was writing that sort of thing, back before I became all Twenty-four Hour Tragedy Dad.)

When our Max page was done, we all just sort of looked at it and said, "Wow, maybe it looks TOO good." We didn't want it to appear that Schuyler just sat around playing with her dinosaurs while mom and dad obsessed over having the Absolutely Most Perfect Poster of all the Plano Kids, by golly. She served as both writer and director, after all.

But for Schuyler, with so much of her future waiting for her in the world of computers that will help her speak and create, even more so than most kids, perhaps it was fitting that she once again was able to compensate for her monster by electronic means. If Schuyler's going to have to engage in these compensatory measures to get through school, I think it's only fair that she be able to do so with style.

Schuyler's future looks great, so long as there's electricity. If civilization collapses and we all revert back to primitive life, however, I suspect she'll still be the kid holding the conch shell.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question about Schuyler and humor. She seems like she has a pretty developed sense of humor-which is one of the magical aspects of who she is. So I am wondering about how she (and you) feel about silent humor. Clowns, mimes, and great humor teams most always have someone that is totally silent-or at most makes a sound or two, but doesn't really talk. Mr. Bean for instance is almost completely silent-but funny. I must confess that mimes creep me out a little, as do some clowns, but what they do is funny.

Does Schuyler like this kind of humor? I realize that because her communication is somewhat limited audiably doesn't automatically make her love that in others. Being fat doesn't mean I like fat jokes-but usually I do as long as it isn't mean spirited. But the humorist that are silent are not usually making fun of those that communicate differently-they are using humor to communicate in a different way.

I love that you made a sort of comic book format for her poster-makes her seem like a super hero. Light hearted, but also covers the bases for the assignment-which I guess leads me to my question above. You guys often use humor to get around some of the hard stuff-a way to deal. Which is why my question arose.

britmummybites said...

If she doesn't get top marks then her teachers needs their brain tested.

Middle child has a "scribe" her handwritting has improved a lot over the last year but the scribe is there to write down what she says and fomulate that in to a sentance. As daughter has great difficulties in that aspect of school work. Her reading and spelling are both improving slowly but her writing there's no change, it's at least 2 years behind.

Linda Ball said...

The Big Box of Words makes doggy sounds? Totally cool. Every kid gets parental help with projects whether they have a disability or not. My sister has spent a lifetime making miniature things and some grown up kids that had been neighbors of hers remember her helping make dioramas for school. ("We always had the best projects.") The parents' job is to help the kid express themselves and learn something from the project. I'm not sure all the normally-equipped kids do. But Schuyler wrote her story and helped pick the pictures. Maybe she watched you use the Apple to enhance YOUR abilities! She learned.

Doggy sounds! Are there other sound effects?

Jeanine said...

That's awesome! I would totally not worry about being too "hands-on" with homework help at this point. When you're punching up her college admission essays, Mr. Fancy Writerpants, then maybe the line has been crossed. Until then, have fun!

tiff said...

"Twenty-four Hour Tragedy Dad" - I hope it's not wrong that I laughed at this. You humor is wonderful!

Yay for puppies, BTW, and yay for using technology to help your kid. Our #1 son had fine motor skillz issues for a while (he's 12 now, and finally growing out of it), and we did a lot of typing and printing out of homework so that people could SEE what he was capable of. Like you're doing, that didn't mean we gave him a pass on the handwriting, but early success breeds the desire for more success, so you've got to help the little buggers along, don't you?

Unknown said...

My son (now 14) has damage to the basal ganglia, so he has a lot of motor difficulties and the computer has been a godsend for him. Some teachers still don't understand that he is ALLOWED to use the computer (it is in his IEP) and get a bit put out by it, but for the most part, he has done very well. We also wrote in that he learned to touch type, and he types about 45 wpm. He was the only person running for student council in 5th grade who made his own powerpoint and presented it himself. The speaking part was hard, but he practised very hard and did so well, and he was elected VP! Schuyler is so lucky to have that technology available to her, to give her a voice, so awesome!

And her work looks great too!

meanderings said...

You are so totally justified in working w/ Schuyler to complete her work. It's truly awesome that you work so hard with her and that SHE works so hard to do anything. When I taught (SpEd), I was delighted when parents were able to take the time to complete homework, projects, whatever... with their children. The ultimate goal is for the child to learn, not the process. I love reading about Schuyler's progress. It makes me smile to know a child gets so VERY much support.
Colleen

wen said...

i think she'll probably blow on the conch shell to call everyone over and then grab a stick and write her message in the sand. ;)

and, hey, there are seriously worse things than being involved in your kid's schooling and helping her out with her homework. it's not like you did it, you facillitated her getting her story out.

Anonymous said...

Rob,

First time poster, long time reader. I just wanted to say that I am amazed by your compassion and ability to conquer all of the roadblocks that have been placed in your own and your daughter's way. I am in awe of your skills as a parent.