June 13, 2007

Future Girl



Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
For the past few days, I've been listening to the audiobook of Anne Lamott's Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith. (I have a 45 minute commute to work three days a week, and my apartment complex's housepainters broke off my car's antenna while removing a cover a few weeks ago, so I've been listening to audiobooks lately. Judge me if you must, book snobs.) I'm a big fan of Anne Lamott, even if we've arrived at different places spiritually, and I was even before we had Schuyler or met the monster.

A passage from the chapter called "Diamondheart" jumped out at me, in which Lamott writes about her son, Sam:

"I can see myself so clearly in him, many of my worst traits, some of my goodness. I can also still see many of Sam's ages in him: New parents always grieve as their babies get bigger, because they cannot imagine the child will ever be so heartbreakingly cute and needy again. But Sam is a swirl of every age he's ever been, and all the new ones, like cotton candy, like the Milky Way."


When I heard that, I realized that the same is true of Schuyler, and no doubt of every other kid as well. When I look at her, I can see the baby she was, back when she was fat as a slug and covered with strange black hair, like a baby Wookiee. I can see her as a stumbling toddler, her body already beginning to lengthen, her transition from baby to girl beginning, and yet with those fat cheeks remaining. When I look at Schuyler, who has become a rambunctious, leggy tornado of a girl, I can see the baby whom I wore against my chest shortly after moving to Connecticut, shielding her impossibly tiny body from the bitter cold blowing in from Long Island Sound. She remains all those Schuylers to me. She is still the Chubbin.

Some days, some moments even, I can also see into the future. I can see, like the ghost images in a photograph in which the subject is moving too fast for the shutter speed, the shadow of a pretty teenager who speaks like a robot but still makes that face at boys and causes them, and me, heartbreak and despair. When we're out these days, I sometimes see teenaged girls who are embarrassed by their fathers, and others who still cling to them unashamedly, and I suspect that Schuyler will be a little of both. I can see her a decade from now, still dressing against the norms of the North Dallas elite girls and yet maintaining her alien cred, the oddball stunner who carries her robotic voice in a stylish bag and doesn't wait to be told how to be cool.

Sometimes I can even see Schuyler the young woman, the one who'll have a chance to go to college or go out into the world and make a place for herself on her own terms. In my most selfish dreams, Schuyler the young woman will be a writer, and she'll pick up the thread of chronicling her amazing and unpredictable life after I am no longer around to contribute.

I can't predict what Schuyler's life will be like. I can't even begin. But sometimes she'll look into me with those eyes, the eyes of a child and the eyes of a being not entirely of this world, forever a child and yet wise beyond her years already. When she does, I can see the person she'll grow up to be, the wild and broken and astonishing and perfect woman she was born to become. Schuyler looks more and more like her mother as she grows older, but I see so much of myself in those eyes, and in that crooked smile she flashes right before she does something that causes everyone in the room to hurriedly say, "No! Nonononononononono! Give me that! Holy crap..."

When people ask what I do, I tell them I'm a writer because I can truthfully say it without air quotes now, and I like that. But the truth is, I am Schuyler's father, her launchpad, and when I reach the end of my days, I hope she'll be standing there beside me to send me on my way.

She won't have words, but then, she and I so rarely need them.

18 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Beautifully written, as always. I know it's been said before, but in this picture especially, Schuyler looks so much like Drew Barrymore.

S'mee said...

everything about this is beautiful.

Susan said...

Simply beautiful. I know it's said a lot, but thanks for sharing. You give me hope that there are still a few actual real men out there. I don't see examples of them often enough...

Julie Pippert said...

This is one of the best takes on parenthood, hands down. You've caught so much of my feelings, including the hope and fear, plus acceptance, and a slight girding of the loins for the future. Thanks.

Carey said...

This really moved me.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. You are a great writer, no quotes needed. I'm not a parent and that still brought tears to my eyes. Your precious daughter is lucky and blessed to have a father like you. :)

Nicole P said...

I know everyone's already said it, but I don't care. This was gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Your transcendent level of empathy and understanding for Schuyler blows me away.

I know it's cliche and corny - but when she realises not all Dads are as good as you are she's gonna love you even more.

btw - that's a great photo of her.

anne said...

Per usual, you have brought tears to my eyes. This passage (and so many before it) demonstrate why you can call yourself a writer. In my opinion, you could've dispensed with the air quotes long before your book.

Sonja Streuber, PMP(R), SSBB said...

What a great picture of Schuyler! So 1920s ... you'd expect her to pull her porcellain-headed dragon out of the toybox any moment now.

Anonymous said...

perfection.

Lene Andersen said...

I'm so glad you posted this beautifully written ode to your daughter, past, present and future. I am continually weirded out by the same experience when I look at my sister - who at almost 11 years younger than I, is as close to a child as I'll ever get. Watching her hold her 18-month old babies when I can see the three-year-old in her is beyond freaky.

As for audiobooks... I started reading that way a few years ago when my neck and shoulders became so injured by my arthritis that it hurt too much hold a book. Much to my surprise, I fell in love with the medium. Not only can I read while I make lunch, brush my teeth and walk down the street, but I get more out of the books now that I'm not speedreading them myself. And certain narrators can make the text sing. These days, I save my snobbery for the abomination that is abridged books, whether audio or non.

Liz Brooks said...

I know absolutely what you mean. When my daughter was born four years ago and they placed her in my arms, I looked into her eyes and for one lightning-flash of an instant I could see the adult she would one day become, and it was beyond a doubt the most... spiritual moment of the entire thing. The one moment when it hit me that I wasn't just holding a baby; I was holding a whole person. The realization comes back to me from time to time, but that was the moment I really began to understand the enormity of what we had done.

Major Bedhead said...

Dood. That was just gorgeous. It encapsulates what we all want for our kids, broken and otherwise. But, man, you keep ripping at my heartstrings like that and I'm going to start blubbing all over the place. It won't be pretty.


I love the term broken. I probably shouldn't, it will probably get me lots of grief down the line, but it's apt. My kid is broken. She's still a kid, in all her infuriating, adorable, maddening ways, but she's broken.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Yay for Anne Lamott! She's great :) She has a good knack for saying things in new ways- kinda like you do. So glad you like her too!

Jenbuster said...

Beautiful Rob, beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful Father's day with Schuyler and Julie.

Anonymous said...

Thats the first time a blog has made me tear up. The love jumps off the page.

Kathryn said...

Rob, There are so many things I love about this beautifully written post. I love the Anne Lamott quote. The concept she writes of is something I had been thinking about regarding my Ellie. And reading that was very reasuring.

I love how much you love your daughter and how beautifully you capture her in words.

I also laughed out loud thinking of Schulyer the young woman and how mortified she might be to read that "she was fat as a slug and covered with strange black hair, like a baby Wookiee". A description only a parent can truly appreciate.

Then again, she might not be mortified at all. Still it made me laugh.