December 9, 2006

If my plane crashes, this crappy post will be my legacy to the world.


Hi there.
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
It's the season of birthdays here. Mine was a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday was Julie's. Schuyler's birthday is on the 21st, followed shortly by the Baby Jesus. I'm not telling you what Julie's getting because it's going to be both late and swell, but Schuyler's getting a Hello Kitty digital camera from her father, as a result of her budding interest in photography. I have no idea what Jesus wants. Maybe an iPod.

Tomorrow I leave for New York City, to do the Media Bistro panel, meet my agent and my publisher (at the famously weird Flatiron Building) for the first time, and also to attend an artsy fartsy holiday book party.

The panel itself has generated some strange publicity in the past week. I don't really have much of an opinion about the whole thing. Both sides make some good points and, well, some dumb ones, too. I like the fact, however, that in all the discussions of whose book did better and who's a big player and who isn't, my own name hasn't been mentioned once. I'm the only person involved on this panel who hasn't actually been published yet, so until I open my mouth Monday night, no one knows who I am.

Just this once, there's an online pissing match going on and I'm standing off to the side watching, in happy anonymity. I feel like the fourth Ghostbuster.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Page Six?! Now you know you're event is truly important (just kidding, but I do admit a strange fasination with the world of Page Six.)

Only in New York, Kids, only in New York.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

okay, maybe third time's the charm, if not I'm writing Blogger a very stiff letter. Very stiff indeed. On cardboard or something.

Anyway, I've got a candy-pooping toy polar bear for you if you want it. I can be reached at jenevastorme at gmail dot com.

Anonymous said...

I'm compelled to link to Mark Morford's brilliant SFGate articles from April 2005:

What's on Jesus' iPod? Part 1 and Part 2

Ceedy said...

Wouldn't Jesus want an iGod?

tonya said...

Well now A LOT more people know who you are! (and are going to be READING, as opposed to possibly just accidentally finding, your blog!). I really enjoyed hearing you and the others speak last night. I'm very new to blogging and had no idea what things like hits / page views meant, etc. etc. I only knew of Michael's blog before last night, so I was very happy to be introduced to more successful blogger authors.

Your blog and memoir look so interesting. I have recurring globus, which, after visiting some of the links on the right-hand side of your page, I realized is totally different from what Schuyler has (mine's psychological), but I remember seeing "dysphagia" written all over my medical reports so I was curious...

Anyway, I'm definitely going to start reading your blog, and will buy your book when it comes out. Congratulations on your success!