May 10, 2006

Talking about the weather


Angry clouds
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
Little did I know when I took this photo that this storm was going to kill people.

Considering how close this storm was, we didn't actually see any of it at our place. After I took this photo, we sat outside and watched these huge thunderheads move in, towering overhead and flashing with lightening but never actually reaching our place. The winds whipped our clothes and blew the ducks around the pond, but the storm itself moved just north of us. What was a beautiful and awesome display for us was a profoundly crappy experience for the three people who died and the ten who were hospitalized.

We didn't think much of it at the time, beyond "Cool, big clouds!", even when the tornado warning flashed across the screen. It wasn't until we turned on the television this morning that we saw the images of debris and house foundations and the inevitable "It sounded like a hundred freight trains!" interviews.

This time of year in north Texas, weather warnings scoot across the screen almost every night. You quickly determine whether or not your house is going to get sucked up or your car flattened by hail, and then you go back to your "What Not to Wear" or whatever. It doesn't necessarily occur to you that somewhere just up the road, someone else's home and life is getting ripped apart.

Makes you think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually thought of you and your family when I saw this on the news this morning. Had to go online and check on y'all!
And you are right - it does make you think, and for me, I am amazed at the fact that a blog from a dad in Texas, had me hoping that people I have never met, but care about anyway, were OK.

topcad said...

Hey Rob,
Just curious but what morning TV news show do you watch in DFW? (and why?)

Anonymous said...

The weather sucked here last night too, gusts at 60 mph, and it blew a panel loose on my wood fence between my yard and my neighbors. On the other side of her yard she lost a whole panel, and her hubby is in Iraq, so guess what my good deed for the day is? My husband woke me up at 6 this morning to let me know I needed to fix ours so I might as well do hers too. All the neighbor dogs are sticking their heads through, hers, her neighbors, and mine, I may as well just open a dog park.
I was more worried about my trees, it did alot of damage here, but no one was hurt thankfully, this weather is nuts.
Donna of donnathedead@yahoo.com
(guess I need to get a blogger account huh?)

CameraDawktor said...

Beautiful, but deadly. Yikes!