May 28, 2006

Monster Girl


Monster Girl
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
Schuyler and I were hanging out the other day, eating some cheese and watching television, and we stumbled across a Godzilla movie.

Schuyler loves monsters, and she loves dinosaurs. Godzilla is both. She was in a state of absolute joy.

The funny thing about this movie was that it was a fairly recent one, from 2001, but it took me a while to realize that. I mean, 2001 was just a few years ago; Peter Jackson's amazing effects for The Lord of the Rings were already in theaters, and yet Japanese Godzilla movies looked as cheap and crappy as ever. Some of the effects were passable, such as his atomic halitosis, but by and large it was still a guy in a big fat rubber suit, stomping around a tiny Japanese city like the Grimace. His face looked a little better, not so much like the Cookie Monster as past incarnations, but not much. I was actually charmed at how the Japanese must have a sort of fondness for bad Godzilla effects. Clearly, they could make a better looking monster, and choose not to.

Anyway, he was good enough for Schuyler. When Julie got home from work, Schuyler told her she saw a dinosaur on her device and then "raar"-ed around the apartment for the rest of the evening.

This is pretty representative of the kind of weekend Schuyler and I had together while Julie worked. I've talked about it before, but we have a vibe together that's unique to the time we're alone. When anyone else is around, Schuyler deals with the usual six year-old complicated social dynamics. But in our own ways we are broken, she and I, and so we give each other a break.

One thing I've never mentioned here, at least that I don't recall, is that Schuyler sleeps like the dead. At an early age, she started sleeping regular hours, and she goes to bed willingly, with a laugh, a story or two and a big sloppy kiss. Once she's out, that's it. She won't wake up until she's ready. If I get a late night phone call and I don't want to disturb Julie (who is a very light sleeper), I will actually take the call in Schuyler's room, while she sleeps. She never so much as stirs.

With this in mind, and the fact that I do my best writing when there aren't any distractions and haven't been getting all that much in the way of quality time with the book, we are considering getting Schuyler some kind of loft bed and putting a little writing desk underneath it for me. We'd share the space, and I'd spend late nights writing her book while she slept above me. It seems to make a perfect kind of sense.

I wonder sometimes if she and I would be as close as we are, as weirdly in sync, if it weren't for her monster. If she were a normal child, if I didn't have to listen and watch so closely and so patiently to understand what she was saying, would I love her as deeply as I do? Would she love me with the same energy, with the same constancy, if she didn't have to work so hard to build her own world and share it with me? I don't know. A broken, beautiful, silent Schuyler is the only one I've ever known. I wouldn't know what to do with any other kind, and so I love her with everything I am.

Schuyler loves monsters, something I suppose she got from me. Unlike myself, however, she doesn't seem to mind her own monster too much.

It's too bad she's already in bed. Kung Fu Hustle is on, and she'd love the beautiful mute girl. That, and all the fancy ass kicking. She is my pretty ninja, after all.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two are are just a perfect little team. I bet she would love a loft bed, too. Especially knowing Daddy was close. We just bought a bunk bed for our son (six next week) and he loves it. Check out IKEA! We would have gone that route if there were one close. They have some very reasonably-priced cool little lofts

Anonymous said...

I can't help but wonder if many parents learn as much from their children as you do from Schuyler. From reading this blog, and from one particular entry on Dooce, I see so much salvation in children for their parents - thought, it also seems, not in the ways the parents expected it would come. What a life.

Snarkasaurus said...

It's funny but I think the questions you raise in your post are the exact same feelings that make "Going to Holland" so poignant for many parents.

Taking a different path (unwillingly of course) brings different points of view and different rewards (along with different types of days from hell.)

S. looks exactly like Julie in that picture!

Mrs. Mancuso said...

We just bought that bed for our boy Nico on the 15th!! It is way cool.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/357/40/1600/nicosnewbed.jpg

http://misspixie.blogspot.com/2006_05_01_misspixie_archive.html#114772419289970094

Anonymous said...

You wrote: "If she were a normal child, if I didn't have to listen and watch so closely and so patiently to understand what she was saying, would I love her as deeply as I do?"

I've been reading about Schuyler since before she was born. You have loved her fiercely, deeply, with your whole being, since that time. You are the father I wish I had had (and I think I'm old enough top be your mother!

Margaret DeAngelis

:) said...

Rob, this is one of my favorite things you've ever written about Schuyler - ever. Beautifully done. I hope you will make it part of your book.

Anonymous said...

Rob, will you be my father, please? Discount the fact that I'm 60 years old...please??? You are precious beyond belief!

LoveItHere said...

I can't wait for her to read what you've written. Someday these will be very, very special to her.

Anonymous said...

Kung Fu Hustle is GREAT.

I like that loft bed, except for the fact that it's, well, designed for a loft apt. It's entirely too tall to be used in a regular room with 9 1/2 ft. ceilings.

Pegkitty said...

Just need to add, "Atomic Halitosis" is TOTALLY the name of my next album.

Anonymous said...

Go for the loft bed. Schuyler will love it.

Your writing and photos are great. Thanks for sharing. Be good.

CameraDawktor said...

You and Schuyler definitely have something unique because of her monster, but I think you would have a special relationship regardless, you just seem like that kind of a hands-on-dad. It would just be different than what you have now. I guess that's one thing to be greatful for in your situation, that you have such an extremely beautiful bond with her.

Anonymous said...

I hope you've heard of this site --http://www.giantmonstermayhem.com/godzilla.htm

It has all the action figures from Godzilla!

Anonymous said...

Hi... yes, you'd love her that much no matter what. My kids are normal (yeah, whatever that means), and I love them with the ferocity you describe. It's a symbiotic relationship like nothing I have ever experienced, not even with my husband who really holds my heart in his heart. Together we love our kids beyond what I thought possible. You are a good parent, and you are doing a respectable thing talking about your daughter this way. I find it very admirable, and one day she will too.