April 14, 2006

Talking about stuff


Us XIX
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
I got interviewed!

The site is a diabetic blog, and so most of the questions were about my own experiences with the Beedies. I've done some interviews in the past where the questions made me cringe, but this time around I really liked them, and I tried to answer them as honestly as I could. I don't think I came across as particularly knowledgeable, which of course is sadly accurate, but at the very least I hope I seemed like a nice enough guy who might just get his diabetic crap together before someone has to saw off his feet. In any case, I was very pleased with how it turned out, and it might just lead to some more cool stuff. I'm being vague about that last bit because I know it pisses you off.

It's been a weird few days for me. Yesterday I had an outright bad day. I keep reading that it's bad for diabetics to skip meals, and yesterday I discovered that yes, it is in fact not a good idea for diabetics, or at least this diabetic, to go all day without eating. About the time I left work for the long drive home, my energy dropped dramatically, my feet started to feel like someone was stabbing them with knives, and I got dizzy. As soon as I walked in the door, I fell on the bed and passed out for about half an hour.

Julie found me and (with some effort) woke me up, and I groggily took my blood sugar, expecting it to be badly elevated. Weirdly, though, it was unusually low, almost where it was supposed to me. I had dinner and almost instantly felt much better. I have no idea what happened, although I am pretty sure it was high and then dropped like crazy for some reason. What reason? Who the hell knows? Not me.

So yeah, my body has become a mysterious and hostile organism. Today I didn't mess around. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I got some exercise with Schuyler, who was home from school thanks to the kickoff of Zombie Jesus Weekend. I bought her a little pink soccer ball for three bucks, and it was worth every one of those three hundred pennies. I feel normal tonight, healthy even.

So there's one more bit of advice that didn't make it into the interview. Eat some damn food.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Zombie Jesus Weekend". It worries me when you say things like that.

But I'm glad you're feeling better.

jas said...

Funny..."Zombie Jesus Weekend" made me snort...

Anonymous said...

What happens is that if you get low enough (ie. by not eating!) your body will dump a whole bunch of excess sugar from your cells into your bloodstream and you'll go really high really suddenly, hence the insta-nap. When you woke up you had enough time for this to lower so you had an almost normal reading. It's like a last ditch safety mechanism but it does a lot of damage to the cells if it goes on long enough without you eating. Kinda counterintuitive but nothing about the Beedies is normal!

Anonymous said...

Those were really good interview questions. I'm impressed too!

lilymoonchild said...

wait until your entire body from the waist down feels like you're being stabbed with pins and needles. good times, I tell you; good times.

lilymoonchild said...

Oh yeah, and sometimes, if you eat a bit of sugar (like, say, a twinkie) after not eating all day, your lips burn and swell up and turn purple, and you think you're having an allergic reaction to something and you're going to die. And I'm not even diabetic, just insulin resistant.