April 22, 2006

Been better, been worse.


Target, by Luke Chueh
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
Well, it's been a mixed bag of a week. On one hand, people have been slightly more hateful than usual, Schuyler is sick and coughing like a chain smoker, and of course my mouth feels like I've been snacking on glass.

On the other hand, work is going really well, and my pro-blogging career kicked off nicely, by golly. Best of all, I talked to my agent tonight.

And yeah, I still feel like a bit of an asshole when I say that. What are you going to do?

The bad news is that two editors who were very interested in my book changed publishers and are no longer able to publish memoirs. (Imagine, they'd rather change jobs than turn down my agent. I told you she was good.) The good news? Two more editors are looking as we speak, and she's fairly confident that she'll have even better news soon.

I'd be more anxious about it if I actually had a finished book.

We discussed my diabetes diagnosis and whether it should change the direction of my book, and we agreed that it would just be a distraction. Schuyler's monster is both unique and poignant, she said. Diabetes is common and boring.

"No one wants to read about your diabetes, Robert," she said.

Heh. Like I didn't know that already.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just means that you have another book ahead of you all about you and diabetes. :)

Good luck on your search for a new publisher. Shouldn't be too long now.

Linda Ball said...

I agree. Nothing you do is boring somehow, Robert! Never heard anyone call you that.

Promise me you will get those teeth probably fixed and start flossing and going for regular cleaning. Nothing like a comfy mouth to make you feel better. But it is costly.

Anonymous said...

I too, decided to browse your new blog. Either you've got a good writer, or your a professional one yourself!
Very "newsy" and interesting at the same time, even though I do not have diabetes. I hope that they have given you lots of flexibility in what/how you write your articles.

Anonymous said...

When it comes to having a tooth go bad under a cap, it has more to do with the dentist that did the work than with flossing and cleanings.

Unfortunately, I can speak to this.

Mark G

Robert Hudson said...

And the funny thing is that I have this strange feeling that I saw this dentist when I was in college. Wouldn't it be funny if he did the original work?

Yeah. Real funny.