April 30, 2006

Sunday afternoon, and a question.


She's got a flag.
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
I took a break from a problematic video project today and spent the afternoon bike riding with Schuyler. We rode to lunch, had crappy fast food while listening to cheesy 80s music ("She blinded me with science!"), and explored the neighborhood for a few hours. It was the best time we've had a a long, long time.

The biggest change in Schuyler these days, as evidenced by my last entry, is her level of comprehension of the things we tell her and the world around her. We always knew it was there to some extent, but lately it's been possible to converse with her more than ever before.

While we were eating, she got very mellow and cuddled up next to me like she does sometimes. She gets weirdly focused and serious when she's like this, and it's then, with our faces close to each other, that we talk.

I don't know why I never asked her before.

"Do you ever wish you could talk?"

She looked at me for a moment. "Yeah," she said with only a touch of sadness. It's one of her handful of words she can speak fairly clearly. Well, clearly to us, anyway.

But then she thought about it and changed her mind. "No," she said, and smiled. She's got new teeth coming in, so her smile isn't as gummy as it's been lately.

"You don't want to talk?" I asked.

"Huh uh."

"Really?"

"Noooooooo," she said with a little smile and an eye roll, as if it was a silly question.

"You getting along okay like this?"

"Yeah!" she said with a laugh, and that was it. The serious talky window was closed and we were back to play time.

Which was perfectly fine with me. I liked the answer I got.

9 comments:

Victoria said...

Oh my god, reach through the computer screen and grab my heart and just effing squeeze it why don't you.

Anonymous said...

Never thought I could be so inspired by someone a quarter of my age. She's awesome. :)

grandefille said...

I. Love. That. Child.

Her parents, too.

What an amazing person y'all are raising. Congratulations.

Kisses from Tennessee.

Pegkitty said...

All Right!!!

and hey, I LIKE that song.

bozoette said...

So much revealed in so few words. How lovely that you asked and that she answered.

CameraDawktor said...

That's a heavy conversation. I so wish I could actually see you two interact with each other.

I imagine its so wonderful.

You guys ROCK!

Isn't it great being loved. Schuyler is so loved!

laura capello said...

I like the answer you got.

There's a reason why you're her parent and she's your child.

Moreena said...

I like that answer, too. Am I reading it right to think that what she was giving you was really a "yes" and a "no" and a "what the hell kind of question is that" response? Clever girl, if so, to have realized already that big questions sometimes can be answered in two completely contradictory ways and both be perfectly right. Clever and deep.

Veeg said...

Schuyler just. . . "rocks" is not even enough to describe it. She is a wonder.