April 26, 2006

Listen


Anne Lamott, Schuyler and me
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
"A sober friend once said to me, 'When I was still drinking, I was a sedated monster. After I got sober, I was just a monster.' He told me about his monster. His sounded just like mine without quite so much mascara. When people shine a little light on their monster, we find out how similar most of our monsters are. The secrecy, the obfuscation, the fact that these monsters can only be hinted at, gives us the sense that they must be very bad indeed. But when people let their monsters out for a little onstage interview, it turns out that we've all done or thought the same things, that this is our lot, our condition. We don't end up with a brand on our forehead. Instead, we compare notes."

--Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!

Anonymous said...

Three of my heroes, all in the same picture together. Wonderful.

--Catherine

Susie said...

That's so cool, Rob.

grandefille said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

's WONDERFUL!

I'm so glad for y'all. I'm so glad Miss Anne got to meet y'all.

And when Schuyler's writing HER books, she'll probably mention, "You know, when I was about 6, my dad took me to meet this really funny lady at a bookstore, and we talked about ..."

Kisses to all y'all. Repeatedly.

Anonymous said...

totally awesome. You're so lucky to have met Anne Lamott! And Schuyler is one rockin' chick. I bet Anne, with her "anti-establishment" blonde dreadlocks, loved Schuyler's "anti-establishment" 6-year-old dyed red hair.

parodie said...

I am _so_ jealous.
;-)

Finding My New Normal said...

Cool! I heard Anne on the Satelite Sisters yesterday and thought of you. Thanks for the photo. Bird By Bird is one of my very favorite books.

In meeting authors news, next week I am going to meet Jennifer Weiner!

CameraDawktor said...

That is a tottaly awesome quote. And look, there you and Schuyler are with the famous author.

That ROCKS!

Anonymous said...

I am convinced more than ever that very soon you and Schuyler will be signing the books, and we slobering minions will be bragging that we have a picture of you signing our copy.