March 5, 2008

Sick day


The Jasper Collection
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
As I write this, Schuyler has been asleep for about thirteen hours straight. She was sent home from school yesterday with a temp of 100.3, and while she spent the day at home with Julie in good spirits and seemed to be her usual happy self when I got home from work, she crawled into our bed at about 6 last night and is still there now.

It's interesting to me how much energy seems to get sapped out of the world when Schuyler is sick. It makes me realize exactly how much of my own attitude and enthusiasm is drawn from her. Anyone who has met Schuyler knows what I'm talking about. Her energy is contagious. Here's hoping that whatever has her laid out for thirteen hours (and counting) isn't.

I take off for my book tour in two days. Houston on Saturday, over to Austin on Sunday, and then San Antonio on Tuesday. If you're in town for any of these, come out and say hello. I'm looking forward to this as much as anyone looks forward to driving over 800 miles in five days. There are a lot of people I'm looking forward to seeing on this trip, and I'm really excited about meeting new folks as well. My social circle in Plano is pretty limited. (And short, and mute.)

14 comments:

Kerri. said...

I hope Schuyler's feeling better soon.

And good luck with your touring and people-meeting. :D

Linda Ball said...

I'm planning to be at the Arboretum. Don't forget about the lost hour and be late! Just kidding, you wouldn't do THAT. I was thinking 800 miles? He's exaggerating! Then I added it up and yep it is that far to make the route and get back. Yikes. At least they didn't tell you to drop by Odessa. Good story in the book, by the way, linking Odessa and Plano. In our family Plano isn't a yuppie community but the site of the farm my grandparents lost in the depression. If you stumble on a little cemetery amid the sprawl one day, there are my grandparents and aunts.

sjcadd said...

Just had to report on another sighting -- I was at my eye doctor, Rochester, NY, yesterday, reading (something else), and waiting to be seen, when over the radio, I hear "....Rummell-Hudson, .... journey with his wordless daughter..." Just then the eye doctor (finally) came in to see me so I don't know what station, or what context I was hearing, but as a long time reader, I was sooo excited for you!

Robert Hudson said...

Very cool! I think it was probably this program.

Shannon said...

I hope she's feeling better soon! All of that sleep should do her well.

Amy Lynn said...

Feel better, Schuyler!

And have a great book tour, Rob.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait see you at the Arboretum on Sunday!! I'm so excited about the great press that the book is generating. You deserve every bit of it! Apparently you've done a really good job of shedding that west Texas twang, if your interviews are any indicator. Yeah, Rob!
Hope Schuyler is feeling better soon. It's so tough to leave a sick child. Y'all both hang in there!

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

Poor Schuyler. Hope she's better soon ;) Enjoying the book and wishing you good luck on the tour.

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is lovely. I hope she is feeling better soon. When are you coming to Chicago? We even have a few independent bookstores who have managed to buck the chains!

zorra said...

See you in Houston. I am waiting to see whether there will be some sort of anticipatory article in the Houston Comical later this week.

Laura said...

Aww. I really hope Schuyler feels better soon. Being sick is awful.

And here's to a good book tour. I hope everything goes smoothly! Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

My son has the same symptoms and i've just started reading your book. Doctors have no reasoning for his conditions, which mirror the symptons. I gave Schyler's monster to the doctor as they are going to give him an MRI to see if it the same. Schuyler's a very pretty fighter...very inspirational and I would be honored to be by her side.

Anonymous said...

Saw your book way out here in a Borders in Cal-ee-for-ni-a. I let out an "OH!" when I saw it on the New Releases table, as I walked in the door. I already have mine, of course, but almost bought one there on general principle!

Anonymous said...

Bare with me, have never blogged before. My daughter was diagnosed with polymicrogyria and schizencephaly when she was 15 months old. She turns 6 in July. I have just read the end of Part 1 and can painfully relive the moment when my husband and I felt like we were on the edge of a cliff. We took Joanna out of her crib and brought her into bed with us and just cried for her, her future, and for us. I was shocked when I saw this review in People and saw Schuyler's dx. We truly do feel like we are the only parents who have ever heard of this "monster". I hope to find other parents here since so little information is out there.