March 10, 2008

Jumping Monkeys

I've been looking forward to this for a while, because it's a program I've started listening to since I was a guest a few weeks ago, and I've really come to like it. I recorded a guest spot on a podcast called Jumping Monkeys, hosted by Megan Morrone and Leo Laporte, and they are running my program now. Go check it out, it's a lot of fun. It was easily the most fun I've had in an interview. Also, when you're done, check out their very funny interview with blogger Dad Gone Mad.

There's a funny story behind my Jumping Monkeys interview, by the way. When my publicist set this up, we worked out the date and time and I was given a phone number to call. When the time came and I sat down in a quiet office and called, it rang a few times and then suddenly I was hearing voices. It was the hosts, talking about no call lists.

I figured that like many stations, I was on hold and listening to a pre-recorded program instead of hold music. I'd certainly rather listen to Jumping Monkeys than, you know, Chariots of Fire on the pan flute, so I just sat back and listened while I waited for the program producer to pick up.

And that's when I heard it.

"Hey, speaking of calls, I hear Robert on the line!"

Oh, I'm live. I see!

Turns out, I had called directly into the program, and whether it was God or Fate or my Imaginary Friend in the Sky, some powerful force kept me from talking to myself or belching or practicing my F-bombs during that minute or so that I thought I was on hold. Aside from a slightly surprised "why hello there!" tone to my voice, I don't think you can even tell.

I tell you, I'm a cautionary tale just waiting to happen.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, on the main podcast page in the itunes store, the Weekend America graphic has a picture of Schuyler. At least, it did this morning.

MarkB said...

Rob, great show. I love Leo's podcasts, and have been following your stuff since '96 or so, so talk about the perfect podcast!

Linda Ball said...

I never thought I'd listen to a Pod Cast since I don't have a Pod. (This is increasingly an important deficiency apparently because all the cool gadgets seem to connect to an iPod.) Anyway. I did listen. Rob was asked if most of the people who read him and got behind him were parents. He said 'yes' and I was about to be offended when I realized it seemed true enough. And I also realized that Rob was staying close to Schuyler's story while he promoted the book. (Which he mentioned he'd do in these pages I believe.) But it has left me missing his story. How's the job? The diabetes? The commute? Don't you encounter a lot of idiots on a book tour? Do you still play with Bendos? Just kidding. Kinda.

Anonymous said...

I had a good laugh when I read this. Not that I will ever be in that exact situation, but if there's ever an opportunity for me to unintentionally make an ass out of myself, I tend to do so. I'm glad you held back!

Liana said...

Oh man. That little story made me smile.
I think one of the best lines I've ever read or heard is "I'm just a cautionary tale waiting to happen."
Perfect.
And I'm glad that your cautionary tale didn't ACTUALLY happen :)

Christina said...

Too funny. I recently crossed over to the ipod side and was just listening to last week's Jumping Monkeys. They were talking about promoting a book online and I was thinking you would be a great interviewee for that show. How cool that it'll be the next podcast I download. I look forward to listening.

Anonymous said...

I found your story on the CEC feed that I get and I am so glad that I read it. As a teacher who works with students who have special needs I am so inspired and interested in the story behind Schyler's Monster. You have taken your situation and turned it into a positive and teachable moment for the rest of us to learn from. So many people could learn from your situation. Thank you!

Jim Howard said...

I've been a Leo fan about the same amount of time I've been a Slobbering Minion (tm), so it was great to hear you both together.

Pat and I really enjoyed the Austin signing. I started reading the book last night, and went halfway through it in one sittings. That's major for me because I've had some eye issues lately that make reading books somewhat tiring.

To other long term minions, you'll recognize somethings, but there is a lot of new material there, and it all flows nicely.

I thought it interesting that I also went to 3WA on 9/11.

Anonymous said...

Saw your article in WonderTime today. Freaked me out because I've been quietly reading your blog for a looong time (as suggested to me by another friend/reader) and all the sudden there you are in my magazine too. As always, it was an awesome reading experience, and I send so much kudos to you and your family for being so open about your situation. Schuyler has wonderful parents and are as lucky to have you as you are to have her. :)

Rosetta said...

Dear Rob,

Just wanted to tell you that I love your book. I am a mom to a child with a combination of very rare genetic syndromes. She also does not speak and uses an augmentative device. She is now 7 years old and presents with multiple disabilites and special health care needs.

Although we knew of Julia's diagnosis at birth I can relate to all the feelings you talk about in the book. The sadness,brokeness, not feeling like you are good enough, etc....It sseems to run through out the disability community regardless of your childs diagnosis. We put together the pieces of the puzzel every day for our daughter and our selves. All and all I would not trade the journey for anything. She has changed me inside and out for the better.I have grown and changed into a completely stronger person with compassion, love, and a sensative heart. She is our little angel on earth.

You have inspired me to take all my writiings over the years and compile a book. Good Job Rob!!!
Look forward to all the volumes in the future.

Rosetta (Long Island New York)

Megan said...

Hi Rob - We absolutely loved having you on the show. And now I'm going to point guests to your post when I explain to them that when they call they'll be connected right into the show.
Thanks!
Megan

Robert Hudson said...

Megan, I loved the show, that was a lot of fun. And I'll be listening more closely now, just to see if anyone ever says anything when they connect.

"What the? Huh? I don't know, they're talking about something. I wonder if I have time to go pee?"