March 24, 2008

Mockingbird


Mockingbird
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob
A few quick book things to report. First of all, the book trailer I put together last year is being featured on the Barnes & Noble site, thanks to the tenacious work of the very cool Monica Katz at St. Martin's. I'm really happy with the continued support from St. Martin's. Also, while I am as "Fight the Man", pro-independent bookstore as anyone, I'll never say a word against Barnes & Noble, who have gotten behind the book in a big way.

Back in the spring of 2003, Jim Shelton at the New Haven Register in Connecticut did a feature about local bloggers, and was kind enough to write about me then. It was fun at the time, although the story of us changed rather dramatically a few months later when Schuyler was diagnosed with polymicrogyria and our world turned upside down. Last week, Jim called me up and we talked for a bit, and the result is a new story in the New Haven Register. It was a nicely done story, and it felt a little like a homecoming for me. I miss New Haven like mad.

Last night marked the end of Spring Break for Schuyler and me. Julie had to work most of the time, so we didn't go crazy this past week, but instead just sort of enjoyed the time together. We hung out, flew kites, watched a lot of Kim Possible (one of the few shows that Schuyler watches that i can stomach; it is the anti-Hannah Montana for me), and even went to a dog parade. It was a nice week.

After Schuyler went to bed last night, Julie and I watched To Kill a Mockingbird again. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it, or how many times I've read the book, for that matter. They seem like two parts of one whole experience, so perfectly matched as they are, in a way that is rare for books and their film adaptations.

I've loved that book most of my life, ever since the first time I read it back when I was probably about the same age as Jem Finch. And yet, in looking back on the years, it seems strange that I would have ever known that book or the film without associating them with Schuyler. I watch the movie now and I am aware of the relationship between the father and the daughter, the wild and different little girl who is curious about a world that is meaner than she is but which is also full of mysteries to be explored.

I always identified with the kid characters growing up, like just about anyone else who read it when they were young, but now I find myself experiencing the story from the perspective of the father. Atticus tells Scout that you can never truly understand someone until you see the world from their perspective, to climb in their skin and walk around in it for a little while. I think I finally understand.

It's an imperfect parallel, of course. Schuyler is herself equal parts Scout Finch and Boo Radley, and I am no Atticus Finch, although God knows I do try.

16 comments:

kris said...

Like you, I've read the book and seen the movie a zillion times since Mrs. Bambrick first assigned it in 7th grade. I even did my senior AP English paper comparing that book and movie b/c I feel it is one of the few films that truly captures the heart and soul of the book. Mary Badham IS Scout Finch and Gregory Peck IS Atticus Finch.

I've never thought of the Scout/Schuyler parallel, but now that you say it, it seems so obvious. Scout knew who she was...and Atticus embraced it. Sounds an awful lot like a couple of people we all know.

..M.. said...

I seem to be one of very few people in this world who haven't seen that movie!

However I've just added it to my 'to watch' list... Some day soon I will no longer feel so left out ;)

Liana said...

I LOVE the characters from that book! I should read it again, now that you've reminded me (and see the movie again, too!).
Is it weird that I love Boo Radley?

Diane Marie said...

No wonder you were jealous that I had lunch with Harper Lee!

Steph said...

I love that book and movie also. So much that my son's middle name is Atticus, because I can't think of a better role-model.

Susie said...

Thanks for linking to the article in the Register. I enjoyed reading that.

Connecticut misses you, too!

Matt Kent said...

My kids and wife were at the parade yesterday. I was stuck at work..... reading your book. :0
Halfway through in 3 days! Very emotional at the end of part 1. Let's just say I'm glad I was here at work alone.
your nieghbor from Highland Village

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many people will be re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird in the next few days?

Anonymous said...

Off-topic - a link for you:

http://jeffatwood.typepad.com/atwoodzoo/2006/01/true_freedom.html

Technosiren said...

Dude! You knocked Tori Spelling's book on it's ASS!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I was in Hastings book store yesterday and asked if they had a copy. They didn't, but offered to special order it for me. I declined, because I'm broke and they were more expensive than Amazon, but they seemed interested in ordering one anyway.

As to Mockingbird, I too have felt more of a connection with Atticus as I grew older. And I have also felt a strong connection with Boo. I used to imagine the story from his perspective... the toys in the tree, his wanting to be a part of it, and apart from it. And I often think of Atticus's protection of Boo, as much as of his own kids, and think that that's the kind of person I want to be.

Michelle said...

I love To Kill A Mockingbird! Pre-kids, I did a lot of theatre, and had the opportunity to direct To Kill a Mockingbird. The play is really cool, and if you have a chance, read that as well. But it was such a cool experience to watch the kids in the play, as they learned a lot of lessons about acceptance, self-control, and self-confidence. I'm going to have to pull my novel off the shelf, dust it off and give it a read as soon as I finish Schuyler's Monster...which is, by the way, fabulous.

Anonymous said...

How funny that you mention To Kill a Mockingbird now! I was just thinking that it's about time for a re-read, which I do about every other year. One of my favorite books of all time. I haven't seen the movie, though.

Anonymous said...

I really love the book's trailer (and more importantly, the book).

I was wondering if you could tell us where to find the lovely music that acompanies the touching photo slideshow.

I hope in a few years you write another book on your beautiful daughter.

Robert Hudson said...

I was wondering if you could tell us where to find the lovely music that acompanies the touching photo slideshow.

Clair de lune, by Debussy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the song/title information Rob. It is beautiful.