March 1, 2006

Mystery Monster Soap


Sunset
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
First, a little business. If you live in California and recently sent Schuyler some cool Tyrannosaurus soap, please drop me a line so I can thank you properly. I have no idea who sent it.

It's been an interesting two days. After giving my two weeks notice at The Monolith, I came home and celebrated by feeding the ducks with Schuyler and Julie underneath a breathtaking sunset. We all then went out for dinner and celebrated my new job. (Once again, Schuyler ordered her own food.)

I can't tell you how excited I am about this new job. Part of it comes from being about set with The Monolith. It's not a bad job, and I've enjoyed it for the most part, particularly in Austin. But the schedule was becoming increasingly inflexible and was making it hard to do freelance photography work. It also required me to be on my feet for about eight hours a day, which was beginning to become difficult. Tonight was brutal, and as I sit here writing this, my dogs are still barking, as those yokels are fond of saying.

But I'm primarily excited about going to work at an actual career-path gig as a writer and communications guy. (That's what the job description says, "Communications Guy". No, it doesn't really. It would be cool if it did, though. I'd get cards made up.) The person I'll be working for seems like a nice guy who isn't at all interested in micromanaging me, which will be a welcome change. The hours are much better, about half the time I work now with a slight increase in pay, and good benefits. I'll even get to use a Mac.

And I get to sit down. At this precise moment in time, that might actually sound like the sweetest part to me.

4 comments:

tiff said...

Question - does this mean Julie can hang out at home if she wants to? How cool would THAT be (only is she wants to)?
The sitting down = goodness, but only for a limited time. Be careful of numb butt syndrome!

Ariel said...

A warning! With great power (sit down job) comes great responsibility ... and by that I mean a responsibility to exercise ... or else you'll get a great (big) ass.

It's the worst part of writing for a living: the total sedentary lifestyle. Sit all day! Sit all night! Not to say that it's guaranteed that your butt will get bigger, but be sure to add a little more exercise into your life to compensate for the difference between "on your feet" work and "on your ass" work. I say this as someone who didn't, and who's ass paid the price.

Anonymous said...

A job sitting down is definitely all the incentive I needed to leave retail. Better pay was icing on the cake.

Anonymous said...

When they gave you the Beedies talk, did they tell you that you should only ever have your toenails clipped by a podiatrist?

Without revealing too much, I am in a position to tell you that, though that sounds COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS, it is in fact, so true. Seriously. No, really. And if they didn't tell you that, they should have.