March 5, 2006

Beedies for Dummies


Us XVIII
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
Look at that helmet. I had to order it online to get one that wasn't decorated like an MTV ad or shaped like some sort of H.R. Giger creation. I'm all about the simplicity, especially since I'm riding this big Mister Rogers bicycle that doesn't exactly cry out "aerodynamic". Well, and really, neither does my general body shape. No reason my head should slice through the air with ease when the rest of me is putting up such resistance.

I toyed with whether or not my low-impact workout was even going to require a helmet, but if I expect Schuyler to wear one when we're out riding, then I obviously have to set my fatherly example. Also, I still have no idea what will happen to my body when my blood sugar gets weird. I know that when it spikes, my feet hurt, my vision gets blurry, and I get crazy zombie tired, almost to the point of passing out. Well, that's fun. I suppose a helmet is in order. Perhaps I should wear it all the time.

So right this moment, I'm at The Monolith, looking at a magazine called Diabetes Explorer: Type II Essentials. The dietary management section is fun, in that "makes me want to stick something sharp in my jugular" sort of way. Here's a quick list of common high ("bad, will kill you very quickly") and low ("not as bad, but it's still food, so eventually, you're fucked") glycemic foods.

The bad ones are soda, hard candy, white bread, potatoes, bagels, white rice (ah, my sweet sweet rice, I shall miss you so), pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe (which of course I just ate a whole bowl of last night, shortly before leaving my body for a little whimsical flight around the ether), raisins, popcorn.

On the other hand, I can have peanuts, lots of citrus, milk and beans. Ah, the magical fruit. That's good news for me, not so much for the rest of you.

It also talks about how to read nutritional labels. "If dietary fiber is 5 grams or greater then deduct this amount from the total carbohydrate; next, subtract 1/2 of the total amount of sugar alcohol."

Oh crap. The Beedies requires math? I'm going to die for sure.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even beedieless ppl should wear a cycle helmet in case they ever fall off/get knocked off the bike.
Tarmac vs. cranium=not good.
Props to you for setting Schuyler a good example.

Ariel said...

"If dietary fiber is 5 grams or greater then deduct this amount from the total carbohydrate; next, subtract 1/2 of the total amount of sugar alcohol."

In this regard, beedies is very Weight Watcher friendly, since WW also emphasizes fiber as a negater of sugar.

Bev Sykes said...

Whatever you do, do NOT be tempted to get on your bike without a helmet. When I had my accident four years ago, I knew the instant my head hit the concrete that if I hadn't had a helmet on, my life would have been changed forever (if not ended) in that instant. I was one of those who hated wearing a helmet and only did it because everyone insisted, but after my accident, I wouldn't even ride the bike down the driveway without a helmet.

(Besides, you and Schuyler look like the Pastel Gang. Very tough!)

Anonymous said...

Dude. You two look awesome. Seriously. Between the plum hair, the helmet, the black t-shirt, and the missing teeth, Schyuler looks like the Kindergarten Roller Derby world champion. And I mean that as a supreme compliment.

Anonymous said...

Fortunately for you, there's no sugar in practically anything.

Wait till you get to carbohydrate counting. Or do they not do that with type IIs?

Anonymous said...

Rob, I want to commend you on wearing the helmet. I see so many parents riding out with their kids, and the kids have on helmets, kneepads, elbow pads and rubberized samurai fat suits to keep them safe and bouncy when they hit the ground. But the parents wear no protection whatsoever.

My husband works with head injury patients. He's a speech therapist. He's got lots of motorcycle accident victims, and a few bike accident victims to his credit.

Protecting your kid to the nth degree means nothing if you are in a nursing home learning to eat again because you didn't take proper precautions.

Helmets on, folks. Be like Rob! Be like Rob!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've already heard this, but my husband works in the medical field, and used to work for the company that manufactures Glucerna. The meal bars are actually really good. Lots of protein, good taste and you could fool yourself into thinking you're eating choclate, if that's your thing. They make a good, quick breakfast too. Only down side, they can make you a little gassy, but if you're eating a lot of beans, you'll never know the difference.

True said...

Can you eat brown rice? I think it's even yummier than white. But then, that's me, and I'm the weirdo who dips pickles in mustard.