March 9, 2006

Here comes the devil


The Red Stick Ramblers
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
I have a musical confession to make today.

Do you know the old big band chart Sing Sing Sing? It was originally a Louis Prima song, but the version that everyone knows is the Benny Goodman arrangement, with that sexy tom-tom drumming by Gene Krupa that runs through it. You'd know exactly what I'm talking about if you heard it. You hear that drumming in some arrangements of Duke Ellington's Caravan, too.

Well, my confession? That style of drumming makes me crazy happy. If a song has it, chances are excellent that I'll like it. Love it, even.

One good example is the Old 97's song Four Leaf Clover, from their album "Too Far To Care". When the drums start up, I become totally fixated.

The reason I bring this up today is that I've got a new one that I've been listening to, from a jazz/cajun/whatever group down in Louisiana called the Red Stick Ramblers. (I've written about them before.) The song is called The Devil with the Devil, and in addition to those drums I dig so much, it features the catchy lyrics that the Red Stick Ramblers are known for, inasmuch as they are known at all.

So there you are. Red Stick Ramblers. Go get you some.

8 comments:

Steph said...

Just curious: are you going to make it for any of the SXSW shows?

Robert Hudson said...

I'd like to, but it's rough getting in, and hotel rooms are scarce and pricey that weekend. Still, if the opprotunity presents itself, I'll be in my car in a second.

Robert Hudson said...

Very cool, AB! Make them do Main Street Blues, too, just to see if they keep a straight face when they sing "the promoter's got an odor like a day-old floater."

Steph said...

Don't think I'm wierd, but my husband and I just bought a beautiful house here in Austin, so you've always got a place to stay if you want (Julie and Schuyler included, of course). We're very proud that people don't have to sleep on the couch anymore. :)

eliza said...

The RSR played at my friend's wedding a few years ago, and they were fantastic. They did a version of The Way You Look Tonight that was awesome. Although I was a bit drunk and could be remembering that completely wrong. (The song, not the band.)

Wolfy Jack said...

Just wandered into your corner of the universe trying to track down the Ramblers lyrics for Main Street Blues. Caught them up at Lake Eden Arts Fest in NClast weekend. Best writing since Cole Porter stuff, hillarious song, not to mention great dancing, this being at the late night swing dance. Still need to find the lyrics. Nice blog. Catch you again

@hardboiledmen Twitter said...

I used to live in Baton Rouge and saw the Red Stick Ramblers on several occasions, great band, best kept secret in LA besides Abita Amber :)

@hardboiledmen Twitter said...

I used to live in Baton Rouge, saw the Red Stick Ramblers on several occasions, Devil with the devil is a great song. They are the best kept secret in LA, them and Abita Amber