February 12, 2008

Perfect Storm


Storm
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
When I went to bed last night, I was aware of the possibility of thunderstorms moving through the area, but when they arrived in the middle of the night, they announced themselves like something from a 1950's monster movie. If there was any slow buildup, we slept through it, right up until the bright flash and deafening BOOM that awakened us in a chaotic frenzy of vaguely coherent obscenities.

A few seconds later, Schuyler was standing in the doorway.

The comparison to a monster movie is a good one for her, actually. One of the things that Schuyler and I share is a love for those movies and, more generally, the thrill of being scared. (Julie has been successfully vetoing my taking Schuyler to see Cloverfield for weeks now.) When we watch a scary movie, Schuyler will cower behind a blanket and make little whimpery sounds, but if I try to turn it off or change the channel, she gets well and truly pissed off. She has always been a thrill junkie.

Thunderstorms are like scary movies for Schuyler. Even at 3 o'clock in the morning, once she's found her way to our bed, she's as happy as she can be as the lightning flashes and the thunder shakes the windows. She "wow"s at the lightening and the rain hitting the window so hard that it sounds like hail, and she squeals and giggles after the thunder. As sleepy as I am at that hour and as much as I know how zombiesque we'll all be the next morning, I still can't help but stay awake and watch her little face, illuminated by the steady flicker from the storm. I don't need words from her to see how happy she is when the storms rattle our world.

Middle of the night storms are like monster movies that appear out of nowhere, and I love them unconditionally, probably for the same reasons Schuyler does.

16 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

Schuyler's seen Jurassic Park, right? Those sequences are WAY scarier than anything in Cloverfield.

Anonymous said...

It's so sweet that she likes scary stuff. None of mine do. And it's a good thing we have a king size bed because everyone under the age of 12 piles in when it storms. Half the time I end up sleeping on the sofa because there's no room for me!

Liana said...

I LOVE thunderstorms, and I always have- I don't think they ever truly frightened me. Instead I like to watch the lightning and hear the thunder and rain- it's like a free show! And when you're in the company of other storm-lovers, nothing could be better. :)

Robin said...

I spent the summer in Dallas, biggest, scariest thunderstorms of my life (and I am a midwesterner). You're right Schuyler is a thrill junkie.

Looking forward to your book.

bexybeans said...

I live in North Dallas, too, and I completely slept through the storm. Maybe it's because I was sick and passed out on Ny-Quil. Maybe.

Melanie said...

I was up when the storm hit and stayed up for awhile, just in case we had to toss the cats in a laundry basket and head for the hills. Great light show.

As for Cloverfield, I'd like to see it but I already know that I'll be hurling from motion sickness within the first ten minutes. Damn you, faulty inner ear!

stitching aussie style said...

We love thunderstorms, watching the lightening shows and counting until the thunder strikes. So pleased to hear that you all do as well.

Anonymous said...

I envy Schuyler her fearlessness. I got scared watching E.T., for Pete's sake.

Unknown said...

The love for thunderstorms is all Rob and Schuyler. I cringe into the fetal position when a bad storm hits. Tornado season? I am a nervous wreck.

Lonnie said...

I must say. I truly enjoy thunderstorms as well. They always remind me how powerless and helpless we really are in regards to dear old mother nature. There is something a little more eerie about them when you are awoken from REM sleep by them. The monster movie analogy is perfect.

By the way, REALLY hoping you make it to the Detroit area. My wife Melanie, Daniel and myself would really like to meet you.

Best,
Lonnie

PeanutandSweetPea said...

I am from Enid Oklahoma originally. I always love the thunderstorms back there when I get the opportunity to visit at that time of year. I live in WA state now, and very very seldom will we get any thunder or lightening. I miss God's free firework shows!

Earline

JAM said...

I'm with Schuyler -- I love thunderstorms even though I'm convinced the whole time that death is likely imminent. Never been through an actual tornado, though I've been through a hurricane (good ol' Hugo) and some pretty damn spectacular storms. Part of what I love is the inevitability of it all -- it's so huge and powerful and nature-red-in-tooth-and-claw-ish and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it except wait for it to be over; which it will be, eventually, one way or another....

Hasn't the weather been especially volatile this year, or is it just me?

Anonymous said...

FYI, I was at the Barnes and Noble at 360 and Bee Caves Rd (Austin) and they didn't have their copies yet. But the two employees I talked to had both heard about it, already knew that the Arboretum store had it, and said they were looking forward to getting their copies. How's that for cool? Except that I didn't get a copy. Will they have enough copies at your Arboretum event, do you think??

Robert Hudson said...

Will they have enough copies at your Arboretum event, do you think??

I imagine they will. First of all, the Arboretum is like the Mothership for B&N stores in Austin, so they do a lot of events. (I saw Chuck Palahniuk do a reading there that almost caused a little riot; it was GREAT.)

Secondly, I used to be the Music Manager there, so there'll be a sort of Prodigal Son thing going. It should be super cool.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. I have your Arboretum gig on my calendar - my 14 month old daughter and I are going to be there with bells on. I've kept Schuyler in my heart since before my daughter was born, and look forward to a signed copy of the book.

Anonymous said...

Cloverfield is awesome! I hope you get to take her.

Those thunderstorms are the one thing I really do miss about living in Texas.

~Meg in CA