January 1, 2007

Happy New Year


Mother Daughter
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
A funny thing happened over the weekend, the one where I was supposed to finish my book.

I spent it with Julie and Schuyler and my best friend from high school and his family instead. Funny how life steps in and insists on being lived sometimes.

There have been years in the past where at the end I was like, "Oh, fuck THAT." But 2006 was such a crazy mixed bag that I have no idea how to feel, really. I started the year in a crap job at a troubled (and now closed) Monolith store, and I ended it in a very cool job as the public relations guy for a large university's architecture school in which I only occasionally have to pretend I know anything about architecture. (Hint: It's mostly buildings.) I had some relationships sputter to a conclusion and others spark and flicker to life. I began the year with diabetes and ended with a book deal.

I think, in the balance, 2006 turned out pretty well in the end.

Through it all, Schuyler endures and flourishes. Must faster than I am ready to accept, she's growing into a tall, pretty little girl. She gets better and better on the Big Box of Words and is keeping up in her mainstream classes, with neurotypical kids her age. If the first seven years of her life made for an interesting book subject, the next few years look like they might be refreshingly boring to write about. At least until she's a teenager, and then all bets are off. The thought of it makes me want to go finish whatever beer is left in the fridge from last night, assuming we actually left any.

So yeah.

I hope every one of you just kicked off the best year of your life so far. 2007's definitely got a lot of promise going in.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some work to do. See you on the other side.

9 comments:

Steph said...

Happy New Year! I know 2007 is going to be a wonderful year! And I'm not even drunk!

rennratt said...

Thank you for sharing your life with us.

I can't wait until your book is published.

Keri said...

Happy New Year! I love the picture of your girls...they definitely share the same profile. =) Looking forward to new great things happening this year!

Anonymous said...

That's marvellous. I hope the next troubled blog post is because she's staying out too late with her friends and you think she might be chugging secret beers behind the bike sheds. :)

In many years' time, of course. Not that she should become a teenager at eight.

grandefille said...

Can y'all feel the happy bearhugs from all the way over here? I hope so. You deserve 'em all, and more.

Here's to the finest year ever for a fine fambly. Smooches to all y'all.

(P.S. -- Grannyfille says, "That precious baby is growing up entirely too fast and getting too pretty, like her mama. Let's send her daddy some ball bats in advance. Big ones. Hee.")

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

That picture of Schuyler and Julie is wonderful!

jennifergg said...

Ah well, struggling with my own work deadlines/family life balancing issues, myself. For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice.

And if you are reading this, you are not working...so off to work for both of us!

Sara said...

Did Santa bring Schuyler her bling?

Anonymous said...

I love the term, "neurotypical" it sounds so unextraordinary -- so unlike Schuyler who is indeed, extraordinary!