April 15, 2008

Rockabye


Promo Proofs
Originally uploaded by girlsgonechild
One of the things that still catches me off guard is the fact that anyone gives a damn about what I think concerning books. Even now, in this age of consumer-driven content and Amazon reader reviews, the idea that my own credentials as a writer might give my opinion some added weight or validity doesn't naturally occur to me. When Karen Harrington, author of the very excellent Janeology made mention in an email of the review she had received "from a big-time memoirist", it actually took me a few seconds to realize that she was talking about me.

Nevertheless, when a book really does it for me, I try to put something together to express my feelings of gratitude to the author. And it really is gratitude. A good book is no small thing, nor (more to the point) is a bad one. When you watch a movie that you think is going to be good and it turns out to be a stinker, that's a good two hours of your life that you've tossed away. But when it's a book that leads you astray, the hours and even days that you've invested in it that you'll never get back. You'll be on your death bed one day, muttering to yourself, "If only I hadn't spent so much time reading all that fucking L. Ron Hubbard." You learn to cherish the good ones.

When I started reading Rebecca Woolf's Rockabye: From Wild to Child, I'd followed the marketing closely enough to know what I was supposed to be getting. I settled in to read another memoir of a party girl transitioning to parenthood while struggling to remain hip and cool. Which was certainly fine. Never having been actually cool myself, that transition was fairly straightforward for me, so I occasionally like to vicariously gank some cool from others.

By the time I finished Rockabye, I was looking at a different book altogether.

Simply put, this is a book about the tranformational power of a parent's love, the kind of love that can envelope you and warm you, but also consume and burn you. In bringing her son Archer into the world, Woolf begins to discover her own true heart and her own capacity for love and growth. Yes, part of that evolution involves leaving behind some of the party-all-the-time aspects of her youth, but the more important parts of herself, her independence and her insistence on doing things her own way, relying on her instincts, these are the pieces that she clings to.

I want to make something clear. Rebecca Woolf is a fantastic writer. She's open and honest, unblinkingly so at times, and yet her command of language and the near poetry of her wordplay feels like music. It's been a long time since I've gotten lost in language like that, just floating in someone's wordplay.

There are some striking parallels to Woolf's story and mine (or rather, to Archer's and Schuyler's), but I don't want to make too much of them. I would recommend her book to anyone who liked mine, if only because of some of those parallels, but honestly, I'd rather recommend Rockabye for no other reason than I found it to be a viscerally satisfying read. At its best, it feels like a gift, and it's at its best a lot.

I think you'll like this book. I'm pretty sure most of you will. Rebecca Woolf's the writer that I wish I was, and that's the truth.

Thank you for choosing me to mother you. Thank you for sneaking in through my window and saying "Boo! Here I am!" Thank you for stirring and purring and screaming and crying and laughing and talking and standing and jumping. You are my exclamation point in a world of dot-dot-dots. You are my star in a sky muted by city lights. You are my sun. My son. My sun.

Rebecca Woolf, "Rockabye: From Wild to Child"

5 comments:

Jillian said...

I love her blog and thanks to this review it looks like I'll love her book!

Anonymous said...

After seeing the picture of Rebecca I, too, wish you were her during the time we worked together. :)

Hank/Jim

Anonymous said...

Rob I've just finished your book & came to say thanks. There was a lot I wanted to articulate about it, but you've summarised it nicely for me already. "Simply put, this is a book about the tranformational power of a parent's love, the kind of love that can envelope you and warm you, but also consume and burn you."

In short, I loved it. I've been reading your blog since the Book of Rob days and it brought back memories of things you'd talked about back then. I'm proud to have been part of your village and look forward to being part of Schuyler's future too.

Helen

The Writers Blog -- Joanne Nakaya said...

I'll be picking it up as soon as the semester is over. Oh, yeah, semester. I'm a graduate student in Education at UNLV and my presentation this semester in language acquisition is your book. I found reference to your book on MoPie's blog, found your blog, found the book and convinced my group to do it as a presentation project, tomorrow.

Why am I going on about this? I don't know except that I can relate and relating how we relate (ouch) is a human quality. Thanks for writing the book, thanks for sharing Schuyler with me, thanks for you being you, Julie being Julie and Schuyler being Schuyler.

It's an 'in the bag' A!

Joanne

GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

Thank you for this, Robert.