January 7, 2008

Twitch

I'm jumpy today, and it's just not getting any better.

The day started with Schuyler's return to school after two weeks off. This meant that all our usual morning rituals kicked back into gear, including my favorite, singing the theme to Kenny the Shark with Schuyler, but it also meant watching her get onto the school bus again and watching it drive away while trying to suppress the agita and the mental images of various bus-related disasters running through my mind.

A quick look in the mirror before heading off to work revealed that I had something in my hair, something light-colored, maybe shaving cream. Only it wasn't. I tugged at it and ran my fingers through it, only to discover that what I was seeing was in fact grey hair. That's AWESOME.

I got to work just in time to be interviewed over the phone for the upcoming Wondertime piece (and I do not envy the poor intern whose job it will be to transcribe my um-filled babble). Not half an hour later, I received the nice review from Publishers Weekly (it did contain the word "stupid", but they were quoting me, so I have no one to blame but myself), and I was feeling much better about my day.

And that's when the university began testing the tornado warning system.

There really is only so much "BLAT!!! BLAT!!! Severe weather! Take cover! You're all going to die!!! BLAT!!! BLAT!!!" that I can handle today. It's going to give me grey hair.

Oh, wait a minute. Shit.

11 comments:

jas said...

Uhm, hello...photo please. I've been sporting gray in my hair and beard longer than I've been reading your blog, and I'm three years your junior.

Also, heartfelt thanks for all of your writings about the beedies. My wife was just diagnosed on Friday with Type 2 and having your journal to fall back on was a lifesaver for us over the weekend, as we waited quietly for her to spontaneously combust.

meanderings said...

Just think how academic and distinguished you will appear with just "that touch of gray."

Anonymous said...

I'm eight years your junior and recently began to find silver hairs. I wish I could say that it's too weird, but my kids started going gray before I did.

Long story, weird genetics. Again, no big.

britmummybites said...

Humm hair turnning grey?....Got that t-shirt..although it's now used as a dishcloth. Not surprising when i started to wear it when i was 14.

Kate Schmidt said...

People with gray hair are COOL. I'm just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Just have to stop in and say I'm so excited for the book and all the associated hoopla. I can't wait to come here and read all about how you feel and what happened on the Big Day. Will you celebrate February 18 as an anniversary or holiday of sorts from now on? I would.

Kinzie said...

oh STOP. I'm 31 and have plenty of gray hair already.

Anonymous said...

I was in Algebra 2, sophomore year in high school, the kid behind me would pluck my grey hairs out during class... Guess that made me 15 when it started. Now, I have a color formula on file at the hairdresser's. And my husband has NO grey hair at all at 42!

Robert Hudson said...

(Comment deleted, because the last thing I want is to have to scrape The Joff off my shoe again...)

Crys said...

oh yah, gray hair. i will never not ever get those. you heard it here first.

Nightfall said...

Jumping on the "going grey" bandwagon here -- but I'm actually pleased about it, because maybe people will stop assuming I'm still wet behind the ears...