July 15, 2007

Rubber swords

This post is specifically intended for the people whom I have in the past referred to as "shepherds of the broken", the parents of special needs children, most of whom are quiet heroes.

Sometimes, when you are the parent of a child with a disability, there are times that you have to stand up and fight a system that shamelessly puts its own self-interests ahead of the very real interests of your kid.

It probably doesn't hurt if you and your spouse are lawyers.

Judges: School Held Autistic Student 'Hostage'

(Naperville Sun) NAPERVILLE Two judges have said Naperville School District 203 held an autistic student "hostage" to "blackmail" his parents into agreeing to its plans for his education.

Killian Hynes, a nonverbal, autistic 6-year-old Naperville boy, communicates using a device known as a Tango. It's as important to Killian as a wheelchair to a child with a physical disability, said his father, Kevin Hynes, 43.

That's why the Hyneses took legal action when Naperville School District 203 withheld Killian's communication device.

"I know my rights, and I know my son's rights," said Kevin, a lawyer, as is his wife, Beth, 44.

(Read more...)


(Thanks, Dorothy, for bringing this story to my attention, and Erin for the link.)

Schuyler's current situation is so good that it's easy to forget how bad it was before we moved to Plano, or how firmly a school system can dig in its heels when it is convinced that it has an interest that it needs to protect from another resource-gobbling special needs family.

If you are the parent of a broken child, you may have had your doubts as to how seriously your kid's school district takes you. There's no telling how seriously they take you as a parent or as a knowledgeable advocate for your kid, but don't ever forget that as a threat to their autonomy and their allocation of their precious resources, they take you very seriously indeed.

I googled the lawyer for the school district in the Naperville case and found her listing with a law firm which appears to specialize in representing educational institutions and local governments. (Her name isn't exactly a secret, and I'm hardly saying anything here that would get me in trouble, but I think I'll give her a fake name just the same. She's no different from countless others doing the same kind of work.) Her listing makes it pretty clear what she does for a living, and what her work might mean for a great many special needs parents.

Gretchen McLawyerson focuses on special education and students' rights law. She counsels and represents public school districts at IEP meetings, due process hearings, mediation, and student expulsion and residency hearings. Gretchen has defended district decisions regarding evaluations, services and placement of special education students in due process hearings. She has successfully removed dangerous students from the regular education environment and also prevailed in hearings to defend against a parent's unilateral private placement of a student. She has assisted clients in building residency and discipline cases involving students and has successfully defended districts' decisions in state and federal courts. Gretchen's litigation experience also includes proceedings before federal and state agencies including the Department of Education, the State Board of Education, and the Office for Civil Rights.

To be fair, a list of her recent presentations suggests that a great deal of her work involves teaching schools how to provide adequate resources for its students (while avoiding liability issues, of course). I'm sure Gretchen McLawyerson sleeps pretty well at night and believes that the work she does is in the best interests of her clients and their ability to provide services to as many students as possible, and she's probably right about that at least some of the time.

But when she gave a presentation titled "Taking Charge of the IEP Process", it doesn't take much imagination to form an opinion about who it is that she is empowering, or who it is that she believes the IEP needs to be taken charge from. Gretchen McLawyerson focuses on students' rights law, but given her clients and their interests, do you think her expertise in this area primarily rests in knowing exactly where those students' rights begin or end?

And she's just one lawyer, just one random example taken from one news story about one case that happened to catch the eye of one reader of my one little blog about one broken child amongst millions.

When I write in my book about "fighting monsters with rubber swords", it's not always Schuyler's polymicrogyria that is the monster. Shepherds of the broken protect our flocks from a variety of wolves.

14 comments:

Niksmom said...

Oh GOd, Rob, that makes me ill. We have a non-IEP IEP meeting for Nik tomorrow to discuss placement and additional supports. We already know the school district is going to make it really tough and try to claim "medical" need vs. "educational" as the rationale for not providing some very necessary things.

I hope the Gretchen McLawyersons of the world learn first-hand what it is like for families and decide to start helping US take control of the IEP process.

BTW, can't wait to read your book. I've been a long-time lurker. :-)

Special Needs Mama Prof said...

I'm shocked. Have these people no shame? In truth, the Tango (if purchased by the school district) did belong to the district, and not the child, but who else was going to be using it, for darn tootin? I've seen the device (we ordered it for my son) and it's not like it's an ibook. Geez louise.

britmummybites said...

Story's like this is really common in the UK.
I have got one friend who's daughter is 2 years older then mine (same school) is due to transfer school's in September and they haven't got a special school. The LEA are refusing to consider the parent's choice which is ideal for her daughter. (Same school i have in mind for my eldest). These parents have spent thousands of pounds on private educational pyschologist reports, psycharist reports, speech therapist reports, private assessment at the school of their choice. They have got a barrister and solicitor. The special needs trubunial is in September. If my friend fails then it means that my family will have to move to stand a better chance in giving my daughter the education that so richly deserves. It is basically postcode lottery over here.

Kirsty Worth said...

"She has successfully removed dangerous students from the regular education environment "
As a trainee special ed teacher and ex classroom assistant at an emotional/bahvioural difficulty school that phrase makes my skin crawl. No doubt Gretchen McLawyerson doesnt want paying for such good deeds either right? she does is out of the good of her heart.
Do you ever wonder if they would act the same if the slipper was on the other foot? How would the district officials act if someone took away something their kid needed - it may not keep him alive physically, but mentally, it could, but of course, if the disability isnt visable then it doesnt exist in most places....it sucks!
Britmommy, best of luck to you and your friend...the LEA catchment area thing is the stupidest thing ever

Jeanine said...

The Naperville story is infuriating, and represents stupid, cruel, shameless bureaucratic school bullshit as its absolute worst.

That being said, one of my dearest friends is a "Gretchen" type. She is PhD in child psychology and works for a school district in MA, and occasionally has to testify on the district's behalf when dissatisfied parents take the schools to court. She is extremely well-educated, well-trained, and compassionate beyond words. But sometimes she is in a position of testifying against parents who want a particular course of action from the school district.

I don't know any specifics about cases she has been involved in, but I felt like speaking up here to say that not everyone who represents the school district is an evil wolf. Sometimes smart, compassionate people are in the difficult position of saying "no" for a variety of reasons.

That doesn't make it easier to hear though. And as a parent myself, my loyalty will always and forever be 100% with my children. I'll fight like Tom Sizemore on a bender to get what I feel is best from them.

My hat is off to all of you parents fighting the special needs battles.

p.s. Slightly better (?) news here in Austin. Don't know how this will turn out, but it sounds interesting.
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/07/15/0715disabled.html

kristina said...

I'm not surprised at all. A good pen is pretty might too when it comes to sticking up for our kids.

emjaybee said...

Makes me so glad you have your daughter's device purchased outright.

Robert Hudson said...

That's exactly what we were thinking, too.

Anonymous said...

Rob,
I have been lurking since I corresponded with you back in Plano. Sad to say this sort of problem pops up all over the country and all of the time. My favorite place to send parents who are fighting with schools is the Wrigths Law. Peter Wright has a disability himself...and he and his wife are strong advocates; and he has won 2 cases before the Supremes. He has several easy to read books on IDEIA-04 that parents find extremely useful. He also gives workshops; I attende one just to be sure that he was giving good information and found his presentation style very down to earth and as well as right on spot. Honestly I do not work for him --- just want parents to be the best advocates they can be for their kids.

I agree with Kristi Worth --- about the skin crawling thing; so now we have a dangerous kid on the street with no hope and no help!

Can't wait to read the book; may assign in one of my graduate classes -- for teachers and future administrators.

Amy said...

Hi. I just found your blog through special needs mama. Mind if I link? Thanks for posting about Napersville school district. I am appalled but not surprised. Oh, how I dread the IEP meetings. I took on BC/BS last summer and won. But facing the public school system...that scares me.

I can't wait to read your book.

Amy
http://emmajoseph.blogspot.com

Linda Ball said...

Imagine if Schuyler had been born when I was born or even you, Rob? There wouldn't be a court case. IEP? Ha. The devices wouldn't exist. But in any case, no one would compel the free public schools to buy them. I guess I do pity the schools and their limited resources and the underpaid staff, too. If any parent and child could have anything they wanted, there might not be anything left for others. Of course, withholding the device or anything else from the child to coerce the parent is just wrong. And I'm also glad to have pitched in my few bucks for the BBoW to give your family some small independence from the schools. Your readers, having willingly consumed many words on Schuyler's struggle really could make a pretty competent decision that it was well worth a try. Maybe we aren't professionals but we studied the case pretty thoroughly. More than some of the supposed professionals you encountered.

Trixie said...

WOW! This was a truly eye-opening post. Although...it shouldn't be. I was a middle school teacher once upon a time. I know how the system works. *sigh* Teachers can be full of good ideas that administrators dismiss. BTDT.
Can't wait to get the book! I love personal memoirs and this will be a wonderful addition to my collection of meaningful stories.

Unknown said...

Hi there. I found you and your blog and your beautiful daughter because a friend of mine had one of your photos marked as a favorite. So I found you in a roundabout way but I am glad I did.

I have a special needs son and I am currently in the middle of a battle with the school district about proper placement for him. I think those of us who have gone through this crap on top of everything else we have to deal with, having a special needs child, are all part of a sort of a secret society that we don't want to be members of.

So anyway I just wanted to drop you a line. I'll be a regular reader and probably commenter from now on and can't wait to read your book, too. :)

C said...

Holy cr@p.

At the risk of sounding like a knee-jerking parent--this kind of stuff is a huge part of why I homeschool my four oldest kids. Their special needs run in the opposite direction of my youngest (PMG), but would bring just the same type of head banging fun. My littlest guy, Quinn, is only 18 months old, so it's hard to know what role the local school folk will play with him. So far, I've only had to deal with the DDD, SSI, OT/PT/ST/early intervention SpEd people and all that brings it's own brand of screeching delight. Mostly, all Quinn's people are fantastic. The ones that aren't make life needlessly difficult.

Thanks for the link. It's good to be aware of the realities we're pointed toward.