July 6, 2007

It's good to be the king.

When I posted excerpts from the Declaration of Independence the other day, I left out the middle part, the whole "here's what the king did to piss us off" section. In doing so, I left out the two best lines:

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness of his invasions on the rights of the people.

and...

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

I know. I really need to grow up. Don't think I'm not aware of that.

--

"Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes."
-- Dazed & Confused (1993)

7 comments:

Julie Pippert said...

That quote is classic.

You know, when you read the justification for the declaration, it almost seems like it could be any time (like now) about any George.

And now? Wisely ending.

Congrats on the book and loads of GL!

Robert Hudson said...

Thanks, Julie!

Major Bedhead said...

I LOVE that movie.

Your quotes are perfect.

Lonnie said...

hi rob....i'm daniel spranger's father. we still get a tremendous amount of traffic from your site. i appreciate the post you did a while back about daniel. it meant a great deal. thanks again. we enjoy reading your blog and seeing how schuyler and the family are doing. looking forward to the book.

by the way...had to know...is the title of this post from 'history of the world'? hilarious.

best,
lonnie

Robert Hudson said...

by the way...had to know...is the title of this post from 'history of the world'? hilarious.

I was hoping someone would catch that.

Anonymous said...

Donna said:
from another movie, I think "lost boys", "never grow up, and never grow old".

Amie said...

Oh, man. That quote from Dazed and Confused is one of my favorite quotes, EVER. :)

And as a side note: I am a long time reader of this blog and every single entry you make/have made about Schuyler inspires me to be a better person. It really, really, really does. I can't WAIT to read the book.