July 26, 2007

I'll be wearing my fancy brown pants.


"Daddy writes book."
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
I received an email this afternoon from the attorney retained by my publisher to do a legal reading of my book. (In true fancy pants form, his office is located on the 30-somethingth floor of an address on Madison Avenue.) He wants to talk to me about the book on Monday.

Because I am completely uncool and maybe even a little bit imbecilic, I immediately wrote to Martha Kimes, author of IVY BRIEFS: True Tales of a Neurotic Law Student and asked if this was something to be worried about. For the last few months, she's been answering all my little new author questions without asking me how I ever managed to summon the mental acuity to write a book at all, much less get one published. For that big box of patience, I would consider Martha now to be both a friend and a candidate for canonization.

Martha calmed me down, telling me that this was perfectly normal, particularly for a memoir. Still, I suspect most people enjoy getting emails from attorneys like they enjoy having a cop pull up beside them at a long red light. When they are high. And perhaps not wearing pants.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'm sure I won't be spending the weekend stressing out about this. Well, not sober, anyway.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martha rocks. And she's so pretty too. (Hi Martha).

Anonymous said...

Never fear, Rob. Attorneys are people too.

Don't feel like you're being called into the principal's office- you've already cleared up your copyright issues, etc. so unless you've clearly plagiarized something, you should be fine.

If nothing else, it's good form for the attorney to ask you a few questions, get clarifications, and let you know the legal read was done. You should also be copied on any letters the attorney sends to St. Martin's- likely there will be a couple documenting the work they did, identifying any problems, and giving St. Martin's the legal thumb's up. :)

Anonymous said...

I like how your daughter has a picture of Shakespeare on her BBOW. Is she comparing your writing with his? We can call you the Bard now.

Linda Ball said...

I was more interested in what Schuyler was writing than your legal 'read.' Just kidding, but you didn't say anything about that picture.

I doubt we should worry about plagiarism in the case of Rob. He's unique. Now, libel. Against school systems? Or that ex-employer in Austin with the name of a fruit? I'm just saying.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of "sober" - whatever happened to your own "monster," the diabetes?

Robert Hudson said...

Still got it, still sucks.

Anonymous said...

It never crossed my mind that Rob would be liable for libel (ha!)... but Linda Ball, you do make a fair point.

One of the best reasons to have an attorney on the front end is so you don't take it in the rear end when you publish... and SMP didn't get where they are without good representation. Sounds like this is pro forma for their publications, and sound business practice.

Rob, it seems you are in good hands- thus far you've given the impression that your editor and agent have apparently been helpful...yes?

Niksmom said...

Good Luck...just don't go in hungover!

Lonnie said...

...or drunk for that matter...well, actually, it is said that drinking enhances your personality. in my case, being a more enhanced jerk doesn't really help too often. seriously though, good luck monday. until then...cheers!

Kate Schmidt said...

Here, I'm having a cocktail for you to, er, soothe your nerves. I'm having it with an attorney, even.

And the picture of Shakespeare *rocks*. If only the BBOW had a picture of Marlowe...