April 8, 2007

Coffee Talk


Holding court
Originally uploaded by Citizen Rob.
Sometimes we do things for Schuyler that help her along in the world. We make decisions and sacrifices that turn out to be the right ones and which propel her down smooth, bright roads.

Sometimes she does it herself. Most of the time, she pushes herself down those roads.

The other day, we took Schuyler to a local mall so she could run around and play without being subjected to (or subjecting us to) fried "foods", cheap Happy Meal toys or demented clowns. At this particular semi-fancy mall, there is a huge play area that Schuyler loves. It is one of those new trendy playgrounds made of squishy giant forms that the kids can climb around on and fall off of without incurring litigation.

In the case of this particular play area, the theme was "giant breakfast". A twenty-foot plate held a steak the size of a queen-sized mattress and two wagon wheel-sized eggs. A slice of grapefruit was topped by a cherry the size of a basketball. It is a very very cool playground.

Schuyler was having her usual great time on the Big Breakfast; I think it's probably her favorite place to play, with the possible exception of the previously mentioned and oft-requested Clown House. As she tends to do, it wasn't long before she'd made some friends. In this case, it was two sisters who wanted to run around the giant plate, alternately chasing and being chased by Schuyler, and their brother, who kept us as best as he could despite a cast on one leg.

After exhausting themselves, the four of them climbed into the giant, jacuzzi-sized cup of coffee and began the whole "So who are you and what's your scene?" discussion. Before it got very far, Schuyler ran over to us and grabbed her Big Box of Words.

What happened next stopped us in our tracks. And by us, I don't mean just Julie and I, but rather every parent in the area. We all sat, silently mesmerized, as Schuyler began demonstrating her device and asking questions of all the kids present. The four turned to six, and then eight little kids crowded around the giant cup, fascinated by this hard-playing, hard-laughing little girl with the robot voice. All the adults watched in wonder as a crowd formed around one little girl. I think they worried about the Revolution of the Small beginning at that moment.

At the center of it all was Schuyler. She asked everyone their names and how old they were, and she answered their questions as best as she could. She led a cyborgian rendition of "Old Macdonald Had a Farm". And when one little girl repeatedly tried to reach over and take the BBoW, Schuyler told her "No." and sternly pointed at the ground outside the cup until the little girl glumly climbed out and skulked away.

Banished by the Cyborg Princess. It's a harsh world in Schuyler's Coffee Cup.

For a full twenty minutes, Schuyler held court, and kids came and went from her audience, aside from the siblings she'd befriended, who never left or took their eyes of off of her. It was only after the kids' mother came up nervously and started checking them out that I approached them. I could see at a glance, as is often the case, that while the kids were all fascinated by and even envious of Schuyler and the BBoW, their mom was a little freaked out.

That's how it usually happens. Almost every time, actually. If someone gets spooked by Schuyler or her monster, it's almost always another adult, as if their kid might catch whatever she has. Kids her age tend to absorb what's different, make their quick adjustments in order to facilitate play, and them go on. Can't talk? Well then, let's run around and howl instead.

When I came over to check on her, Schuyler looked up at me and smiled. I could tell she was as happy at that moment as she's ever been. Then she turned to her new friends, lifted the BBoW over her head without looking at me until I dutifully took it from her, and then she leapt out of the cup and ran away, off to conquer the giant bacon.

Her new gang of transfixed friends followed close on her heels. They didn't leave her side until their skittish mother finally took them home, and their eyes followed Schuyler until they were out of sight.

She was already making a new friend by then.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't some people just odd? If my child was sitting calmly (at a mall playground of all places) and treating someone and something new and different with respect and awe I would be sitting on the sidelines beaming with pride! I might be a little worried that he would take the BBOW and hit someone with it.......but other than that.

Anonymous said...

Best Easter present, that story.

Christine G. said...

"Banished by the Cyborg Princess. It's a harsh world in Schuyler's Coffee Cup."

Best. Line. EVAH!

I am constantly freaked out by parents who are that weirded out by kids who are not neurotypical, like you said ... as if their kids could "catch" something from Schuyler.

I'm proud of her, being the little rockstar that she is. This is a great story Rob.

for all the ups and downs we feel along with you guys, this is a good up.

kintheatl said...

Reading this is happiness.

Kinzie said...

what a cool kid you have, Rob.

Mrs. Mancuso said...

Schuyler RULES THE BREAKFAST! Hope the rest of your Easter was happy.

Anonymous said...

*weep*

Too awesome for words. And yet you found them, and shared. Thank you.

Go, Schuyler!

Iselyahna said...

I think we all want to grow up and be like Schuyler.

Nicole said...

You don't think that maybe the mom was worried that one of her kids might accidentally hurt Schuyler or break her box? When you notice that one of the other kids on the playground has got something going on and your big rowdy kid is playing with them, you don't want to interrupt them but you still feel responsible if something happens. What are you supposed to do? Unless the other kid's parent comes and tells you what is OK and what is not, you are just hoping that everything is cool. I think most parents could care less who their child is playing with so long as they are playing together nicely. Its just a lot harder to tell from over on the park bench if the other kid is not neurotypical.

Anonymous said...

I just keep coming back to this entry to look at the picture.What you wrote was great, but that picture says it all. Had I been there that day, I would have been sitting in the circle with those kids getting the lowdown on the box too.
-Heather

kris said...

You paint a fantastic picture, Rob. And that photo really is worth 1000 words. Schuyler is amazing.

Pegkitty said...

Fantastic!!

And I totally want a t-shirt that says "It's a harsh world in Schuyler's Coffee Cup."

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the giant food place. Best mall playground around. Ooh and the least snotty Apple store is at that mall.

Anonymous said...

My name is Megan and I am a speech-language pathology graduate student. I'm in the middle of finishing up a presentation on AAC that I will be giving tomorrow at my hospital placement. I received the link to this entry from someone on ACOLUG. What a wonderful story and so relevant to what I will be discussing. Thank you for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

All the adults watched in wonder as a crowd formed around one little girl. I think they worried about the Revolution of the Small beginning at that moment.

I can absolutely see Schuyler hacking her BBoW in such a way that she can turn it into a Palm Pilot to organize a flash mob or something similar someday.

Julie Pippert said...

Damn you Rob!

Damn you!

I just finished promising myself today would be a No Crying Day. No Choking Up.

You ruined it.

I am all totally throatlumpy here now.

Your Schyler. Wow. That amazing awesome little person.

I'm thinking of the post most current (today's) and wondering...was the mom really freaking out?

I'd be the mom skulking my way over. I might look err skulky. But I'd not mean to look freaky.

See...I'd be attracted to the charismatic little girl with an interesting thing. I'd wish I could be one of the little kids sitting there, chatting with her in her teacup.

But I'd know somewhere she had a loving parent who might wonder what that freaky lady was up to, chatting up a stranger's kid and so forth. So I usually seem a little awkward, trying to reach out but step back beyond necessary boundaries. KWIM?

However. I am QUITE sure you know what you saw. And I am all too familiar with the Freaked Out Adult like something is Catchy. There are sadly plenty.

This was great. Glad she had fun.

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the giant food place. Best mall playground around. Ooh and the least snotty Apple store is at that mall. And the good paper store and the good pen store too.

Love the pic. It's a winner winner chicken dinner.

Anonymous said...

Damn, man, you need to stop making me cry.

And this is somewhat off-topic, but this song always reminds me of Schuyler a little bit. (If you ignore the gayness, anyway. It is from a musical.)

Dawn said...

Thats great! Exhale .. love it! :)

Haddayr said...

Naomi Kritzer suggested I read this post. Good one!

My son has, among other things, Tourette's, and I just discovered the same thing: kids seem actually _attracted_ to him when his tics are particularly numerous. I wonder how long this sort of thing will last?

Unknown said...

I just came across your blog today via ElectricBoogaloo, and I have to say, your daughter sounds like a fantastic kid. I agree, it's amazing how well kids assimilate difference. It's usually fascinating to them, not repulsive, until they are taught differently by the adults around them.