April 20, 2007

Another Inconvenient Truth

Before the fluttering of TV-ready flags and the patriotic, outraged sputtering gets too loud for anyone to think clearly, let's hear it once straight up.

"I believe myself that the secretary of state, secretary of defense and -- you have to make your own decisions as to what the president knows -- (know) this war is lost and the surge is not accomplishing anything as indicated by the extreme violence in Iraq yesterday."

-- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, April 19, 2007


The thumping has already begun, the wailing of "They don't support the troooooops!", and if past experience is any indication, the Democrats will soon be issuing "clarifications" about what the senator really meant and trying to water down what was actually a much-needed stiff drink.

So before Senator Reid ascends the wobbly tower of public relations Jell-o, let me throw in my own opinion.

He's right. The war is lost.

It was lost long ago. Maybe from the very first day.

It wasn't lost by the troops. It was lost very much in spite of the troops.

It was lost by old men in Washington, D.C.


If they can resist the indignant cries from that small but loud percentage of the extreme right who would unconditionally support the president even if he shot up a college campus or ate a puppy on television, the Democrats might just turn back into a party with some measure of leadership.

They just need to know one thing most of all. Here's that thing, the one they might not completely know because no one on either side of the aisle seems to be able to hear the voice of the People (with a big P) very clearly,

We already know the war is lost.

We may be stupid, easily distracted, American Idol-watching children, but we know the war is lost. Speak what's true, and we'll listen, we'll listen because we already know it, even if we're not all ready to say it. We need leaders to say it and to actually lead us out of the dark.

I've had my heart broken in the past by Democrats who stood up and spoke hard truths, only to weasel and wiggle back across the line when the heat got turned up. But even knowing how it usually turns out, I do still so love that brief moment when the party of my idealistic youth stands up like an aging bull ready to take one last futile stab at the matador, forgetting for just that moment of clarity to fear the butcher's block and the Hamburger Helper yet to come.

Support the troops with more than a ribbon magnet on your SUV. Get our people out of there.

16 comments:

kris said...

Rob, I wholeheartedly agree.

But, it's our boys and girls...men and women.

Sorry, I don't usually get all feminista, but there you go.

Other than that, I share your hopes and crossed crossables that the Dems find their spine.

Tammy said...

Support the troops with more than a ribbon magnet on your SUV. Get our boys out of there.

Amen. As the wife of former soilder who did his time in the sandbox. I agree 100%.

Robert Hudson said...

But, it's our boys and girls...men and women.

Good point, I changed it.

All those years of researching World War I for my once-and-future novel have influenced my language, I think.

kris said...

No worries, Rob. Thanks.

Like I said, I couldn't agree more with your sentiment. Support the troops = support the war? That's ludicrous.

Ottoette said...

Rob, thank you for saying this so clearly and concisely.

How do you know I'm not Liddy Wales? said...

I don't think it's lost, exactly, because that would mean the other guys won it, and this never struck me much as a situation that could truly be won by anyone.

How do you know I'm not Liddy Wales? said...

FWIW, "our people" over there aren't just military personnel. There are tens of thousands of "security contractors" (in other words, mercenaries) who aren't usually included in the official numbers, since they're civilians.

Unknown said...

I hope you sent that to him. He could probably use the support.

MK said...

Ditto to Tammy (replace "former" with "current") and to Ottoette.

On supporting the troops. I understand the state of bitter, dejected malaise afflicting so many thinking people - I'm struggling with it right now. But the next time I hear a fellow citizen say that they have given up on voting, or listening to the news, or talking to people with opposing views, I think I'll kick them in the shins. Or cry. I feel like my little family (like so many others) is asea in some kind of horrible, monotonous nightmare, and everyone is standing around, holding lifelines at the ready, but not even tossing them out for fear they'll fall short.

True said...

A-freaking-men.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe the war is lost and it disgusts me that the democrat majority leader would make that statement while our men and women are fighting terrorists on our behalf. All Harry Reid accomplished today is to put a smile on the face of OBL. Doesn't anyone remember 9/11? I guess I just hope my family doesn't have to die in a terrorist attack because Americans have lost their will to fight to defend our fellow citizens. And for the record my husband was a marine and my cousin will be leaving for Iraq in one month.

Robert Hudson said...

I can't believe it took eleven comments and the better part of a day for someone to trot out the circa 2004 party line about 9/11. Is there areally anyone left who thinks there was a connection between bin Laden and Saddam? Does the Bush administration even think that anymore?

I hope Kim is a trollbot, scanning the blogosphere for key phrases so that she/it can automatically generate a party response. God, I like that idea more than the thought that someone still believes that line and still thinks that our soldiers are dying to protect America from the devil.

We're not fighting terrorists, Kimbot. We're making them now. Our soldiers aren't dying to protect us from evildoers. They're dying so that insurgents can learn how to make better roadside explosives.

Annie D said...

ugg. I can't stand politicians trying to speak for "the troops" ... let me tell you, my husband is in the army.. and we live in an army community (of course) And I know a lot a lot a lot of soldiers. I don't know any who don't want the heck out of Iraq. Trust me, we know the war is lost, we don't want to be there. I don't want to have to send my husband off again. No one does. Everyone here is happy that they are trying to put a timeline for pulling out.

Nightfall said...

***APPLESAUCE***

Nightfall said...

Amy, I think it's possible for the war to be lost without anyone winning. I dare say that's what's happening here.

Nicole said...

::clap clap::

So glad someone gets it.

From a friendly neighbour, north of the 49th

And don't even get me started on the myopia of the current administration's international politics.

Quite honestly, I am continually surprised about speeches that talk about "winning" the war in Iraq/on terror. Nobody really wins when you put in the loss of life and dignity.