February 12, 2007

The Twitchy Time

I drew a bee, upon Schuyler's instructions. I believe that it is a very fine bee, and I don't particularly feel like putting my own face in front of a camera any time soon, so here you go. My mad skillz on display.

It is the twitchy time for me right now, which everyone told me would happen in the interim between turning in my manuscript and getting it back for edits and rewrites. I've also been told to enjoy the feeling that my book is actually, you know, mine, because soon I'll be fighting to hold onto some tiny measure of control over everything from the final content to the cover art to how it's described in the catalogue. I'm not too worried, if only because 1) I've heard good things about St. Martin's Press and how they treat their authors, and 2) there's not much I can do about it now anyway. Everything will happen in its own time and its own way.

Which is to say that yes, I am a big box of worry.

I may have some trips coming up to distract me from my empty mailbox. It looks like I am probably going to be going to Los Angeles next month for a few days, not for anything book-related but to do some photography work (and general entourage duty) for a friend who's got a big event going on, complete with real live celebrities, by golly. I'm looking forward to it; I've never been to California before, and it'll be a nice change, from self-promoting author to friend-promoting paparazzi. I am going to spend the next three weeks engaged in a strict regimen of deyokelization.

I may also be going to Austin this weekend to hang with some old friends from my former life at the bookstore, too. Nothing fancy about that one, though. Just a wacky themed party ("junior high talent show!") and an opportunity to be either embarrassing or amusing.

Or both, really. I have some ideas.

So yeah. Twitchy. Twitch twitch twitch twitch.

13 comments:

Sonja Streuber, PMP(R), SSBB said...

Have fun in LA, Rob. Make sure to pick up Britney's underpants wherever you find them--just incase you need a bigger, better camera, you can still eBay them off.

Anonymous said...

Okay, since you are bored and all, could you PLEASE send a fellow CBPS'er parent some TIPS!!! I mean, I am needing some help with the whole inclusion thing.

The bee is good, better than anything I could do.

Now, pretty please, send some advice my way.

Krista

Chrissie in Belgium said...

Yeah, enjoy owning the book while you can! I like your bee!

Anonymous said...

You are SO going to love California--I came back to LA after being gone for 25 years. Just think of it as a massive Austin!! Give a shout if you need transportation or directions, etc while here!!
The Bee is so cool. Really.

Kinzie said...

I'm eager to hear your celebrity gossip, but I may be even more eager to hear about the theme party. Will you be playing the trombone?

And I assume you'll be offering signed copies of the book to your dear loyal readers...

Pegkitty said...

Soon enough you'll be bitching about how SORE your HAND is from all that book signing.

Hee. Sore hand. My mind went to a naughty place.

Oops, I mean, uh...enjoy your travels Rob!

Debbie Ridpath Ohi said...

Good luck with the twitch-waiting.

And your bee is ADORABLE.

Debbie

Jen B said...

Your bee is beautiful....i love the purple sneakers!!hang in there with your twitchy time....and have a great time in la...i was there last month for the first time and loved it....but as someone special to me said, i am a sucker for anywhere with an ocean...safe travels

Tad said...

Hey Rob,

You're more of an artist than you know. Your purple/yellow be is complimentary ;)

I like it!

Tad

Nightfall said...

emjaybee:

Because it's a punkass bee, of course. Probably a family member.

Rob, thanks for your help! ;-) That was frustrating.

:) said...

What's going on with your big butterfly trip?

Robert Hudson said...

Real life and a toxic friendship got in the way. Here's hoping next year!

:) said...

Toxic friendship....bummer. :( Hope it works out for you next year though....